Lone Costume Fall 2006 by Jung Wook Jun

Kodak

Feels like Dior / Costume National / Cloak / Ato all put into one, especially those white sneakers, nearly identical to the ones from A/W from Ato, and those oversided hoodies nearly identical to Cloak. Nothing new or special IMO.

I sure hope tahts a chick on the left, cause Im really attracted to it.

I like a lot of the stuff, especially the black suit in the 2nd pic. Not too crazy about the whole hi-top thing, nor the oversized wool sweaters.

Lots of nice looking pieces tho.

^ Same feelings. Korea has a bunch of local designers like this, Lone Costume, Solid Homme, Sweet Revenge as kind of a Paul Smith-ish rip, etc. It's European styles cut to suit Korean frames and tastes, but priced pretty similarly to the big names. Most of it is pretty shit quality.

I'm not saying that these people probably aren't talented designers or whatnot, but they're not terribly original. They're lucky because the few well-known brands are backed by the financial power of local conglomerate companies like Hyundai, Samsung, LG, etc, so likewise they overprice their clothes in their Samsung, Hyundai, LG-supported department stores and it's all incestuous and works against the local scene completely.

I'm not saying that these people probably aren't talented designers or whatnot, but they're not terribly original.

My sentiments exactly. For some reason, Korean fashion has never struck me as original and interesting; mainly rips off European/Japanese/American designers. This collection is just all over the place in terms of presentation/theme...All the themes are rip off past collections/current trends/looks from Dior/Costume National/Cloak/etc, etc... I can't say I'm impressed...

^ Same feelings. Korea has a bunch of local designers like this, Lone Costume, Solid Homme, Sweet Revenge as kind of a Paul Smith-ish rip, etc. It's European styles cut to suit Korean frames and tastes, but priced pretty similarly to the big names. Most of it is pretty shit quality.

cosign. i didn't buy anything when i was there.

as djrajio mentioned, this is all a rip on the forementioned lines, but I'd like to take it further and say that even if someone didn't know what was trendy, you could take a look at this instantly figure it out by looking at it. Therein lies the problem, as there's no depth to this stuff, most Korean fashion takes buzzwords from Europe and Japan nd then does their take on them and hardly ever introduces any new ideas.

Looking at this you could say, 'gee, i wanna create a fashion line for F/W2006, let's make sure I've got everything: oversized zip up hoodies? check. double-blazer look? check. sneakers with padded tongues over my slim pants? check. slim dry denim? check. trenches? check." Blah blah blah. What is sad about this is there's no moderation and it just looks immature in my opinion. Too much of everything, no selectiveness, no restraint. It's just exaggerations of exisiting ideas. That is pretty true of all Korean styles, and a lot of other things around here too. This shit goes deep.

BTW, I'm not here to be anti-Korean or bash on Korea, I live here and am Korean. I just tell it how I see it. For what this stuff sells at, I'll stick to the originals myself.

I think that there's an inevitable degree of prejudice when someone looks at work coming from an obscure source. I can't say I'm well versed in this kind of clothing enough to critic Korean designers, but I will say that it's unfair to criticize them of blatantly "ripping off" styles from European/Japanese/American lines. When an artist tries to create a certain feel of a trend in their work, it will resemble the creations of other artists of the same trend. If not paid close attention to, most things that belong to a common trend really look or sound just about, the same. I think this is the disadvantage Korean designers have. It's not Japanese or Western work- and when it comes to high, designer fashion- being Korean, a relative newcomer with neither history nor recognition, doesn't ask for much attention. Consequently, they seem near-identical to designer clothing from Europe and Japan and the labels have suddenly "ripped someone off."

^ What you're saying is true, but are any of the ideas shown in this line that new? The ideas that have been played up in this line have been out roaming the streets of the big cities as street trends for a good 5-6 years now or more.

I understand it takes a year or two of planning to create a fashion line, but still...

Those lines like Dior Homme, etc, they base a lot of their attitude and look on outside associations, much of it rock n' roll/music cultures plus a bit of classical tailoring. Koreans have very little interest in and are very removed from the rock n' roll element, and so on. That manifests itself in this line shown, and also in the fact that the consumers here in Korea don't exactly understand stuff like Dior, etc.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Lone Costume specifically, but I thought it was unfair to label the majority of Korean fashion simply as poor-quality copies of brands such as dior homme, costume national, etc.

To be honest, I'm skeptical as to how important originality is to clothing. Sure- to a certain degree, as to ensure that fashion remains diverse to certain degree, but in my very plebian view of things, the pursuit for orignality is often taken way too far. I personally dislike things that purposely try to be "original" just for the sake of being unique. I believe that the foremost pursuit in art, including high fashion, should be beauty. Originality should, I think, be a natural byproduct of this principal goal- not a pursuit in itself.

All aside from my view that looking like a 18th-century neon-pink zombie simply looks weird.

Dismalfuture pretty hit it right on the head. The problem with this collection is that it tries to do anything and everything without any cohesion; it looks nice but lacks depth, a story, a theme; basically taking all the "it" elements in fashion right now and mashing them together without any restraint. In general, my own personal opinion is that much Korean fashion lacks an identity. That is, if you were to ask the question: What is Japanese fashion or Milan fashion or American fashion; most fashion conscious individuals could describe a archetypcal look or influence or way of dress...but I can't say the same about Korean designers. Basically, I feel Korean designers lack a fashion identity the way Issey Miyake; Rei Kawakubo did in the 80s or Harajuku street/A Bathing Ape did in the late 90s, etc...for the Japanese.