ahk1979

canada :: toronto :: general

ahahah that sucks man..

but you should honestly give wing machine a try..i guarantee you wont be dissapointed

Will be moving out soon, and buying new furniture for my new place next year. I plan on getting most of it from Toronto, and then just renting a van to bring it up as my new city is bound to not have any interesting furniture stores.

Any tips for affordable, interesting furniture? I know Queen west has some cool retro/antique stores, and King street very east has some very nice modern stuff (which is quite expensive as far as I recall). Any other suggestions/areas?

Budget is an issue, but I'd like to veer away from Ikea, not thats its bad or anything, I've just been surrounded by it for the last 5 years and want to move on....

Queen West (of Bathurst) has the retro/antique stores your thinking of, but there are also a number of stores carrying more modern styles as well eg. Qausi Modo, but again they're pretty high-end brands with matching prices...

Also take a look at some of the reviews in Toronto Life.

Try to get acquainted with an interior designer or architect and schmooze them for their professional discounts ;)

Hey Nair, what about craigslist? Also, ebay? There are some good Danish modern finds on both. I have a friend who pretty much furnished his whole apartment from craigslist and it looks like a million bucks. Just might need to reupholster some things and you're set.

mm, good suggestions, thanks guys! the only qualm with ebay is that the stuff available in Canada is sparse, and shipping from anywhere else is pretty much a minimum of a few hundred...

check out the st.lawrence flea market on sundays. lots of larger pieces outside when the weather gets nice. bring a vehicle. craigs is excellent if you're willing to put in the time. queen EAST (of broadview) has lots of nice stuff as well..much better than queenW imho. eq3 on king east has reasonable prices since you stated $ is a factor. bungalow on augusta in kensington has a large selection of teak in the basement at a mark up of course. i think the key is to slowly furnish your new place and not to compromise on a piece solely to have "something".

nice nice, never knew about st. lawrence, thanks!

keep it coming, I have all of august to shop around (unemployed before school starts) so the more suggestions the better!

never heard of that one either, I guess August will be my month to rediscover Toronto!

I realize that most stores on King East aren't budget-oriented, but its always worth a look...there might be sales. Start at Jarvis and work your way down King towards Parliament.

will definitley do that.

Had a look at some stores online, morba looks interesting.

Anyone been to Modern Living? Carries some very nice stuff, but I fear its going to be pretty high budget, even though their slogan is "designer furniture with affordable prices" , judging by the fact that they even carry the Eames chair....

will definitley do that.

Had a look at some stores online, morba looks interesting.

Anyone been to Modern Living? Carries some very nice stuff, but I fear its going to be pretty high budget, even though their slogan is "designer furniture with affordable prices" , judging by the fact that they even carry the Eames chair....

Keep in mind that most of the time you see that eames chair its a knock-off (don't know about that store specifically though...)

don't forget to donate your old furniture to this uh, charity that i just started...

just kidding.

mind if i ask where you're moving from/to?

it looks as if we might do a meetup in aug, so if your around you should get down with it. maybe youll make some friends worth keeping when you do move.

mind if i ask where you're moving from/to?

no prob. I'm moving to Kingston in September, adn I'm in montreal right now.

My lease starts sept1 in Kingston, but ends July 31st in montreal, so I've got a month at home in Toronto to buy furniture stuffs before I move.

And NESK, if I can make it, I'll definitley show for that.

imo morba is a horrible store full of very overpriced and poor quality mid century pieces. queen east is your best bet if you are looking for stuff in that style, with zig zag (1142 Queen Street East) being the best of the lot.

mid century furniture is quite popular in toronto, so most of the stores mark up there stuff quite a bit. i have found most of my stuff on craigslist or at yardsales, but ofcourse this takes some patience and time.

Keep in mind that most of the time you see that eames chair its a knock-off (don't know about that store specifically though...)

This is definitely true. But the rosewood originals have long since stopped being produced, no?

btw-anyone have any idea where I might get a copy/replica of the Barcelona chair?

how long are you going to be in kingston? spent 4 years of my life there. atleast you won't be too far from montreal becasuse the shopping in kingston is definitely lacking :)

This is definitely true. But the rosewood originals have long since stopped being produced, no?

btw-anyone have any idea where I might get a copy/replica of the Barcelona chair?

They re-released the rosewood for their 50th anniversary. The reason rosewood went off the market in the first place was because of rosewood being rare....or endangered...something like that. Anyway, its made from palisander rosewood now...its quite nice. You can get their wood lounge chair in the same wood now too.

All the funiture stores on the King street east have reproductions of Barcelona chairs.

You can find used furniture off movie sets from Marty Millionaire. They have Mies repros.

If you want authentic mid-century check Machine Age Modern.

All the funiture stores on the King street east have reproductions of Barcelona chairs.

Pretty much every store has a rip-off barcelona chair now.

Still expensive, but Knoll (the authorized manu.) makes a lower priced chrome version (instead of SS) of the barcelona chair now. Personally, I'm not into the fakes...I'd rather just have another chair...but whatever floats your boat.:D

thanks gimme and adj, good tips. that gabriel ross store is torture, so much nice furniture.

Also, anyone have any design "ideas" or philosophies (pics would be much appreciated). Just searching for inspiration before I start buying stuff.

thanks gimme and adj, good tips. that gabriel ross store is torture, so much nice furniture.

Also, anyone have any design "ideas" or philosophies (pics would be much appreciated). Just searching for inspiration before I start buying stuff.

Download these PDF's:

http://www.bebitalia.it/corporate-profile/comunicazione/bebitalia_home/home-dwl/uk_main.html

http://www.bebitalia.it/corporate-profile/comunicazione/bebitalia_home_02/home-dwl/uk_main.html

http://www.bebitalia.it/corporate-profile/comunicazione/bebitalia_home_03/home-dwl/uk_main.html

Make your house look exactly likes these. ;)

should i even waste my time going on vacation to toronto? it seems lame...i feel like it would be a waste but i haven't relaxed all summer.

It has its perks, but if you are coming from the States, there are way better places to go. Montreal, for one. If you are coming for city life, that's probably the only place in Canada worth checking out.

i am going because my parents are and it will be free for me...but i think i'd prefer to stay where i am then waste time travelling to a wack destination. im in the states btw.