Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! Just wanted to start a little thread for those of us who are into denim and workwear etc. in Canada. It seems like there are a lot of people living north of the border who are into this stuff but not a lot of topics specifically aimed at the Canadian denim community. As Canadians, here at The Shop Vancouver we are very excited and interested in the world of denim, and men's style and we want to try to help in whatever ways we can to contribute to and participate in the local denim community, here and across the country.

Travelling across the border into the United States and over seas to places like Japan for example, it seems like there is a very well established community of denim heads sharing ideas and meeting like minded people, businesses, shops etc. but so far in our experience the community here in Canada is typically a little more elusive. We want to help build it up and bring more people together if we can, by hearing from everyone about what they are feeling these days and what kind of things we can organize together to help create a more active and present sense of community here in the north.

So that's the idea for this thread at least as a start. Please feel free to share news about anything you guys are interested in, introduce yourself, share your thoughts and tell other Canadians about the good shops or brands you're feeling here in Canada. If there are events you would like to see, or services you think are needed, lets talk about it!

Cheers!

fbf40bb1e25b7189f842d6d3f90b7be0.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Montreal needs some more variety. Tate + Yoko and CSM just aren't cutting it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2017 at 3:37 AM, shoreman said:

Montreal needs some more variety. Tate + Yoko and CSM just aren't cutting it. 

Can't even find CSM on the ole interwebs. I didn't realize Tate and Yoko was a Studio and Flathead dealer in Canada. 

We've tried to look up whats happening out east but all i could really find was Denim King.. I guess with Naked and Famous being out that way they have sorta just taken over the market. Its too bad since Montreal has always seemed to be a bit of a leader when it comes to whats next in Canada. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CSM is Clark Street Mercantile in the Mile End. They carry brands like Engineered Garments, RW, PF Flyer and used to have stuff from Rogue Territory.

Now they seem to focus on local labels such as Bon Vivant or closer labels from NYC.

T&T is such a p*** to go to. It's mostly a showroom as they make more than 90% of their business online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto has a decent offering of "RAW "denim brands but they are spread out throughout different shops because most of the shops aren't dedicated to denim. If you try and search 'denim shops toronto' you won't really find anything. Top of my head for Toronto:

BlueButtonShop has Warehouse, Sugarcane, FullCount, Denime, Kapital, SDA etc. Pretty sure they don't do chainstitching, could be wrong though.

Dutil Denim (I think is the only shop in Toronto that has a chainstitching service but it's expensive because they outsource it), RainbowJeans (They used to have Evisu, LVC, Lee and many others but now I think all they carry is N&F and Nudies).

We also have HAVEN (Kapital, Visvim, Neighborhood etc.), UncleOtis (OrSlow), Nomadshop, Lost&FoundShop(McCoys, Tellason, LVC), Muddy George, Gravity Pope, Lavish&Squalor (used to have Edwin not sure what they have now). Capsule and Livestock are sneaker stores but they do carry some brands. 

Big retailers - Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen(Had RRL before not sure anymore), TNT, the Bay.

There are many other shops downtown Toronto especially on queen st. that also probably have some sort of raw denim offering. You kind of have to look around because all the shops carry different brands. Brands like N&F, Nudies and APC are very common to find. 

Edited by HAZARDkid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HAZARDkid said:

Toronto has a decent offering of "RAW "denim brands but they are spread out throughout different shops because most of the shops aren't dedicated to denim. If you try and search 'denim shops toronto' you won't really find anything. Top of my head for Toronto:

BlueButtonShop has Warehouse, Sugarcane, FullCount, Denime, Kapital, SDA etc. Pretty sure they don't do chainstitching, could be wrong though.

Dutil Denim (I think is the only shop in Toronto that has a chainstitching service but it's expensive because they outsource it), RainbowJeans (They used to have Evisu, LVC, Lee and many others but now I think all they carry is N&F and Nudies).

We also have HAVEN (Kapital, Visvim, Neighborhood etc.), UncleOtis (OrSlow), Nomadshop, Lost&FoundShop(McCoys, Tellason, LVC), Muddy George, Lavish&Squalor (used to have Edwin not sure what they have now). Capsule and Livestock are sneaker stores but they do carry some brands. 

Big retailers - Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen(Had RRL before not sure anymore), TNT, the Bay.

There are many other shops downtown Toronto especially on queen st. that also probably have some sort of raw denim offering. You kind of have to look around because all the shops carry different brands. Brands like N&F, Nudies and APC are very common to find. 

The cats over at Blue Button are rad. It's a little different vibe than what I would have expected from a store with so many great pieces, but they seem like they are the go to for selection.  

Does anyone actually know whats happening with LVC in Canada ? I was told that they are pulling out of the Canadian market to focus on getting things sorted properly in the US... 

There was a shop that had a bunch of military inspired pieces that were made in Toronto.. I cant remember the name but it was in a little back alley...


 

Edited by TJSchneider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, it's funny cause bluebuttonshop isn't even a denim shop they have general friendly japanese herritage vibe.

Haven't seen stores get any new LVC, last two pairs I got were a couple boxing days ago for very cheap before the shop cut the brand. I wish the Levi's stores or the one downtown would carry it. I've only seen LVC once in a Levi's store in a mall and this was back in the day when I first discovered raw denim. Even the standalone flagship store during that time before it closed only had the regular 501STF and the selvedge501STF. 

As for the Military Inspired pieces - the shop could be HAVEN for their in-house brand CYPRESS, it's all on sale right now actually lol. That's the only store I can think of that's in a back alley.
 

Edited by HAZARDkid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Club Monaco was carrying the 47 one wash model but, I can't imagine many Montrealers willing to spend $350 CAD + Quebec taxes. (Could be wrong, though.)

Dutil's customer service is on point. Wish they would go back to providing measurement tables online. Some of their modelling is pretty awful, though. 

I feel like North American Quality Purveyors has the most potential. I just wish everyone would take a step back from ordering all these low-rise, slim tapered cuts. 

Edit: Forgot about Nifty-Do. They're pretty cool. But, again, they've got the skinny jean bug. 

Edited by shoreman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HAZARDkid said:

Yea, it's funny cause bluebuttonshop isn't even a denim shop they have general friendly japanese herritage vibe.

Haven't seen stores get any new LVC, last two pairs I got were a couple boxing days ago for very cheap before the shop cut the brand. I wish the Levi's stores or the one downtown would carry it. I've only seen LVC once in a Levi's store in a mall and this was back in the day when I first discovered raw denim. Even the standalone flagship store during that time before it closed only had the regular 501STF and the selvedge501STF. 

As for the Military Inspired pieces - the shop could be HAVEN for their in-house brand CYPRESS, it's all on sale right now actually lol. That's the only store I can think of that's in a back alley.
 

I know it wasn't Haven, We have one of their stores here in Vancouver. I didn't make it into their Toronto spot but this wasn't it for sure.  It was on Queen Street, maybe a 5 minute drive from where Lost and Found is.. They had a decent little mix of Vintage and new pieces.. I think they said something about them moving in the near future (I was there in July 2016) anyway cool little spot in Toronto. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shoreman said:

Club Monaco was carrying the 47 one wash model but, I can't imagine many Montrealers willing to spend $350 CAD + Quebec taxes. (Could be wrong, though.)

Dutil's customer service is on point. Wish they would go back to providing measurement tables online. Some of their modelling is pretty awful, though. 

I feel like North American Quality Purveyors has the most potential. I just wish everyone would take a step back from ordering all these low-rise, slim tapered cuts. 

Edit: Forgot about Nifty-Do. They're pretty cool. But, again, they've got the skinny jean bug. 

Did they do a Club Monaco repop 47, or they actually had the LVC 1947? I have a pair of the LVC 47's I got down in LA at a shop called TriCo.. Don't really wear them much. I fell in love with the packaging I think more than I did with the actual product. 

Thats cool that you know about the Nifty Do and NAQP cats and you're in Quebec.. sounds like there really isn't much out that way though, so if you're looking for things you need to do some searching. 

What are the styles that you'd like to see more people carry ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 8:30 AM, Canada_Steve said:

North American Quality Purveyors in Calgary is a decent place for all good things made on this continent: https://shopnorthamerican.com

The Shop, and NAQP are definitely the two best shops in Canada IMO. Kyle at NAQP is really stepping his game up going after brands outside of NA now as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TJSchneider - the alley shop you're thinking of is Klaxon Howl. I think they're still in the alley. 

NAQP brand t-shirts are really well done. I bought a pocket t last summer and I wear it at least twice a week. If you're buying online ask questions about the sizing. I ended up buying a medium, and at 6'1", 218lbs, I am anything but a medium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, this is Wei Wen in Toronto. Sounds like not a lot of denim heads in Canada. Planning to open a shop here and carry mostly Japanese denim, military jacket, boots and etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, i am interested.  i wish you luck man.  i order my gear online since no one really stocks the stuff i like.  

 

oh yeah, just want to give a shout out to klaxon howl for making one of the best watch caps out there.  it's truly unique, well made in toronto and the shit does not itch like the wool watch caps by the real mccoy's.  

Edited by heavydoom
no particular reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to know if there are any cobblers in Vancouver doing interesting work.  I'm thinking really nice resoles and rebuilds along the lines of Brass Tokyo etc.  Most cobblers could probably do the work but it would be nice if there is someone out there who gets it without having to explain.

would also like to see more variety in footwear selection here.  Everyone just sells Red Wings.  I have several pairs and love them but would like to see other brands.  Niftydo did a nice run of Vibergs recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brenjay said:

I'd like to know if there are any cobblers in Vancouver doing interesting work.  I'm thinking really nice resoles and rebuilds along the lines of Brass Tokyo etc.  Most cobblers could probably do the work but it would be nice if there is someone out there who gets it without having to explain.

would also like to see more variety in footwear selection here.  Everyone just sells Red Wings.  I have several pairs and love them but would like to see other brands.  Niftydo did a nice run of Vibergs recently.

How about Lone Wolf boots or Buzz Rickson boots by Toyo Enterprise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Brenjay - Can I assume you've been to Dayton on E. Hastings? Not sure what their quality is like these days, but they've been the business in Vancouver for decades.

Of course, you could always grab a ferry to the Island and visit Viberg.

@Wei Wen - Are you opening a shop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I am planning on it. Hopefully, we have even denim heads here to support it. 

2 hours ago, zwer said:

@Brenjay - Can I assume you've been to Dayton on E. Hastings? Not sure what their quality is like these days, but they've been the business in Vancouver for decades.

Of course, you could always grab a ferry to the Island and visit Viberg.

@Wei Wen - Are you opening a shop?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a friend of mine told me that there is an amazing cobbler/resoler for all your goodyear welt shoes.  she is located in the kensington market area.  i have seen her work on my friend's shoes, red wings, and she can put on red wing soles for you.  the resoles look pretty damn good.

@ wei wen, where are you located?  i'm in scarborough.  maybe you want to meet up and chat over some shit?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@heavydoom the cobbler is Sole Survivor. They also have a shop on Dundas West. I've had them do my Whites and they're great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey @TJSchneider is there anyone you know of in your area that does chainstitching/repairs? (darning etc.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2017 at 10:14 AM, zwer said:

@heavydoom the cobbler is Sole Survivor. They also have a shop on Dundas West. I've had them do my Whites and they're great.

thanks for that.  sole survivor.  i wish people can resole my keen boots that i have for work.  i have over ten pairs that i have to throw away because the soles have been worn out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-10-31 at 3:50 PM, GregoryH said:

hey @TJSchneider is there anyone you know of in your area that does chainstitching/repairs? (darning etc.) 

Holy shit trying to remember how to do this... We offer chain stitch hemming on a union special 43200G 

and our girl Making A Mends is doing all our denim repairs. She’s got the right set up to do it all proper. 

Hope that helps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-10-29 at 8:57 PM, Brenjay said:

I'd like to know if there are any cobblers in Vancouver doing interesting work.  I'm thinking really nice resoles and rebuilds along the lines of Brass Tokyo etc.  Most cobblers could probably do the work but it would be nice if there is someone out there who gets it without having to explain.

would also like to see more variety in footwear selection here.  Everyone just sells Red Wings.  I have several pairs and love them but would like to see other brands.  Niftydo did a nice run of Vibergs recently.

Whenever we’ve had people come in looking for shoe stuff done weve sent them to East Van shoe repair.... I dont know how she is with a lot of the other types of soles but I’m sure she could direct you to someone that can. 

We ( The Shop Vancouver ) recently started to bring in the Wesco boots and have a collaboration that will be starting pre sale in the next few weeks. 

Miloh is on top of the shoe game , they’re just around the corner from us now in Chinatown. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wound up going to see Michal at Shoe Repair Concierge in Chinatown really close to your shop.  In the mall in the big parkade under the Floata restaurant.  Has a great little shop and he did a great job of replacing the Christy sole on my Red Wings with a thick leather midsole, Vibram chevron half sole and Cat’s Paw heel.  He totally gets it and I am loving the shoes.  Recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brenjay said:

Wound up going to see Michal at Shoe Repair Concierge in Chinatown really close to your shop.  In the mall in the big parkade under the Floata restaurant.  Has a great little shop and he did a great job of replacing the Christy sole on my Red Wings with a thick leather midsole, Vibram chevron half sole and Cat’s Paw heel.  He totally gets it and I am loving the shoes.  Recommended.

That’s great to know. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • :-0

    supertalk is free to browse as a guest. You need to be a member to participate in discussions or buy and sell on the classifieds.

    There is a one-off $US10 joining fee for supertalk.

    You can also become a premium superseller or supermember. Businesses who want to promote their brand and products need to become a supersponsor. superfuture is privately owned and has been online continuously for 21 years. It's a digital cockroach and will survive the apocalypse.  

  • Similar Content

    • By mlavault
      Hi,
      I wanted to share my experience with Spare jeans, a Montreal MTM jeans/jackets, family-owned, operation. I had the pleasure to meet with Prospero Rey, his wife and his kid. I'm in the process of having a jean made, so expect some updates to this post.
      First let's get the price out of the way: 200CAD + taxes for a custom pair of jeans. Very reasonable for what you get IMO.
      He only uses Japanese denim, from Kaihara, Kuroki and Nihon menpu.
      He only has a few rolls available but can order about anything from those mills, as long as he feels he can use the whole fabric roll for other customers (so probably not ultra-heavyweight, ultra-neppy or very special denim). He can only order 59 yards roll and doesn't want to waste anything.
      He doesn't seem like a fabric nut and has a very small selection in the shop, which seems fair considering the size of the operation. On the other end, he seems extremely detail-oriented on the making itself.
      He uses old sewing machines, a Mitsubishi for the chain stitches (he is looking at getting a Union Special).
      Talking with him was a pleasure, and I thought I'd give him a try and report back. I'm passionate about clothing, and wear a mix of sartorially inspired outfits, but also like to venture into workwear from time to time. I'm already familiar with high-end Japanese denim (either because I could see them first hand or try them on, or knowledge gathered from the internet) and own a few quality jeans (a Momotaro, a Blackhorselane, a couple of nudies).
      My idea was a pair of jeans inspired by vintage levis (1947). I'm not a repro fanatic, even though I like vintage-inspired clothing, so I didn't want a perfect repro (although I'm sure you could have one made if that's your thing).
      I went with a fairly high rise, straight leg fit, using a Kaihara 14.5oz denim. I chose no pattern on the pockets, copper rivets (hidden on the back pockets), button fly, striped cotton half pocket lining in the back pockets, classic white Japanese organic cotton pocket bags at the front and classic gold stitching.
      Nothing fancy, something simple and easy to wear. He showed me some pairs he made with flat felling instead of lock stitching along the inside leg seam. Everything was very clean and well made. He also showed me some denim jackets and cinch back jeans with external suspender buttons.
      It started with trying on a pair of try on pants. He didn't have any 30 sizes left so you will see me wearing a 31 on the pictures, hence the not so perfect fit. It was already quite good though and we only had to make minor adjustments to the fit. I, unfortunately, didn't take enough pictures of what he can do on the sample jeans he showed me. Some stuff is pretty funky but those are customer's demands.
      I hope this will catch your interest and will update with more pics from the making (he will send me a video) and from the finished product.
      Thanks for reading!
      Album:
      https://imgur.com/a/glW9Phq
    • By Calbeee
      Hey guys,
      As some of you guys know, there is an Arcteryx Factory store which carries the Veilance line-up in Vancouver for reduced prices.
      Someone was doing this before me but it seems he got banned, so I am here offering the service if anyone is interested.
      I haven't worked out a solid system yet, but I will fine tune it as I go along.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The rate is:
      1:1 CDN - USD: 12% Fee + Paypal Invoice fee + 20 USD within the 48 states.
      Please keep in mind that as much as I love to help, I am making some money from this as there is time and effort put towards doing this. If you do not understand that, you can simply not use my service. The factory store is a 45 minute drive from my house, and the process of having everything organizing and shipping things out takes time too, so please put that into consideration.
      Everything is shipped out of Vancouver.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PROCEDURE.
      1: PM me what you want specifically as well as what you are interested in
      2: I call the store and check stock
      3: Payment through Paypal Invoice so both parties are safe
      4: I pick up the items
      5: I ship them
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Stock List: (As of March 15)
      [] PANTS & SHORTS []
      //Voronoi Pants
      Black
      Sz 28 SOLD
      Sz 28 PENDING
      Sz 28
      Sz 28
      Sz 33 SOLD
      Sz 33 SOLD
      Sz 33 SOLD
      Sz 33
      Sz 33
      //Carbon
      Sz 28
      Sz 28
      Sz 28
      Sz 28
      Sz 33
      Sz 33
      Sz 33
      //Sand
      Sz 28
      Sz 28
      Sz 28
      Sz 33
      *more funky color ways available as well.
      **there might be more stock of the shown sizes
      ----------------------------------------------
      Cargo LT Shorts
      //Black
      Sz 33 SOLD
      Sz 33
      Sz 33
      Sz 33
      Sz 33
      *other colorways available in 33
      ---------------------------------------------
      [] JACKETS []
      Patrol IS Jacket $999
      //Black
      Sz XS
      Sz S
      Sz S
      Sz M
      Sz L
      Sz XL
      ---------------------------------------------
      Anode IS $699
      //Black
      Sz XS
      Sz XS
      Sz S
      Sz M
      Sz M
      ------------------------------------------
      Field IS $799
      //Navy
      Sz S
      Sz XL
      Sz XL
      *Maroon available as well
      ------------------------------------------
      *There are other items as well, but these are what I figured people would be interested in. Feel free to ask if there is something that you are looking for and I can check it out.
      [] List updated as of March 15, 2016 []
       
    • By Caligari
      Sold.
    • By Caligari
      Sold.
  • Top 10 Active Viewed Topics

  • SSENSE GLOBAL
    Church's Footwear UK
  • Brain Dead Black Gooey T-Shirt
    $US 70

    202266M213022_1.jpgshow?id=gf39VV*YhHg&bids=541884.16245891