good hip hop

I'd be more into your post, bae, if you said michealcrappaport didn't spend enough time with the group and wasted most of the film just doing chuck d impressions in the mirror on camera and practicing new jack swing dance steps. Then it would be the greatest film ever.

I'd be more into your post, bae, if you said michealcrappaport didn't spend enough time with the group and wasted most of the film just doing chuck d impressions in the mirror on camera and practicing new jack swing dance steps. Then it would be the greatest film ever.

Sadly, no.

It does feature a lot of interview footage with Q-Tip, Phife, Ali, and Jarobi, as well as virtually everyone worth knowing in hip hop (old and newer). Lots of really funny lines by Phife. Dude is so underrated. Deals with their early history as individuals, the context for their outlandish brand of hip hop, and then the later bullshit/drama with Phife and Q-Tip and Phife's progressively more serious complications from diabetes.

Just a really tight doco about a lot of great people. Definitely getting me a copy when it gets general release...

I just wrote an essay about tribe and my browser redirected me before I could post it.

Coles notes: there's something about their post-career-defining-era popularity that doesn't sit well with me. Given that I'm elitist as fuck about anything that happened in 1995, but I've come to love their music less from a combination of 1) fanboyism of tribe being used as a badge of honor for latecomer purists, and 2) that other crews whose output during that period was equal to tribes and didn't get them into the history books with th same zeal. I guess breaking up is a more bankable route than fizzling out. De la had a much more interesting career arc. Digable was more consistent. Tribes a favorite, but I kinda still fel like everyone just caught the vapors. And now I have to hear can I kick it at very corny kids party and act like we share some sort of common ground.

I don't know if i should post this in the real hiphop thread, but I broke out 400 Degreez today for the first time in about 10+ years and HOLY SHIT. Forgot how dope that shit was.

Besides the obvious singles:

Gone Ride With Me

Ghetto Children

Follow Me Now

UPT

Rich N99z...

Basically everything... shit knocks. Amazing production considering no samples were used. Intro is classic too.

I don't know if i should post this in the real hiphop thread, but I broke out 400 Degreez today for the first time in about 10+ years and HOLY SHIT. Forgot how dope that shit was.

Besides the obvious singles:

Gone Ride With Me

Ghetto Children

Follow Me Now

UPT

Rich N99z...

Basically everything... shit knocks. Amazing production considering no samples were used. Intro is classic too.

No this album is fucking great. That Ha remix with Jay and the video for the Ha single. Good stuff. Its the only cash money album that I actually I own and it stays in rotation.

I'm actively remaining ignorant to what you're referring to and I refuse to have it any other way.

wait, are you the same guy that was discussing ATCQ/De La/Digable at length just earlier today?

or am I missing your real point?

edit - i seriously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. too much vapor consumption? I can't tell, your thinly veiled comments always intrigue/incense/confuse me

also having a rap battle quote from 2007 in your sig is like having a rap battle quote from 2007 in your sig. am i doing this right?

Also,, listeing to vast aire in 2011 is like lighting a cigarette with flint stone.

I agree with this. The Cold Vein is my favorite album in recent history (only second to Question In The Form Of An Answer) and Vast really shined on that album. I dont think he was anywhere near as good as Vordul creatively, conceptually, or on any level but he was still great. It's even more evident when you listen to their solo material. What seems clear to me is that El-P was wholly responsible for Vasts lyrics, if not that then at least the structure of his lyrics.

He just seems likely a completely different MC with the same voice by himself. Except for a handful of tracks that came out at the same time as The Cold Vein where he was probably in the same mental place El-P placed him in.

IIRC "notsee" is the dude that engineered a lot of those tracks and had some pretty good insights into how the album was made so perhaps he is reading this and can shed a little light...

Also, I took your comments about Digable Planets to heart and went out and picked up both of their albums. I never listened to them at the time they were active so it was a completely new experience. While listening I was comparing them to Tribe the whole time. It wasn't difficult because if you listen closely you'll hear quite a few of the same samples used by both groups.

It's only been two days so It's going to be a while before I can come to a conclusive decision but I see your point that Digable might actually be a better group. Tribe is ubiquitous so its difficult to be objective about it but there is a certain charm and authenticity to Digable's ability to stick to their jazz "guns" and stay in that mode (and also leads to a more cohesive catalogue). They really caught the vibe of the era and managed to merge it with the civil rights era of the past and still remain relevant even to this day. It's not surprising given Butterflys Seattle upbringing. But the same thing can be said about Tribes attempts to expand their sound and lyrics while (mostly) staying true to their jazz roots.

It's also important to point out that comparing the two might be Apples and Oranges. Or probably more like comparing Oranges and Tangerines. While they are extremely similar groups there is also a definitive difference. The best way I can describe it with my extremely limited knowledge of jazz is that Digable is like smooth jazz to Tribes hard bop. Same window, different visual.

And on some Wizard What If Hulk Vs. Wolverine type shit, imagine if Q-Tip hooked up with Butterfly back in that era.

Yeah dude its totally on that we are gods dwelling in the infinity of now, fight the the fascist power type metaphysical get free and bring down Babylon type shit.

Take the 10% movement, The Black Power Movement, Weed, and a little bit of Rastafari and you get Digable Planets.

I'm pretty sure notesee didn't engineer Cold Vein. He's not much older than me and that was ten years ago.

I remember someone talking about all this, but I'm not sure who. heBay?

Yes! Thats the guy. Paging heBay to the thread. Hit the thread back at the gawd hour.

wiki says "Vassos" engineered it.

re: ktothe if that's what NESK was meaning to say, I'd tend to agree, and that's why I enjoy the way of the fist compilation so much. Most of the songs on that are from or predate the cold vein era, and I think that is indeed when vast was at his best. so do I have a pass to listen to it now?

K: I'm so glad that post put you up on Digable. honestly, they remIn one the most concise crews in history. It's like the native tongues meets nu yorican with enough brand Nubian to scare crackers away(the wrong kind of crackers, that is) which is the only weakness I'll pit against tribe. Maybe I'm just hella jaded cause when fools were bumpin DMX and I was preachin BR&L, I was gettin hated on by the cats who now claim tip as their GOAT. But whatever. Acessability is the downfall of slot of cats and I'm not so much mad as just over it.

Dest: please don't take any off hand comment I make as a statement against your taste or as myself taking a position of superiority. I just love bitching and geeking out aboutthis shit in a way that's entertaining to myself and hopefully you too. We probly listento alof of the same shit but if I sneak a cheap shot in it's all in jest.

I ain't a hater, I complain alot.