Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

nbyc6w.jpg

beautiful! also, redwing has some lace-to-toe that looks pretty good as well, just cant find the pics yet..

damn those are awesome, more info, like where to buy, what price and how to size would be extremely welcome... :D

damn those are awesome, more info, like where to buy, what price and how to size would be extremely welcome... :D

not my shoe, you can sometimes find it on ebay tricker factory store, it would be around 150-200 pounds i assume. Or get proxy from japan and that would be 500-600 dollars

You can order them from Tricker's factory. It's going to be about 250 - 280£ but you get to choose everything.

for real, didnt know about that at all.

You mean the retricker on ebay or you have to go to the physical factory on northampton in person? The price seem very reasonable if i get to choose everything.

for real, didnt know about that at all.

You mean the retricker on ebay or you have to go to the physical factory on northampton in person? The price seem very reasonable if i get to choose everything.

via eBay, you get just what they have. You have to physically go to the factory store for the better deals. Look through fre$co's posts here for more info.

If you like Tricker's it's worth checking out Grafters - they do a bargain Brogue boot, Goodyear Welted sole. They're chunkier than the Stow, slightly more workwear look.I have those as my utility boots; external leather is OK, internal leather is much better for some reason, but they're damn waterproof, which has been useful this summer in Britain.

http://www.shoeandboot.co.uk/rural/dealer-boots/basics-range/NEW!-GRAFTERS-BROGUE-7-EYE-DERBY-BOOT.html

This is definitely an interesting option. Can you say anything about the sizing on these? I'm a US 8 in Red Wing 8131 for example.

This is definitely an interesting option. Can you say anything about the sizing on these? I'm a US 8 in Red Wing 8131 for example.

THey're standard UK sizing. (Altho, the UK 8 trickers Stow I have are slightly tighter, perhaps cos they're narrower.). On my way out the door but will post comparison w Stow at some point. These ain't Tricker's but are solid and good value - Google, I think there's another dealer doing them for around £45 with only £5 postage in the UK>

just want to confirm...are these two the same?

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...oe-dress-boot/

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...start=77&rpro=

(on the shoemart link, select, 8 cordovan and then look at the larger pictures, they are better for some reason)

also, for any of you that have experience with alden's sizing, how do they run in comparison to Red Wings and converse? Im a 10 in both and was wondering if I could pull off a 10 in Alden shoes.

thanks, any help would be great.

I think the main difference is the leather soul boots are on the plaza last, while the shoemart captoe boots are on the grant last.

could you explain please? all I care for is the design. im afraid the shoemart ones are rounder and not as pointed as the leather soul ones.

also for sizing I was thinking 10.5, (shoe mart has it), though if I could pull off a 10 that'd be great as I could get the ones from LS

again thanks for the help

The last definately describes the shape/ design of the shoe. Also sizing and how it fits. I think you are right in saying the grant last has a more rounded toe. The plaza last has been described as having a "soft square toe" shape, and is more "pointy" than other alden lasts. But I think plaza also has a sleeker shape.

As for sizing help, all I know is that for Plaza I sized up one half size from the true-balance (indy boot) last. I'm not sure how the plaza and grant lasts correspond to redwing sizing. I do own a pair of redwings but I screwed up on the size and they are too big for me, so I really can't help there.

the difference is that the shoemart only has eyelets (metal holes) while the leathersoul ones have the speed-lacing doodads. On the shoemart website the example picture has the the speed lacing on the top, but when you see more pictures it shows all eyelets and I think that is correct.

Personally I fit in size 8 chucks and I own a pair of these in a 8 D grant last which fits me very well.

As for the different lasts, I've never seen a plaza last so I can't compare the two (in addition I am not sure if I am a fan of the soft square toe so in terms of looks I prefer the grant last). Regardless these are some damn handsome shoes, don't believe anyone that tells you that just because they are not on the plaza last that they will not look good.

I bought mine directly from the Alden store in NYC and they had a sale for $50 off, that was several weeks ago. Good luck getting a pair in the right size.

These are a pair of redwings that have been in my work shoe rotation for a year or so. Got them at my local redwing store. The old lady that runs it calls me when they get diff. colored 875's in:D I've yet to see this color any where else. Anyways here are a few pictures.

redwing1.jpg

redwing3.jpg

redwing2.jpg

And a quick pic of my favorite pair.

IMG_0286.jpg

The last definately describes the shape/ design of the shoe. Also sizing and how it fits. I think you are right in saying the grant last has a more rounded toe. The plaza last has been described as having a "soft square toe" shape, and is more "pointy" than other alden lasts. But I think plaza also has a sleeker shape.

As for sizing help, all I know is that for Plaza I sized up one half size from the true-balance (indy boot) last. I'm not sure how the plaza and grant lasts correspond to redwing sizing. I do own a pair of redwings but I screwed up on the size and they are too big for me, so I really can't help there.

Grant is big and full, with a round toe, and a pretty straight waist...All similair to Barrie. Overall the Shoemart boots on Barrie will feel and look more like gunboat shoes/boots.

Plaza is a more elegant last, with a flater, straighter toe. With a trouser leg over them, they will look more like a dress shoe....

There is an excellent post in this thread somewhere from Amlai comparing the AF60 on plaza to the 4060 that you are looking at on Shoemart. Search for it and it will explain everything you want to know.....

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=906281&postcount=5706

For red wing 875 owners: When you first started wearing them did it feel like the inside arch was rubbing on your foot arch? If I just keep wearing them will they eventually just conform to my foot?

I have a pair of the 1906 and I experienced discomfort and rubbing on both the inside arch and on the back of my ankle. It went away after a couple weeks of regular wear and they fit great then.

A new Semi-Dress leather option for you.... White's calls this one their "Classic Brown". Its a dry tanned leather, that will take a polish nicely, and patina with age...similair to the Dress brown, but is a lighter/medium brown. This leather develops a crackly finish in areas where it repeatedly creases, so a patina accumulates on it fairly quickly. The weight is also similair to the Dress brown, so these are not leather lined. Overall a nice new option... Shown here with the double leather sole, and in the second picture with the origional dress brown, for color reference:

photo-50.jpg

photo-51.jpg

And while I have the camera out..... an update on my dark brown water buffalo semi dress...

photo-52.jpg

^^thanks for th pictures bill- those waterbuffaloes are looking gorgeous!

about the dry-tanned leather on the new colour semi-dress- you say it crackles in areas of repeated wear- that would normally be a bad thing right? but the leather looks beautiful, so I'd assume it wasn;t just lower quality. do you have worn pics of the leather yet? I'd be realy interested to see what you mean- i assume just the surface wrinkes finely rather than actually peeling/cracking into the leather? love the colour by the way- personally i prefer it to the darker normal brown

@Bill, youngpunch and miniW,

thanks a lot for the help in information...barely getting the hang of the shoe lingo (kinda like when i learned of raw denim..ha)

from what ive read, i really think the plaza last will fit me in 10...I was looking at my dress shoes and they are 10/10.5 (in the 10.5 now i realize i really could have gotten a 10)

gonna cross my fingers and hope they're in stock and that they fit

*edit

well im going out on a limb here...the leather soul staff doesnt recommend i buy a size 10D since the Brannock Device measures my foot at 11.5

11.5!? thats bull, im starting to think its somehow related to my flatfooted-ness..somehow...

in any case, im a size 10 in chucks and others...lets see what happens....

Farmer, those are great! From your WAYWT's i thought your RW's were suede, maybe the clapton version even, but i am digging that colour a lot. Wouldn't mind having a pair of those myself.

And Bill, great post. Your white's look amazing.