Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

so more info on vibram #705 (kudos to takashi-san).

according to wesco japan, the fish-shaped stitching on the half-soles was invented by bob shoemaker, the president of wesco. because of that, it's called, "bob stitch."

705.gif

okay, so i got a direct response from one the of the big advocates of "bob stitch" in japan. the owner mr. yasushi saotome (tome-san) himself responded to my question when i emailed union made. here's his response:

お問い合わせに件ですが、あのステッチは下側のミッドソールにのみ縫われているものです。

必要かどうかといえば、私は必要と思っています。

かかとまであるソールであれば外周を縫っての固定でも安心ですが、

#705 の場合 靴の前後に対して垂直の横方向に、特に土踏まずあたりに縫込みを入れないと

靴が歩行や しゃがんだ姿勢で曲がるところから剥がれがでる可能性が高いです。

取り付けは強力な接着剤を施して、さらに縫製をするのですが

上記の縫製を入れること、それに合わせ部品のセンターに縫製を入れることで

より強力な取り付けが出来ますので。

to answer your question, that stitching is sewn only to the lower mid-sole.

if you ask if it's necessary, i do believe it's necessary.

you have nothing to worry about if you're using soles that extend all the way to the heels. but in the case of #705, if there's no stitching going sideways, especially around the arch of your foot, there's a good change your half-sole will start to peel off when you walk or squat.

when we attach the half-soles, by combining a strong glue and the stitching technique mentioned above, we are able to produce extremely strong attachments.

good stuff chicken . ive had a chance to talk to tome-san too on email hes really great and he really converse with customers or even me just inquiring customer..

First post, long time lurker...

If you're thinking of getting a pair of the Ultimate Indy's, get on board quick, it looks like they might be pre-sold-out of certain sizes.

(Sorry if this blows somebody the wrong way, I just thought I'd warn ya'll.)

Meanwhile, here's a shot of the White's I'm wearing today... (Not the best lighting...)

Whites.jpg

Dave

^ They're an old pair of Farmer Ranchers that I rescued about five years ago. I'm not sure when they were originally built. I immediately sent them off to Whites for a restoration. The top section of the upper was the only thing that White's kept when they rebuilt them. It was a real surprise to me when I got them back and they had re-created all of the bottom section. I was pretty stoked that they did it. The guy there informed me that my restoration was as complete as it gets, that if the top is beyond repair they won't fix 'em. Since then, I've worn through the first sole they rebuilt and I just resoled them a few months ago...

"Too much info." Dave

I have a pair of ultimate Indy's on the way... but that's another story....

Nice smoke jumpers by the way. I'd like to own a pair of whites...

yeah the whites semi dress and lone wolf carpenters been wearing them lately to work..

The fit pix from the side look pretty good! Try some photos of the Lone Wolfs too! I need me some Lone Wolf or Real McCoy cap-toe work boots, I'm gonna get serious about it. And I'm ordering some Ultimate Indies as well!

First post, long time lurker...

If you're thinking of getting a pair of the Ultimate Indy's, get on board quick, it looks like they might be pre-sold-out of certain sizes.

(Sorry if this blows somebody the wrong way, I just thought I'd warn ya'll.)

Meanwhile, here's a shot of the White's I'm wearing today... (Not the best lighting...)

Whites.jpg

Dave

Those are nice!

The fit pix from the side look pretty good! Try some photos of the Lone Wolfs too! I need me some Lone Wolf or Real McCoy cap-toe work boots, I'm gonna get serious about it. And I'm ordering some Ultimate Indies as well!

ok! ill do that in a while!

My Edward Green Galways, probably about 3yrs old. Double leather soles (I don't believe in rubber myself --- it reduces my pleasure :) ).

I've worn them all over Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Japan) in typhoon season, teaming with rain, etc., over rocky ground, the works.

2rc1mgw.jpg

My Edward Green Galways, probably about 3yrs old. Double leather soles (I don't believe in rubber myself --- it reduces my pleasure :) ).

I've worn them all over Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Japan) in typhoon season, teaming with rain, etc., over rocky ground, the works.

2rc1mgw.jpg

Nice photo, like a still life from an old Dutch Master.

That's right, back a few generations ago, leather is all people had for shoe soles. And they did all those same things. On the right shoe, is that a metal toe tap? And do you have any rubber inserts in the heel at all?

I think the black indys look like a step down from the original.

So I picked up some RMW Bushman's on ebay for 80 AU (almost new!) However they're just a wee bit too large. I've whacked in some random supermarket insoles and they make them fit pretty muich perfectly however they don't sit too well since they're cuban heels :( (plus i have size 12 feet). Does anyone know of insoles that're designed for this type of boot?

Leffot is a Sartorialist footwear dream.It has been a long time since I have been this excited about a new store in NYC.Leffot is a perfect example of a store that not only carries great brands but offers a great edit of those brands. Labels include -Corthay,Church's, Gaziano & Girling, Artioli, Edward Green, Aubercy, and JM Weston.

Address - Leffot10 Christopher St. NY, NY 10014T 212.989.4577W www.Leffot.com

An excellent alternative to Barney's. And it's downtown. The quality and workmanship is first rate, undeniably, and though the styles offered aren't how I roll, there will be immense interest and value for others.

On the right shoe, is that a metal toe tap? And do you have any rubber inserts in the heel at all?

Hello Greg. Yes, metal toe taps, and -- a regrettable concession to modernity -- rubber inset at the back of the heel.

Here are some others from the same stable, the oldest (oxblood ones on the left) over ten years old, re-soled three times:

6h822r.jpg

So I picked up some RMW Bushman's on ebay for 80 AU (almost new!) However they're just a wee bit too large. I've whacked in some random supermarket insoles and they make them fit pretty muich perfectly however they don't sit too well since they're cuban heels :( (plus i have size 12 feet). Does anyone know of insoles that're designed for this type of boot?

RMWs aren't really designed to have insoles put in. Not with my Henley Craftsmans anyway. It changes the way the foot sits in the boot. I bought mine at Gowings after trying them on. You have to remember that RMWs are sized in AU shoe sizes. I'm a 8H (eqv. D) in RMW and 9E in everything else (Alden Indy, Whites SD, RWs).

An excellent alternative to Barney's. And it's downtown. The quality and workmanship is first rate, undeniably, and though the styles offered aren't how I roll, there will be immense interest and value for others.

It will be cool if I could actually try on a Shannon or at least something that would allow them to predict my size...

RMWs aren't really designed to have insoles put in. Not with my Henley Craftsmans anyway. It changes the way the foot sits in the boot.

I agree on two counts - (1) RMW fit very close to the foot. Actually for me, they are about the best fitting boot right out of the box that I've ever had on. I ran 5 miles in a pair of Craftsman a few times (forget what the heck I was doing!). Inserts would only make them cramped and too small. (2) The sizing in Alden, Whites and Red Wings are remarkably similar. All classic American brands!

when we attach the half-soles, by combining a strong glue and the stitching technique mentioned above, we are able to produce extremely strong attachments.[/i]

My bob stitch is pretty much done after 2 days. Although a case can be made for the stitching near the arch. It's still there and since it has no contact with the ground, I suspect it'll be there for awhile.

BTW, thanks for the info Chicken.

^ i think the area right around the arch is one place i could buy the idea that the stitchings might help. because that's the place that flexes quite a bit. but it seems to me the whole thing will be a bit more efficient if they dug a groove first, so that the stitching don't come in contact with the ground right away.