Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Right... Edward Green is on Jermyn Street. I know I passed a Church's walking around in that area. If I recall, just about everyone is in that neighborhood and is within a 20 min walking distance.

Edward Green is there, as is JLP, Foster's is there, C&J has a shop there, think a few others, but that's all I recall off the top of my head.

The best way to go for a vintage workwear look in black is to do the semi-dress black leather (dry tan black) with brown double leather soles, and the burnished copper eyelets.

The addition of vibram will change the look of them from 1890's-1930's in leather to more 1940's-60's (Kindof a Cats Paw sole look)

I've also just confirmed with White's that we can get the Vibram #269 on our Semi Dress orders. Its a lower profile Vibram with small lined, grooves. White's tells me that it is softer than the composition sole, more rubbery and grippy. I like it because it has a tapered waist. Its gives a side view almost like the 705 Vibram would, but is availible from the factory.

semidress269-1.jpg

semidress269bottom.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering White's semi-dress with double leather soles and the Vibram #269.

I was intending to get them in regular brown, but like the look of the boots pictured above. Can anyone clarify whether the above color is regular brown or dry tan black?

It looks like Bill took the above pic from here:

http://www.unionmade.jp/semidress%20variation.htm

The boots are labeled as regular brown there, but look blacker than the regular brown boots in the adjacent picture - it may just be a difference in lighting.

Thanks.

I am so happy with how these look, and once I put them on, I realized just how broken down my old Indy boots have become...these are so much more comfortable right now.

HPIM0787.jpg

HPIM0783.jpg

HPIM0789.jpg

CigarShellIndyCatsPaw1.jpg

I apologize for the photos, the lighting was less than desirable, and I still haven't decided on a camera, so I had to use something hastily borrowed...hopefully I will make up my mind on a camera soon.

I'm thinking of ordering White's semi-dress with double leather soles and the Vibram #269.

I was intending to get them in regular brown, but like the look of the boots pictured above. Can anyone clarify whether the above color is regular brown or dry tan black?

Thanks.

It looks like those boots are either "Semi-Dress Brown" or "Semi-Dress Black"...I have a pair of Single Leather Sole Smokejumpers with Cat's Paws on the way in Semi Dress Brown...I am pretty excited.

Hit Bill up via PM...he can give you the lowdown on all the custom options for Whites, I strongly recommend getting your White's via The Stronghold.

The pictures in your post are all brown boots. On the Unionmade site, the black pairs all have painted heels and midsoles. Check out how, in the pic below, the sides of the heel have been painted black, but the front of the heel (towards the sole) there's a bit of natural peeking out. I would definitely *not* go for this - it's the same kind of thing that Jim's did to my boots. If they want the all-black look, then they best update their materials like they do for the Smokejumpers and Wesco does on their Jobmasters - and use 100% composition for the heels and soles.

They don't mess up the brown boots like this, so brown is what I'd go for.

sd%20fc%20bk%206411.jpg

It looks like Bill took the above pic from here:

http://www.unionmade.jp/semidress%20variation.htm

The boots are labeled as regular brown there, but look blacker than the regular brown boots in the adjacent picture - it may just be a difference in lighting.

Thanks.

I am so happy with how these look, and once I put them on, I realized just how broken down my old Indy boots have become...these are so much more comfortable right now.

HPIM0787.jpg

HPIM0783.jpg

HPIM0789.jpg

CigarShellIndyCatsPaw1.jpg

I apologize for the photos, the lighting was less than desirable, and I still haven't decided on a camera, so I had to use something hastily borrowed...hopefully I will make up my mind on a camera soon.

Sweet Baby Jesus Tyler!! Well played sir...well played....

UPDATE: I just heard back that my benchmade bespoke work boots are almost done....I'll wait till they show up to post pics and explanation, but I will let one tidbit slip to keep your appetites whetted.....Horseshoe heels.......

These were in the leather goods thread, but felt it might as well be here too. Some leather chukkas that were passed on to me from my father. He said they were over 10 years old and the evolution on these babies is quite evident. I absolutely adore them, theyve got a few scuffs here and there but otherwise they've been kept in great shape.

2148011381_77628dc2d0_o.jpg

These were in the leather goods thread, but felt it might as well be here too. Some leather chukkas that were passed on to me from my father. He said they were over 10 years old and the evolution on these babies is quite evident. I absolutely adore them, theyve got a few scuffs here and there but otherwise they've been kept in great shape.

nice! i love that, but on the picture, it looked like some kind of oxfords or something like that, i didnt see that they were chukka boots until i read it and looked again.

It looks like those boots are either "Semi-Dress Brown" or "Semi-Dress Black"...I have a pair of Single Leather Sole Smokejumpers with Cat's Paws on the way in Semi Dress Brown...I am pretty excited.

Hit Bill up via PM...he can give you the lowdown on all the custom options for Whites, I strongly recommend getting your White's via The Stronghold.

I really like the semi-dress boot... I'm saving up for a pair myself. Does 'the stronghold' have a website? Is it better to order through them than directly through White's?

Edward Green is there, as is JLP, Foster's is there, C&J has a shop there, think a few others, but that's all I recall off the top of my head.

thanks (and to you others who replied). but will i find most of the other brands there aswell, like alfred sargent, cheaney, churchs.. especially AS?

You won't find an Alfred Sargent shop anywhere in London. I don't know about stockists of their shoes though. For the Alfred Sargent shop you will need to go to Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk, approx. 2h30min or so from London. You can see details on the alfred sargent website.

As for Church's, there are several shops in London. I know of one on Regent street which is rather close to Jermyn Street. There may be others even closer.

Cheaney, as far as I know do not have a london store. I'm sure there must be stockists though.

You won't find an Alfred Sargent shop anywhere in London. I don't know about stockists of their shoes though. For the Alfred Sargent shop you will need to go to Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk, approx. 2h30min or so from London. You can see details on the alfred sargent website.

As for Church's, there are several shops in London. I know of one on Regent street which is rather close to Jermyn Street. There may be others even closer.

Cheaney, as far as I know do not have a london store. I'm sure there must be stockists though.

ok, thanks. how are the prices then, about pediwear-level, much higher?

I was able to buy a pair of Lone Wolf boots via proxy, which were just shipped out and are on their way. I thought about getting the "Carpenter" model with the Cat's Paw soles, but I already have White's in brown and also have black Wesco's on order so I got the tan suede "Hunter" for variety. Unfortunately these are only available with the crepe sole.

fo1616-133f.jpg

I'm going to be in SoCal in a few weeks so I plan to take these to everyone's favorite cobbler to possibly have the waffle soles replaced with leather along with rubber half soles. Got inspired by all the great customized shoes in this thread, as well as LeatherSoul's suede Indys. Props to Bill (custom RW/Indys), GregNYC (custom Indy's) and tmadd (custom Indy's) for their creativity. Took a chance on the LWs since obviously I couldn't try them on. I'm a 9.5 in Indy's and RW and that's the largest size they come in so I've got my fingers crossed...

ok, thanks. how are the prices then, about pediwear-level, much higher?

prices should be roughly that of pediwear

Another alternative for you would be to go to northampton to the church's, trickers and crockett & jones factory shops. prices are about £175 for church's, £150 for trickers and from the bargain price of £95 for C&J.

If you want to go to C&J though be aware they only open on friday and saturday, and not all day.

I'm going to be in SoCal in a few weeks so I plan to take these to everyone's favorite cobbler to possibly have the waffle soles replaced with leather along with rubber half soles. Got inspired by all the great customized shoes in this thread, as well as LeatherSoul's suede Indys. Props to Bill (custom RW/Indys), GregNYC (custom Indy's) and tmadd (custom Indy's) for their creativity. Took a chance on the LWs since obviously I couldn't try them on. I'm a 9.5 in Indy's and RW and that's the largest size they come in so I've got my fingers crossed...

Great idea! I'm very interested to see how they fit, good luck! I'm a 9.5 EE or EEE in Indies. I think Chicken once said he tried on some LWs in Tokyo and they fit wide. Here's hoping so! I think one can do good vintage-look even without Cat's Paws. CPs also don't last as long as other similarly-retro looking soles. There are some Vibrams that are pretty good, with a variety of different patterns. I like the bottoms of the 1911's. It's a simple, well-constructed shallow commando over a leather sole, with old-skool white stitching. Solid, and nothing overbuilt like many of today's commandos. I actually find this setup more authentically vintage-like than what I have on my custom Indies, and would do the Indies in a different way based on what I've learned since.

My next project is going to Eddie's as well. I'm not gonna take another chance with Jim's. I think I'll send off the shoes tomorrow. I think I'll keep it a military secret like Bill did!

As for my White's, I might be able to resurrect them partly. Alex was able to grind off the ink on the sides of the sole. So far, so good. For the rest, I have kind of a cool concept planned, will say more about it tomorrow when I get it back. Not a military secret, but if it doesn't look good, I might have to send the whole boot to Greg to fix! Greg knows the kind of look we like, and the other guys don't. I wonder about Minas.... Anyway, this pair of Whites might turn out to be just as expensive a pair of Semi-Dress as if the elder Elvis had ordered a custom pair for a Vegas show!

BTW, some Red Wing boots say "Made in China" on them, and RW has moved some production to China. I saw a few models in NYC at Dave's NY. These models look less traditional, and cost a bit less, but not much. They feel lighter and more flimsy. I think all the classic models talked about here are made in the U.S. Here's an article from 2005:

www.redwingshoe.com/news/TC-Biz.pdf

Here's a nice excerpt:

“We’re not leveraging that enough,” [David Murphy, Red Wings president and CEO] says.

There’s brand equity, he believes, in the appearance of Red

Wing boots in paintings by Norman Rockwell and photographs

of U.S. presidents. A marketing survey showed that the boots remind Europeans of Hollywood cool guy Steve McQueen.

“We built the Hoover Dam,” Murphy says, referring to the

boots on construction workers’ feet.

“We built the San Francisco Bay Bridge. We’ve got a picture of a guy replacing the light on top of the Sears Tower in a pair of our model 877s. “Red Wing,” Murphy declares,” is a great American icon.”

I couldn't help but post this auction for a pair of Alden State Trooper boots. Guy says they're only available to the state trooper. Too wide for me but impressive boots never the less...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-State-Trooper-Police-Boots-11-5E_W0QQitemZ150213336229QQihZ005QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

prices should be roughly that of pediwear

Another alternative for you would be to go to northampton to the church's, trickers and crockett & jones factory shops. prices are about £175 for church's, £150 for trickers and from the bargain price of £95 for C&J.

If you want to go to C&J though be aware they only open on friday and saturday, and not all day.

oh, that sounds wonderful! by the way, does anyone know of an english shoe brand named Groocock T and Co?

I have just joined the Alden 405 club thanks to Greg, and can wholeheartedly say these boots are fucking great!

Congratulations. The 405s are fantastic...I just sent out my original 405s (which were my first real boot purchase) for a resoling...I am super excited to get them back, I don't think I have gone a week without wearing them since I received them over a year and a half ago.