Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

We talked abouit this before, but thought I'd give it another go.

What do think of Clark's Desert Boots? I'm tempted. Part of me likes their retro look, and there's a guy at the office here who has about 5 pair and wears different ones every day to the office. They look pretty cool on him. I realize that not everything I like to look at would look good on me. Should I? Tell me if you think they're silly. I'm thinking the brown suede ones. I have no suede shoes or boots at all.

827-11628-d.jpg

We talked abouit this before, but thought I'd give it another go.

What do think of Clark's Desert Boots? I'm tempted. Part of me likes their retro look, and there's a guy at the office here who has about 5 pair and wears different ones every day to the office. They look pretty cool on him. I realize that not everything I like to look at would look good on me. Should I? Tell me if you think they're silly. I'm thinking the brown suede ones. I have no suede shoes or boots at all.

827-11628-d.jpg

I was just battling about this with myself last week...

I had a pair of the brown beeswax clark desert boots in my hand and was real close to pulling the trigger on them but in the end decided not to buy them. great looking shoe but not sure if i would ever choose to wear them over my other boots or shoes.....thats just me.....

the 2 or 3 eyelet suede chukka boot is a very common style, I would pick many other brands over Clark's version given the shoe info I learned in the last couple of years. They look too blobby to me now.

Greg, i've got some in the sand colour. They feel very different from 'real' boots and I would say they look better with slimmer denim. Be warned though, they seem to run fairly narrow for me (I don't think they sell wider fittings), and I had to size up a half size to manage to get them on my feet.

I do think they look rather nice but I saw some trickers desert boots when I was at their factory which were stunning.

the 2 or 3 eyelet suede chukka boot is a very common style, I would pick many other brands over Clark's version given the shoe info I learned in the last couple of years. They look too blobby to me now.

I know - this sort of boot is a standard among the English shoemakers, and Clark's is on the lowest end. I appreciate your clarification "2 or 3 eyelet suede chukka boot."

Because the Marine Corps and Army are also wearing what is called a desert boot!! My step-son got these Danners at the Parris Island Marine base clothing sales depot:

DAN26035.jpg

Greg, the Clarks definitely make a good, comfortable beater for whenever. I got them cheaper at ShoeMall, with an additional 10% off for some promotion they were having, and I love them. They're a much better answer to those god-awful Crocs or flip flops.

I am picking up my custom wesco's today in about two hours. They finished exactly 20 days early (I was actually hoping for this...underpromise, over deliver) I will post pics as soon as I can.

I cant believe I am quoting myself but......went to pick them up today and they did not fit!!!! It was like santa showing up and forgetting your present (even though I am jewish) It was awful. So, they are going to try to stretch them which takes about four days and I will be able to pick them up about next tuesday. They did look amazing though. stay tuned for pics next week.

I cant believe I am quoting myself but......went to pick them up today and they did not fit!!!! It was like santa showing up and forgetting your present (even though I am jewish) It was awful.

I feel ya on that. Same thing with my supposed new Red Wing 875s. Last year's 10s fit like a dream. I bought 10s last week and they didn't fit, so I returned them for 9.5s. They don't fit either, so I went to try on 9s and they don't fit either. I'm not sure what it is, but it has something to do with how the heel counters rub my heel. I've tried like 10 different insoles. They help, but no cigar!

I went Red Wing crazy this last weekend. I couldn't find a pair of 875s that was as comfortable as the pair I gave away. So I tried two other styles, the black 8130s and a model I had never seen before. Brown oil-tanned 8146s with a chunky Vibram sole. Now *these* are comfortable! And they are darker than they appear in this photo. More pictures later.

rws.all.gif

just curious - does the pair on the right (8146) come in black? anyone have any idea where to find? Thanks...

hey all, just got a question, my apologies if it's been asked before.

what is the advantage of a leather sole over a rubber sole? I wore leather-soled allen edmonds for over 2 years, and since I got my red wing boots, the difference is like night and day. I really dislike the feeling of leather soles, walking through the mall feels like I'm walking on ice, no traction whatsoever, not to mention I have to get them resoled now, which is like $80 if I remember correctly. I just don't understand why more expensive footwear uses leather soles when, from my experience, a rubber sole lasts longer and is more practical.

I went Red Wing crazy this last weekend. I couldn't find a pair of 875s that was as comfortable as the pair I gave away. So I tried two other styles, the black 8130s and a model I had never seen before. Brown oil-tanned 8146s with a chunky Vibram sole. Now *these* are comfortable! And they are darker than they appear in this photo. More pictures later.

rws.all.gif

i'm liking the 8130's.

are you in the states or in europe? the 8146's are only sold through J. Crew in the states i believe. i'm still on the fence about them though.

just curious - does the pair on the right (8146) come in black? anyone have any idea where to find? Thanks...

Not black oil-tanned, but black polished. Dave's New York has them I believe, but I can't find the stock number.

are you in the states or in europe? the 8146's are only sold through J. Crew in the states i believe. i'm still on the fence about them though.

I'm in NYC and got the 8146s at Dave's New York.

IMG_0610.jpg

Thanks for the photos!

I almost busted my ass walking into my building this morning

nothing more slippery than wet marble and shoes with leather soles like the shoes i'm wearing today

Y'all are going to laugh, but I almost had the exact opposite problem this morning. I haven't worn rubber soled shoes onto pavement in weeks now and I walked out in my AF60's and as soon as I hit the pavement I almost stumbled over and fell on my face. I'm not used to my shoes sticking to the pavement like rubber does.

I have the brown suede clarks desert trek.

They are ok, I love them but only because they are so nothingy!

No support, they look beat up very quickly, the sole is slippery, they are cold, thin and flimsy. But thats ok, because they are not proper shoes, I regard them as I would converse. Also the gum sole looks much more casual than a shiny leather sole.

I would definately buy another pair, but bear in mind they are slouchy, slippers not boots. I wear better footwear for walks etc

wet marble + shoes = broken neck

I almost busted my ass walking into my building this morning

nothing more slippery than wet marble and shoes with leather soles like the shoes i'm wearing today

Fuckin true. Something about leather soles x marble x water = deadly

Almost killed myself a few weeks ago walking into a hotel wearing these

DSC00116.JPG

DSC00117.JPG

No support, they look beat up very quickly, the sole is slippery, they are cold, thin and flimsy. But thats ok, because they are not proper shoes, I regard them as I would converse.

That's hilarious! The most concise summary I've ever seen about these shoes!

You would'a gone out in style, though.

And Greg, I'd have to second the guy who said the sued chukka boot (Clarks or another brand) would be too high maintenance for you. I have a pair of suede chukkas I got on sale, and they've got some indigo staining on the part where the cuffs of my jeans rub on them. It's all right for me, but I think for an ex-mil guy who prides himself on keeping his footwear pristine, forget it.

I have the brown suede clarks desert trek.

They are ok, I love them but only because they are so nothingy!

No support, they look beat up very quickly, the sole is slippery, they are cold, thin and flimsy. But thats ok, because they are not proper shoes, I regard them as I would converse. Also the gum sole looks much more casual than a shiny leather sole.

I would definately buy another pair, but bear in mind they are slouchy, slippers not boots. I wear better footwear for walks etc

You summed it up perfectly! I would add that I catch my toe on the sidewalk every once and a while.

You would'a gone out in style, though.

And Greg, I'd have to second the guy who said the sued chukka boot (Clarks or another brand) would be too high maintenance for you. I have a pair of suede chukkas I got on sale, and they've got some indigo staining on the part where the cuffs of my jeans rub on them. It's all right for me, but I think for an ex-mil guy who prides himself on keeping his footwear pristine, forget it.

I love getting mine dirty, I don't think these should be really cared for, the more beat up the better.

I feel ya on that. Same thing with my supposed new Red Wing 875s. Last year's 10s fit like a dream. I bought 10s last week and they didn't fit, so I returned them for 9.5s. They don't fit either, so I went to try on 9s and they don't fit either. I'm not sure what it is, but it has something to do with how the heel counters rub my heel. I've tried like 10 different insoles. They help, but no cigar!

The extra annoying thing is that these were custom measured! I don't know how a custom measured boot does not end up fitting. I assumed my foot would just plunk right down into them and fit better than any boot I have ever owned. Plus I had to wait 13 weeks. The wait is killing me. I am going to be in NYC in a couple of weeks and really wanted to bring them (having broken them in allready) and now will not be able to.

Because the Marine Corps and Army are also wearing what is called a desert boot!! My step-son got these Danners at the Parris Island Marine base clothing sales depot:

DAN26035.jpg

I have a pair of the desert boot from the first Iraq war from 1990 and really like them. They don't make that style anymore though and they're tough to find. They're really kind of light weight compaired to the current boot.

They look very good. Hmm, got me thinking.....

I hear that. You just might have saved me 75 bucks! That, plus the comparison of them to sandals and stuff - I like more structure on my foot. That look might have to be confined to something that was back in the day, but that I won't repro. After all, I think Baracutas are very cool too. The first time I saw Miz, before I knew him, he was wearing one. I thought - that guy has a sense of style for sure! But on *me*, it doesn't compute. My wife, who really likes BiG and LVC denim and boots and jackets and handmade English shoes and her son in the Marine Corps - she told me not to get a Baracuta. She speaks mostly a very intelligent Chinglish. She said, "On him - good. On you - old-man jacket." I think maybe the same thing about the desert boots....