mizanation

Shoes that look better with age...

Not a fan of those Troys with... anything. Too casual for suits, and too american to pull off the sleeker, austerity-brogue-ish thing. And def go for brown.

And no offense, Raised by Wolves, but I am not a fan of the Fairfax. Allen Edmonds should stick to traditional american styles--they can't pull that crap off. Remember, they also make these:

hillcrestdisplayti2.gif

Blech.

Not a fan of those Troys with... anything. Too casual for suits, and too american to pull off the sleeker, austerity-brogue-ish thing. And def go for brown.

And no offense, Raised by Wolvers, but I am not a fan of the Fairfax. Allen Edmonds should stick to traditional american styles--they can't pull that crap off. Remember, they also make these:

hillcrestdisplayti2.gif

Blech.

ehhhhh... i was accused of having those over at the other sf. i think thats thier version of flaming.

HAHAHA! those AEs are so universally hated. hilarity...

like those two-button Eternals...

leaving ninjas scratching their masked heads.

Ha, that's kind of true. I was hoping to find a pic of the woven, old man loafers I'm sure they've made in the past, but I couldn't. Bottom line is, AE's are not sleek shoes, in general. When they try to do a sleek style, it doesn't usually look right. It doesn't work for me, anyway. They're much more adept at making boardroom gunboats like the park avenue.

EDIT: IMHO, those fairfaxes are just as bad as the ones above. Sorry.

ehhhhh... i was accused of having those over at the other sf. i think thats thier version of flaming.

that was a funny exchange-----i elected to just stay out of that one. didn't want a severe brow-beating.

hey airfrog,

look!

alden 405's in shell cordovan-------that's badass!

20060403indyus9.jpg

click for link to leathersoulhawaii

Those shoes are hot. Man I need more money. I think I need to invest in the military industrial complex.

hey airfrog,

look!

alden 405's in shell cordovan-------that's badass!

20060403indyus9.jpg

click for link to leathersoulhawaii

Holy, Wait are these exclusives for leathersoul? Can I get these direct from Alden?

Damn, gotta start selling stuff!

The edward green boots are nice too, cool green color:

20060531eglt8.jpg

Saw these brogues on the other forum, again if they were boots...

But then Edward green does do request, probably cost an arm and leg though:

picture319em4oy4.jpg

ddml do you know if the af60s exist in burgundy?

the patterns and stitchwork on them are oh so right

well, not captoes, but look at these #8 color shell cordovan lace-ups from alden of carmel that miz posted on the previous page:

af53view04ma4.jpg

click for link to alden-of-carmel

Man, those EG double monkstrap shoes would look AWESOME with slim jeans. I WANT.

ddml the color on those is gorgeous

if only the toe was the slightest bit flattened

le sigh

edit: the af53 i mean

not that the others aren't gorgeous as well

flattened? dunno if this is what you mean, but the af63 alden calf-skin chukkas have a square-toe-----the color reminds me of red moon. i don't love the square-toe on this boot, though.

af63nr8.jpg

those look too "naked" (plain) to me, not too into them.

DDML did you get your boots yet? pics?

I'm trying to decide between the Indy Corodvons or the AF53s...decisions decisions.

digital_denim, those are the exact two i am trying to decide on.

i didn't know the indy's are cordovans. which makes it a tougher decision.

miz, leathersoul in hawaii has them. or you can call in a custom order to alden-of-carmel or whomever else----it takes about 6 weeks, apparently.

here is a transcript of a CNN piece on Alden Shoe Company:

DOBBS: Now, "Made in America," our series of special reports recognizing companies that carry the made in the USA label. Tonight an American classic popular with discriminating businessmen worldwide. The Alden Shoe Company has been making shoes for more than a century. Every single pair made in New England.

Peter Viles reports from Middleborough, Massachusetts.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

PETER VILES, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): If you ever want to go back in time, get a good map and find the Alden Shoe factory south of Boston where they make men's shoes as they did a century ago, by hand, one stitch at a time.

ART TARLOW, CEO, ALDEN SHOES: We're here to accomplish something, something that's a little bit special, and not common.

VILES: Nothing common about Alden Shoes. They're made with the finest leathers, including shelled cordova from Chicago, fashioned by a 100 craftsman, priced at $275 a pair and higher.

BRIAN COATS, FASHION EDITOR, GQ: They recognize what's important to their customer and, you know, to their customer, what's important is a classic, well-made shoe that's comfortable, and, you know, something that doesn't go out of style.

TARLOW: Hi, Walter, got some shoes to (UNINTELLIGIBLE)?

VILES: The CEO, Art Tarlow, is a throwback, a third generation shoe maker. His grandfather bought the company from Mr. Alden in '30s. His father invented the tassel loafer in the '50s. He says fine leather has character and shoes, if they're well made, they have personality and integrity. Could you outsource all of this? Of course, you could, as long as you don't care about the personality, character and the integrity.

TARLOW: We need to make this product where we can make it best. And we need to make it where we all are, and that means we're in New England.

VILES: Workers belong the Shoe Makers Union. Many have been here for decades.

SHIRLEY QUAGAN, ALDEN SHOE EMPLOYEE: I came here when I was 43, I'm 75 now. And I work eight hours a day. I started out cutting linings 14 years ago they decided I was boss material because I'm very well organized. I like it. They've been very, very good to me.

VILES (on camera): Shoe making has a rich history in New England. Alden believes it has a bright future. In fact, the company is a partner in a brand new shoe company up in Maine.

Peter Viles, CNN, Middleborough, Massachusetts.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

that's what i'm talking about. nice article.

found the cordovan indy's on leathersoulhawaii. boy, they really know thier shoes. i think these are at the top of the list now:

20060403_Indy.jpg

DDML, do you know how much to custom order? Leathersoul quoted me $575 for the ones above. Alden has them for $535 but only in cigar color.

i don't have a clue--------you should email adam knott at adam-of-carmel. really helpful guy, actually. i bet custom aldens, particularly shell cordovan indys would cost a grip!!!

oh, and UPS came and went without my boots. tomorrow, then...

:(

I think a single custom order would be expensive. But I guess Leathersoul ordered a batch and it was about the price of a Alden Fan pair. sigh...trading one obsession for another, thanks DDML.