Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm glad you sold them because i was way too tempted to take them off your hands.

I've decided that I must order some whites semi-dress. I will probably go for the standard brown leather, although I like the brown buffalo too. Now all that remains is to decide on the damn sole......

If I don't sell my Trickers in the next couple of days, I might try to have them stretched at my local cobbler.

I've decided that I must order some whites semi-dress. I will probably go for the standard brown leather, although I like the brown buffalo too. Now all that remains is to decide on the damn sole......

Have a poll! I vote double-leather, here's why.

1. Leather rather than composition: When I took my Whites to Jim's Shoe Repair in NYC, they said that the White's oak-tanned, oiled leather is superb, and they they can't get it even if a customer wanted to order it. And they can get Rendenbach, so they're no slouches when it comes to access. Plus, the sole is nailed down and the waist is very slim and elegant for a leather sole on a (semi) work boot, especially at the price. I wouldn't want to pass up the chance to get such good leather on the boot!

2a. If you want a leather sole, then definitely go with double leather, not single. Because of the broad toe, the entire boot looks a lot better and a lot less duck-like with a thicker sole. This is not an elegant shoe, not like an R.M. Williams that looks good with single leather. I was amazed what a better 3/4 view from the top the boots had with the extra layer of rubber.

2b. If you want a rubber surface, then get single leather, and put Vibram or Cat's Paw *half-soles* on. This will keep the leather sole, and keep the waist exposed to view. Double leather+rubber is too platform-like.

Here's my single leather. If I do it again, it's gonna be double all the way!

w.sole.all.gif

w.sole.close.gif

those are some nice shoes you got there greg very nice i cant wait till mine arrives .. i got the single sole with vibram 269 in em..

and yeah does all whites semi dress use that " quabaug" rubber heel sole? are those china made ones? i assume cause they read like it.. or someone can clarify this ( newbie here)

First I wanted a rubber sole, and thought about having the factory standard vibram. Then I thought about the single leather, and I could have vibram half soles put on afterwards. Living in the UK this is not easy though.

Recently I have been swaying towards double leather, and you are helping me out here. Do you still see the nail patters on them?

Indecisive, me...........?

i went with the vibram 269 as bill suggested because i want my shoes to last long.. i went witht 269 so it would protect the single leather sole...at first i wanted a single leather but after seeing reviews and other peoples semi's i thought of putting the 269's on the single leather sole but its just me..

yeah those would be the ones.. low profile tapered waist.. btw just to help you decide i got the regular dry tanned brown on the toebox and water buffalo brown on the upper leathers on my semi dress i got from bill.. cant wait... 4 more weeks to go!

269sole%20front1.jpg

269%20sole21.jpg

reg%20w11.jpg

vibram 269

im thinking of getting a pair of smoke jumpers too with vibram 705 too bad bill dont have those soles.. i contacted the guys at unionmade ( japan) they said that the 705 option is only available thru a special shoe repair shop in japan..

I ordered my whites (not here yet) with rubber on the bottom. I would have gone double leather and left it at that but I already find myself not wearing my leather soled Aldens as much as I'd like because of my dirt driveway. Rains a lot here in east Texas and I end up walking through some level of mud about half the time. I know leather soles can actually take this just fine but I don't like how they hold on to dirt when they're wet.

I do think that a layer of rubber still looks correct for a vintage shoe. Just depends on the vintage.

demonito - The Quabaug name is from a Native American tribe that was around Brookfield, Mass. Now this is the company that is the U.S. licensee of the (Italian) Vibram company.

fre$co - With a rubber half-sole, you'll still see that great leather waist. With a rubber full-sole, the leather and nails will be covered up. That pair was my only-ever pair of Whites. I had them covered w/ Cat's Paws, then fixed by Alex, then sold them!

just got anothe pair of lonewolf engineers! there goes my next paycheck!

ughh...

been FIENDING for a pair of lone wolf cat's paws for a little while now...

maybe when bonus time comes...

hey demonito -

would there be a proxy you would recommend?

Alden news - several people has asked me about getting Aldens from the U.S. So just for the heck of it, I just called the NYC Alden store on Madison Ave. This place doesn't have custom models like Leather Sole and Carmel, but they do keep lots of sizes. Like Indies in EEE.

They can take a credit card for shoes and ship everywhere via UPS. BUT, BUT - shipping costs U.S.D $115, plus whatever customs/VAT might charge in the receiving country. In case anyone is interested, they can call the store: 212-687-3023.

you will pay import duties with a courier in the UK because they present the parcel to the customs office, unlike USPS where you have to be a bit unlucky to get caught in the net. Couriers also charge a rude handling fee. oh and in the UK the import duties ae paid on the value including shipping. It's roughly 30% all in, so you will actually end up paying $150 shipping plus admin fees and 30% of the shoe value.

Just got these Baxters in on Monday, worn a couple of evenings this week. They're pretty nice, especially considering the US$165ish price tag! Goodyear welted, one piece uppers, quarterlined. They fit nice, and I'm sure they'll continue to look better as they wear in.

baxter1.jpg

baxter2.jpg

I'm reading through this thread and it seems like there are a ton of options.

I'm basically looking for an upgrade to the timberlands I always get. Can anyone recommend a something for someone new to hits? Nothing too formal or with a high heel....I was thinking the gentlemen traveller seems nice....price around 300. Alden also seems to be really popular..?