Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Yup, I'll call David Monday!

If we have a veldtschoen,my guess is we would need a sole that wears more slowly than leather. Are you agin'?

Yeah, what sole did the boots you saw have?

My only caveat with having a commando sole would be that it might look clunky if we get the boots build on a sleek last (although we might not have any choice in the last, anyway).

Re the Commando sole - understood. I've a feeling David mentioned these work best with a rubber sole.

That boot, incidentally, is an -8 hole, I wonder if speedhooks would actually work.

How do people feel about Dainite?

If there is interest, I'm cool about popping down on the train to take photos of all the options. Of course, there are some brummie types who are nearer!

Well, it's only a tenner return on the train to get to Northampton from Brummieland...!

Dainite, for me, is neither here nor there - ideal for a sleeker profile but not as suitable for a boot that would, almost by definition, be an all-weather kind of boot - it works with the Coniston and my Eaton as they're quite dressy, but you wouldn't have the longevity that you would need with a boot with a finite number of resoles...

A Dainite Ridgeway sole would work, though...

Ridgeway or Medway works for me. Do they last as long as an Itshide?

Possibly not, maybe David could answer that. They're certainly the best for wet weather, in my opinion.

Ridgeway is on the right, for anyone else interested (actually on the Arran, and not the Burford behind):

imag0065c.jpg

Also, I don't think speedhooks on an eight eye boot would be a problem:

Trickers Logger MTO Espresso

DSCN1940.jpg

I think if we do storm welt instead of veldtschoen, it'll make more people easier to resole this later on, not many cobbler handles regular welted shoes well, and even less on veldtschoen I guess.

The commando sole is actually not too bulky, only the 'teeth' of the heel that give the hint of bulkiness. The front sole part is sort of hidden because the thread is located a little inward. The ridgeway seems to be thicker on the sole part overall, and might make the boots chunkier.

I'm organizing the group order via Shohealer at this moment, Eaton and LW shoes are currently done, with possible re'order. RIchard only has 12 pairs allowance per month and now the next available slot is September for 6 pairs, but I think October is reasonable.

I think if we do storm welt instead of veldtschoen, it'll make more people easier to resole this later on, not many cobbler handles regular welted shoes well, and even less on veldtschoen I guess.

The commando sole is actually not too bulky, only the 'teeth' of the heel that give the hint of bulkiness. The front sole part is sort of hidden because the thread is located a little inward. The ridgeway seems to be thicker on the sole part overall, and might make the boots chunkier.

I'm organizing the group order via Shohealer at this moment, Eaton and LW shoes are currently done, with possible re'order. RIchard only has 12 pairs allowance per month and now the next available slot is September for 6 pairs, but I think October is reasonable.

A storm welt would just make this a MTO Grasmere though, which would make it less unique and attractive, to me at least (and I suspect to Paul, too).

If the order were placed directly with Tricker's, it might be a more attractive prospect to them as they'd get a larger slice of the profit - more incentive to revive an old design for a one-off, no?

What design did you go with on the Eatons? Be interested to see how they compare to mine :D

^ Mmm, small dilemma for me.

I'll have a very hard time finding someone who can resole a veldtschoen construct where I am.

But on the other hand, I have Grasmere boots (although in black) coming in next week.

Certainly interested - keep the good ideas coming :)

MTO? How many would we need?

I bet we can talk Riff into it, that's three...

Oh you bad, bad man!! :D Just when I thought it was safe to browse this thread ;)

^ Mmm, small dilemma for me.

I'll have a very hard time finding someone who can resole a veldtschoen construct where I am.

But on the other hand, I have Grasmere boots (although in black) coming in next week.

Certainly interested - keep the good ideas coming :)

How quickly do you think you'd get through and Itshide or Ridgeway sole, though?

Oh you bad, bad man!! :D Just when I thought it was safe to browse this thread ;)

You know you want to... :D

CTB, see here I think ordering straight to Tricker's is always an option, but I don't know if they'll entertain special price for small order. What I like about Shoehealer is that you put GBP 100 down and the rest when the shoe is done so more saving time....

Grasmere has plain straight stitching, the one Paul T posted has "M" stitching between upper and quarter. That what makes it special for me.

How quickly do you think you'd get through and Itshide or Ridgeway sole, though?

Hee...good point. 4 to 5 years me thinks?

Maybe I'll get to visit the UK sometime after that :P

CTB, see here I think ordering straight to Tricker's is always an option, but I don't know if they'll entertain special price for small order. What I like about Shoehealer is that you put GBP 100 down and the rest when the shoe is done so more saving time....

Grasmere has plain straight stitching, the one Paul T posted has "M" stitching between upper and quarter. That what makes it special for me.

Yeah, I took the Leather Soul version as the basis for mine:

dscf2320.jpg

Paul already has something of a relationship with David at Tricker's (at least, he's known to him now), which might make it easier to arrange an MTO on a boot that's an old model; also there's the profit margin to them, discussed above.

I'd probably not be interested in a boot with 'classic' veldtschoen features (zug grain, different vamp seam) without it being a true veldtschoen build in construction.

Let's wait for Paul T responses. He might know better what kind of a deal we can get.

I'm down with veldtschoen if at least has a layer of leather midsole, so that when we replace the sole the construction of the midsole is maintained. if they stitched straight to the outsole then it'll be too hard to keep/maintain the size when you do resoling

I'll ask David what the options are Monday. I think I'm in much the same position as CTB, I'd want a proper veldtschoen - it's the fact it's an unusual construction with its own distinct heritage that appeals to me. i"m fine for contacting shoehealer too, but I don't see why we can't deal with them directly. They sound amenable to it, otherwise he wouldn't have pitched the idea of MTO to me yesterday!

rkusmant, you should still get the normal mid sole - the difference on the v/s is that the upper turns outwards, where the 'welt" is, rather than being tucked underneath. Once you resole, you are trimming the edge of the upper, and it's this that might restrict you to three resoles. But I think if you look at longevity in total, it will last just as long as any other Tricker's - the uppers will last longer than standard calf leather, and that's likely to be the limiting factor. Of course, I'm a decade older than many of you guys, you might live to wear them out, I doubt I will!

trickerszug.jpg

How cool would it be to go down and shoot them in production?? I might try pitching a couple of mags to see if they'd like a story.

Great stuff Paul. I wish I could have gone up with you. It's been about 2 or 3 years since I visited Northampton.

I am a little disappointed that both Trickers and C&J have increased their prices so much.

I've said it before but I got my Wetherbys for £90 and later some Stows for the same even after they put them up to £150 because I had been there and talked to them quite a bit. Last time I went C&J had Coniston for £90 too.

Good luck with the group order... I wouldn't mind some zug grain in my life too.

great pictures Paul T ; sucks u didnt find anthing in your size

veldtschoen looks really great but so do the Eatons coffee burnished! too many great boots to choose from

I received my Alfred Sargent Culford boots last friday; stunning beauties and the size was 'guessed' correctly. Maybe not 100% sure about the rather square toe but happy to be rockin my first pair of british made boots

Nice one, SLAB. The Culfords are meant to be a superb boot 'in the flesh' - got pics?

Here's an MTO boot with a difference, only tenuously linked to the topic...

These are the elephant boots made by Lotus Ltd, the original zug veldtschoen field boots manufacturer; They were made in 1959 for an expedition that recreated Hannibal's journey across the Alps in Classical Times:

jumbo20the20elephants20.jpg

jumbo20wearing20her20bo.jpg

More information here:

http://www.learnwithmuseums.org.uk/JourneyView.asp?JID=57&PID=312

There's also some information on 'concealed shoes', which were footwear that have been found in the structure of properties from the fifteenth to the early twentieth centuries, possibly to bring good luck or ward off evil spirits. This well-worn one is from 1850:

victorian20boys20concea.jpg

victorian20boys20concea.jpg

it looks like black captoe, leather and heavy denim combo?

Personally, I hope there's no denim. The IHxViberg boot looked ridiculous IMO. I have faith that with the companies involved, the outcome will be great.

Personally, I hope there's no denim. The IHxViberg boot looked ridiculous IMO. I have faith that with the companies involved, the outcome will be great.

yes, I agree maybe let IH create a pull tab for the boots. Anyway, I'll be surprised if this boots are priced less than $650 considering that many collaborators.

Shameless plug , though not to everyones taste , I am selling my Sanders/Regent dealer boots , UK 8 in brown grain with Dainite sole . Made in England (Northamptonshire ) by Regent (owned by Sanders) . Boots barely worn and in first class condition . £35 plus post , these retail approx £130 + .See pics on supermarket . ebay link with better pics

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110685008359&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT

Whites boot question.

what are the general thoughts on real life wear with Whites:

Water Buffalo vs. French Calf?

i am doing my next pair in an oxblood color and am leaning towards these..

so anyone have pics of:

-Red Milano Water Buffalo

-Sienna Water Buffalo

thanks...

I think unionmade.jp might have worn pictures of some water buffalo.

It is beautiful leather and I always liked the sienna myself. I saw them in Japan.

I believe they will need lining as it is thin, so that suggests not as hard wearing as some other leathers,

Whites boot question.

what are the general thoughts on real life wear with Whites:

Water Buffalo vs. French Calf?

i am doing my next pair in an oxblood color and am leaning towards these..

so anyone have pics of:

-Red Milano Water Buffalo

-Sienna Water Buffalo

thanks...

I have both. WB is super comfy after som wear. Im told its very strong too.

My FC burgundy didnt get much wear, though.

This is WB light brown (nice and light for the summer?)

c928095e16.JPG