Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm considering a pair of these

13366220.jpg

http://www.drmartensforlife.com/

They are considerably better made than the average DM - they wouldn't give them a lifetime guarantee otherwise. And i love the finish of the leather.

Definitely go for it.

(But uh, I'm not sure about the 'considerably better', I have a 15-year-old pair that look brand new. Keep a regular pair of DMs oiled and waxed and you're set)

Definitely go for it.

(But uh, I'm not sure about the 'considerably better', I have a 15-year-old pair that look brand new. Keep a regular pair of DMs oiled and waxed and you're set)

I used to wear them daily for work a few years back, and i found that even with regular waxing the leather started to go after about three years - by which point the soles were at the end of their life as well. Though i am pretty heavy on soles generally

I've got that same pair... about the same age too. I had to order them from Canada in order to get a 1/2 size... they don't or didn't at the time sell them in the US...

I'm working with Baker's and it looks like they've found a solution to my issue with my orthotics... This is what I'm thinking about ordering:

8" SmokeJumper on the Northwestern Last (Custom)

Plain Toe

Smooth Brown

Either a Vibram #132 Sole in Black or a Vibram Portland Sole in Black (instead of the wedge you see on a Cougar)

Single Celastic Toebox

Brown Edge

Antiqued Hooks and Eyelets

Rolled Top

Leather Lined

I'm debating over:

1. The two soles - not exactly what I want but I need a single, one-piece sole for the northwestern last and much prefer the two available above over the wedge

2. Had Josh at Baker's mention Smooth Brown Oiled leather - I'm a bit confused... Is there a difference between Smooth Brown and Smooth Brown Oiled?

3. 8" boot versus a 6" boot... I'm not going to tuck my pants into the boots - main concern here is comfort and second is style. Thinking a 6" boot with hooks and eyelets might do the trick.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated - I'm just about ready to pull the trigger but need to finalize pricing / etc... Thanks, Mike147

I used to wear them daily for work a few years back, and i found that even with regular waxing the leather started to go after about three years - by which point the soles were at the end of their life as well. Though i am pretty heavy on soles generally

I still have UK made docs that are going strong after about 20 years. They started producing them in China in the 90's and thats when the quality went to shit.

Smooth brown leather is what I have on my Bounty Hunters. It's very thick and tough. I like it. I'd go with 6 inch rather than 8 inch personally because I'd get fed up lacing an 8 inch boot and it seems overkill unless you really need the extra height.

I'm working with Baker's and it looks like they've found a solution to my issue with my orthotics... This is what I'm thinking about ordering:

8" SmokeJumper on the Northwestern Last (Custom)

Plain Toe

Smooth Brown

Either a Vibram #132 Sole in Black or a Vibram Portland Sole in Black (instead of the wedge you see on a Cougar)

Single Celastic Toebox

Brown Edge

Antiqued Hooks and Eyelets

Rolled Top

Leather Lined

I'm debating over:

1. The two soles - not exactly what I want but I need a single, one-piece sole for the northwestern last and much prefer the two available above over the wedge

2. Had Josh at Baker's mention Smooth Brown Oiled leather - I'm a bit confused... Is there a difference between Smooth Brown and Smooth Brown Oiled?

3. 8" boot versus a 6" boot... I'm not going to tuck my pants into the boots - main concern here is comfort and second is style. Thinking a 6" boot with hooks and eyelets might do the trick.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated - I'm just about ready to pull the trigger but need to finalize pricing / etc... Thanks, Mike147

badass:

miners-boots-side.jpg

miners-boots-bottom.jpg

miners-boots-label.jpg

(via)

Neat! It doesn't look like anyone has any info as to date of manufacture or availability. Are they vintage?

first with olive oil and then with warmed shoe wax.

let me be the first to warn you off of using olive oil. I know a lot of people/websites recommend it, but I've heard some horror stories about using it. It's apparently the same reason you're not supposed to treat butcher block, etc, with olive oil: it rots. I'm not positive it will have the same effect on leather, but you can definitely ruin a counter top with olive oil and I've been told its the same with leather.

However, if you want a Canadian design icon that's still manufactured, you can't go wrong with the Sorel Caribou Wool:

+1 Sorels. Though I prefer their "retro" model, the 1964:

Sorel-1964-premium-t.jpg

let me be the first to warn you off of using olive oil. I know a lot of people/websites recommend it, but I've heard some horror stories about using it. It's apparently the same reason you're not supposed to treat butcher block, etc, with olive oil: it rots. I'm not positive it will have the same effect on leather, but you can definitely ruin a counter top with olive oil and I've been told its the same with leather.

2nd this. In researching Dubbin my roughouts I ran onto quite a few horror stories with food/animal based treatments. Guess the smell can be horrible.

The 1964 is the model with the D rings and lining similar to the Caribou pictured above the "retro" model. I have never really figured out the main difference.

I do like the your model though, if still lined well, as you could wear them all day it would appear. I like the lacing more. Do you know an exact model? I can not find on the Sorel site.

2nd this. In researching Dubbin my roughouts I ran onto quite a few horror stories with food/animal based treatments. Guess the smell can be horrible.

This is the first time i'm seeing olive oil recommended for leather, but I've read and I've been using warmed coconut oil for my GTs. I recall something about high concentration of chained or un-chained triglycerides and being highly stable. So far, so good.

Any thoughts?

This is the first time i'm seeing olive oil recommended for leather, but I've read and I've been using warmed coconut oil for my GTs. I recall something about high concentration of chained or un-chained triglycerides and being highly stable. So far, so good.

Any thoughts?

I bet they smell delicious on a warm day....

The 1964 is the model with the D rings and lining similar to the Caribou pictured above the "retro" model. I have never really figured out the main difference.

I do like the your model though, if still lined well, as you could wear them all day it would appear. I like the lacing more. Do you know an exact model? I can not find on the Sorel site.

Yep - it's the Sorel Caribou Wool, style NM1481, available on the Sorel site here: http://www.sorel.com/mens-boots/men,default,sc.html?sz=1&start=3.

I grew up in Colorado and Sorels were mandatory winter wear. they bring back memories of sledding and hot cocoa.

Ya, I want to know what the model Christmas...posted.

it's called the 1964 Premium.

They've made a few different runs as far as I can tell. All different leathers, sometimes with varying trim options (wool insulation sticking out the top, slightly varying eyelets, etc etc) A quick Google search will pull up some various versions...

f_72853_1.jpg

^this is the only version I could find online (@sierra trading post.com) with the (imo opinion) more attractive lacing. (Not entirely true, but most of them are women's models.) I've definitely seen a few nice mens versions with the nice lacing in various farm supply stores, so they exist, and not just in green leather if that's not your thing...

Oh, my mistake. If you want one of the various 1964 editions, you can try this one:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Sorel-Mens-1964-Pac-T-Boot_10036347_10208_10000001_-1_-10015

10036347x1031634_zm?$product325$

The 1964s are nice, but I'm not particularly fond of the aged-looking rubber. To me it's like pre-distressed jeans - faking what should happen with age and use. I want my rubber to look old because it is old, not because it's got some factory-installed patina. :)