Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The Montrose are developing nicely. A nice alternative to the EG Shannon.

thanks! and very impressively recognised- I tip my hat to you... they;re not C&G Montrose actually, but the Foster version (also made by C&G) which is very similar- slightly different last, different colour linings, and the tongue in the fosters isn't lined- and when I got them they were 15pounds cheaper;)

Is it ok tho treat my Red wings (IR 8113) with mink oil or do you guys suggest something else?
use obenauf's LP. its better for the leather and the stitching.

sno-seal and peckard's leather dressing are also options.

But the 8113s are Muleskinner leather... I don't know if I'd suggest using any of those treatments on them.

But the 8113s are Muleskinner leather... I don't know if I'd suggest using any of those treatments on them.

woops. I didnt bother looking those up. I thought those were just read that number as the regular iron rangers.

sorry bout that.

but! I used sno-seal on my similar leather rough out boots to great effect.

i think most people's choice for that type of leather is...to do nothing to them.

woops. I didnt bother looking those up. I thought those were just read that number as the regular iron rangers.

sorry bout that.

but! I used sno-seal on my similar leather rough out boots to great effect.

i think most people's choice for that type of leather is...to do nothing to them.

Ok, thanks I won't treat them with anything then!!

sdc11577c.jpg

I picked up these old Florsheims thrifting recently. Been trying to ID/date them, but no luck. Any of you guys got any ideas? :D

lets see the bottoms... They're oxfords. ie: saddle shoes but not two tone. The bottoms should help on the date and the degree of their range. If they have three nails on one side and two on the other plus a leather heel with a V-Cleet they're their top of the line...

Has anyone here actually taken possession of a pair of the Wolverine 1000 mile boots? I very vaguely remember them being talked of in the past and decided to ignore them (for some reason), now I've just realised how great they are especially at the (supposed) price point. Pics anyone? And where to get them?

Doug - I think Bill has a pair, and so does ajchen - i bugged him to post pictures/info here but he never did.

Edit: the only places I know of to get them are in NY - at Scoop and at Cockpit.

Has anyone here actually taken possession of a pair of the Wolverine 1000 mile boots? I very vaguely remember them being talked of in the past and decided to ignore them (for some reason), now I've just realised how great they are especially at the (supposed) price point. Pics anyone? And where to get them?

That whole deal with Papa Shoe fell through. They are only available at the manf. set price.

Thanks Drz but that link is not working for me.... anyone else having this prob? I mean the link takes me to a places that has 4 options for the collection, when I click one it takes me to wolverine's page with three pictures of wolv offerings (one being the 1000 mile) but when I click it, it takes me back to your original link page.

Well after looking at them a bit closer (Wolv 1000), I'm not sure they're worth $100 more than the RWs. They both use chromexel leather afterall. I was hopeing they offered the 1000 mile in a black cap toe (as RW does not as far as I know), but apparently they're not. The other part of the line (non USA made) look ok and do have a cap on one or two models but those also feature some details that are too modern like weird sewing patterns, clunky heals, etc. I sure the 1000 mile is a great boot but the fact that they're even more exclusive than the red wings seems fake as hell to me too, a little too overly marketed, beutiquey IMHO.

That low-cut oxford looks pretty nice. I wonder what that will cost when it is released.

That low-cut oxford looks pretty nice. I wonder what that will cost when it is released.

I also didn't care for the toe box of the 1000 mile boot, though I agree with you about the low oxford, it has a good shape - the toe box works better for it IMHO. Even so, I pretty much prefer the RW toe box... even on the oxfords. I just wish to God they'd reproduce this shoe:

redwing81001.png

I was hopeing they offered the 1000 mile in a black cap toe (as RW does not as far as I know), but apparently they're not.

Woops, I just realised that Red Wings makes a black cap-toe Iron Ranger, the 8114. It says that it's made from "Harness" leather (which I always confuse with "briddle" leather but anyway), what character does this leather have... I assume it would polish up well and be tougher than chromexel to break in. However the (blk) boots look awfully dull in all the pictures I've seen of them. And the russet ones look to be a pull-up leather.. but I'm not sure if it's the same as what's used for the black model. Anyone seen the black iron ranger up close?

I also didn't care for the toe box of the 1000 mile boot, though I agree with you about the low oxford, it has a good shape - the toe box works better for it IMHO. Even so, I pretty much prefer the RW toe box... even on the oxfords. I just wish to God they'd reproduce this shoe:

redwing81001.png

I used to get some killer cap toe work shoes in the 80's and early 90's made by Carolina with the thin old style sold on them (red cardinal on the sole). Wish they still made those!

Hi, everyone. I received a pair of Red Wing 9016s from Cultizm a couple of weeks ago, and I have a problem with the boot I'd like to run by you. I've worn the boots a handful of times and when I took them off yesterday, I saw this:

455c2eb1.jpg

As you can see, the black roll atop the shaft has cracked. Now, I don't plan on completely babying these boots, but I'd like to know if this is an issue I should take care of, either through a cobbler or Red Wing. Thanks in advance,

David

Did you mean to call it "egay" (the "b" and "g" are so close it could have been a slip up), but, if so, that is so witty. (10)