Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

yeah, thats weird, did they change the last with the second run?

my roys are currently held by customs, not very good news at all...

that's wierd. the profile for the boot on the actual alden site had it listed as being on the barrie last.

true. plus - the context crew told me that there was a shortage on the barrie last supply - maybe the solution was using true balance instead ?

today is washing-day

25042010525.jpg

25042010538.jpg

25042010536.jpg

at first i brushed off all the dust & dirt that was on them from some days of yardwork.

then i cleaned the laces and "one" boot just with a brush and water.

going to oil the one i've cleaned now and hopefully i can post some comparison pics...

choice - can you take pics of the sole / also the bottom ?? Thanks

I will take some pics of the boots later today. The sole is soo comfy and doesn't look all goofy like most crepe soles.

choice - can you take pics of the sole / also the bottom ?? Thanks

Beatle, my cam battery died, so no Roy pics. But the sole is the same as the one on my cigar NST (old pics):

AldenNSTcrepe.jpg

I actually picked those up. Pretty good deal! I wish they were Ultimate Indy's! They are not made of chromexcel, do not have the leather lining, and do not have the commando soles though.

I'm pretty sure those are the Orvis Aviator boots, not the Ult Indys...

I'm not quite sure they are the Orvis Aviator Boots because they seem to be made out of Kudu "Heavily Oiled" leather rather than the oiled nubuck of the Aviators. Either way great deal! I compared the measurements he listed to that of my other Alden's and the sizing was more like a 10EE.

Just reading up on the trubalance last....Choice - you have "normal" feet, right ?

quote from Alden

The Trubalance Last was designed to fit from the normal foot shape to the extremely pronated heavy foot with square forefoot or splay foot. The Trubalance has a wide ball tread, straight inner border and broad outer border with much lateral displacement. It is our highest and widest toe last with very roomy walled inner and outer borders. It is our most commodious last for foot deformities such as hammer toes, overlapping toes, enlarged joints, etc. At the same time it is the best last to accommodate prescribed corrections, particularly full plantar inserts. In spite of these accommodation features, the Trubalance will retain control at the heel so that the foot remains in balance on the correction and will not rotate or slide forward within the shoe.

The Trubalance will also fit a Pes Cavus type foot well and particularly well when plantar inserts are prescribed; this in the past has always been a problem.

With or without prescribed corrections, the Trubalance.Last will offer the fitter the most commodious forepart, plentiful depth and shank width while retaining a snug heel control. It is a must for the congenital square shaped Pes Planus.

With precise fitting, the Trubalance Last will produce the most gratifying results. It is most dependable and versatile in its uses.

So anyone out there who jumped on the first preorder and already received the Roys - are they Barrie Last (quote from Selectism “The Roy Boot is made on the Barrie last and is cut and sewn of Chromexcel (pull-up) leather ) or Trublance as stated on preorder V ?

I have pretty "normal" feet, and have Alden boots on both the Trubalance & Barrie lasts. The only difference in feel that I notice, is that the Trubalance last offer more medial support. But both are incredibly comfortable.

So anyone out there who jumped on the first preorder and already received the Roys - are they Barrie Last (quote from Selectism “The Roy Boot is made on the Barrie last and is cut and sewn of Chromexcel (pull-up) leather ) or Trublance as stated on preorder V ?

Whether they are on the Barrie Last or the Trublance Last you would size both exactly the same. They are both wide lasts that fit a 1/2 size larger. This is what Alden affectionados and dealers have told me. I was under the impression the Roy's were on Trubalance Last!

With the exception of having stupidly long toes, I have relatively normal feet. Anyone have any boots built on the trubalance last for comparison?

I've got some Trubalances. What do you need?

Thanks < Tech, The first pre order was stated to be barrie last..I know that at some point in production Alden ran into a shortage. Maybe that's why they switched it. If they fit the same, cool..

What are the main differences between barrie and trublance ?

mmm,even though they are quite similar, I hope the Roys come on a Barrie last since I already own two pairs with trubalance last

Thanks < Tech, The first pre order was stated to be barrie last..I know that at some point in production Alden ran into a shortage. Maybe that's why they switched it. If they fit the same, cool..

What are the main differences between barrie and trublance ?

Honestly I think the only difference is a taller toe and rounder "tip" on the trubalance versus the Barrie. The difference is minimal at best. I've even heard dealers claim they were identical in the past. I'm sure someone could chime in with slightly more accurate details.

Speaking of Roy boots:

005zft.jpg

004gvz.jpg

003nge.jpg

002hc.jpg

001ec.jpg

thats a great boot you got there! wear looks pretty good too, but i hate the sole.