So who really did invent the word "swag"/"swagger" ?

sion'yo

at first i would always think that m.i.a was the first one to use in paper planes.. and after kanye sampled it, it became the most useed word... but I was just listening to america's most blunted by madvillian from the album madvilliany which was released before paper planes .. and doom used the word "swag" ... this flipped my whole world around... i'm now hella confused forever :huh::blink::wacko:

"A swagger portrait is one in which the sitter is shown, usually full-length, in ostentatious and self-conscious display. This type of portraiture was originally associated with the representation of aristocrats and military heroes in the Baroque period, but in the late nineteenth century its rhetoric was adopted by aspiring middle-class sitters at a time when the art of Van Dyck and regency portraitists, such as Thomas Gainsborough and Sir Thomas Lawrence, was especially highly valued.

No portraitist was more successful in reviving the swagger portrait than John Singer Sargent, whose background and career embraced Europe, Britain and the United States. Sargent re-animated Old Master techniques to express the vivacity of the nouveaux-riches families who formed his clientele. One of Sargent's most important patrons was the connoisseur and art dealer Asher Wertheimer who commissioned a group of family portraits in the grand manner he revered. Following his death these were presented to the National Gallery by his descendants. In 1926 they transferred to the Tate and placed in a gallery dedicated to the work of Sargent funded by the dealer Sir Joseph Duveen."

Edited by syed

swag (v.) dictionary.gif "to move heavily or unsteadily," 1520s, probably from O.N. sveggja "to swing, sway," cognate with O.E. swingan "to swing" (see swing). The noun sense of "ornamental festoon" is first found 1794. Colloquial sense of "promotional material" (from recording companies, etc.) was in use by 2001; swag was English criminal's slang for "quantity of stolen property, loot" from c.1839. Earlier senses of "bulky bag" (c.1300) and "big, blustering fellow" (1580s) may represent separate borrowings from the Scandinavian source. Swag lamp attested from 1966.

You're joking with this thread right? You made this to troll correct? Say yes even if you didn't please...

not even trolling yo .. my whole world has been flipped up-side down.. i can't do anything right now until i find out !

my whole world has been flipped up-side down.. i can't do anything right now until i find out !

TVJA7.png

at first i would always think that m.i.a was the first one to use in paper planes.. and after kanye sampled it, it became the most useed word... but I was just listening to america's most blunted by madvillian from the album madvilliany which was released before paper planes .. and doom used the word "swag" ... this flipped my whole world around... i'm now hella confused forever :huh::blink::wacko:

RIP superfuture

it can still be a great resource, but as a cultural item, yeah... you could've said this after the mass bannings a few years ago.

Edited by ILLuminate