Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

Just came back from shrinking my 501's, got TTS for waist and sized up two for inseam. Shrinkage:

Pre-soak

Waist: 19" across (38")

Inseam: 34"

Post warm soak (one hour, then a cold bath for a few minutes after)

Waist: A hair under 18" across (~36")

Inseam: 32"

Works out pretty well.

Brendan

EDIT: Just saw the USA-made (if you could call it that) 501's, they are not STF, just regular 501's (I don't understand the 'imported fabric' crap however...they have the balls to charge that much if it was just assembled in the states):

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10948887&cp=3146842.4305630.11326985

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11326985&cp=3146842.4305630

They say raw not STF, and from my understanding, raw =/= unsanforized

Anyone interested in those 501's and has a 30" wasit should get on these instead:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=501193&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Same Made in USA of imported fabric nature but the quality is also excellent. Selvedge watch pocket, heavy pockets, reinforced rear pockets, hidden rivets etc. You also get that skinny exposed selvedge lining instead of the giant fat ones that Levis has been putting on their selvedge jeans lately.

It's also the 1947 cut

They say raw not STF, and from my understanding, raw =/= unsanforized

You can't trust a single word on their site. The pair of selvage 501s I bought online last June was STF and nowhere on the site did it say STF. If it had I probably would not have taken the chance on them at the inseams they were offering. Also WHY in the world would they NOT offer anything and everything on their website and make you call a store to find something. Seems silly to me. My god it's like they're doing it on purpose... just like the cheaper 201s they offer online with height challenged inseams only.

You can't trust a single word on their site. The pair of selvage 501s I bought online last June was STF and nowhere on the site did it say STF. If it had I probably would not have taken the chance on them at the inseams they were offering. Also WHY in the world would they NOT offer anything and everything on their website and make you call a store to find something. Seems silly to me. My god it's like they're doing it on purpose... just like the cheaper 201s they offer online with height challenged inseams only.

I hate it when companies have a useless website, we are in the 21st century if you are going to have a website do it properly and have info that is accurate.

Looks like those USA-made 501's are already on sale.

Still don't know if I trust them, though. Levi's needs to get their shit together and provide some coherent info.

I may check out the Levis store in SoHo this weekend and see if they have them.

I just found out that all of the denim in the new Made In The USA line from Levi's is made out of Cone denim from North Carolina.

And about the length, Levi's does 1 inseam length for special jeans all the time. Usually they always choose 34" inseams, but sometimes 32". The only way that will change is if this line takes off and their becomes a huge demand for more lengths. Until then they will play it safe until they are sure it's profitably.

I just found out that all of the denim in the new Made In The USA line from Levi's is made out of Cone denim from North Carolina.

And about the length, Levi's does 1 inseam length for special jeans all the time. Usually they always choose 34" inseams, but sometimes 32". The only way that will change is if this line takes off and their becomes a huge demand for more lengths. Until then they will play it safe until they are sure it's profitably.

I don't see STF jeans with measly 32" inseams being profitable. There's not that many dumbasses in the world. Or that many people who enjoy rocking high-waters...

The LEAST they should do it give higher waist sizes a longer inseam

A couple weeks ago I was in Levis, and they had Made in the USA shrink to fit, non-selvadge, leather patch 501s for 98$. Tag said imported fabric.

I think old Mr. Levi has alzheimers. This has got to be the most goofy, confused company I've ever had the misfortune to want to buy something from. (and I've owned Fiats...)

A couple weeks ago I was in Levis, and they had Made in the USA shrink to fit, non-selvadge, leather patch 501s for 98$. Tag said imported fabric.

I think old Mr. Levi has alzheimers. This has got to be the most goofy, confused company I've ever had the misfortune to want to buy something from. (and I've owned Fiats...)

fabric was imported, product was constructed in the US. made in US doesn't mean materials are from the US.

So I took one for the team and ordered a pair of the made in USA Selvedge 501's. I got them in the mail today. They are tagged shrink to fit. They are made in the USA with Cone denim. They are TTS in respect to the inseam and 2 inches bigger than tagged in the waist.

hmm. so you'll end up with a 30" inseam? not sure why they'd sell them like that.

They sell them like that because not everyone is tall? Seems pretty obvious. Question should have been why don't they have more longer inseam options...I'm a 30 inseam

So I figured out that the jeans I bought were NOS 1987. 3 pairs. No wonder they had the old arcuates and slubby denim and no inner waist label.

I lucked out big time. And I paid the normal stf price, too.

good find - any pics?

good find - any pics?

24 year old jeans

thanks to my shitty skills you can barely make out the "1987" on the tag

slightly darker in person and still very hairy

so when I got it I heard there was going to be rain the next day, so I left it outside for a rain soak and nothing more

old arcuates

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

yes, i'm a skinny motherfucker, but I normally wear 29 x 30…and 28 x 33 is perfect for shrinking

IMG_4971-1.jpg

no selvage

IMG_4978.jpg

shop label, i guess

IMG_4975.jpg

no inner waist label

IMG_4972.jpg

Anyone interested in those 501's and has a 30" wasit should get on these instead:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=501193&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Same Made in USA of imported fabric nature but the quality is also excellent. Selvedge watch pocket, heavy pockets, reinforced rear pockets, hidden rivets etc. You also get that skinny exposed selvedge lining instead of the giant fat ones that Levis has been putting on their selvedge jeans lately.

It's also the 1947 cut

Picked these Billy Reid 501 and received them today. Must say it has really nice denim and love the hidden rivets. From my initial inspection, on par with my LVC 1947. Also love it is 34 in inseam not the 32 in like the new Made in USA 501

I'm looking for a little help on my next Levi's purchase.

Aside from the obvious difference of one being made in the US and the other being "Imported", are there any big quality differences between the two?

Leaning more towards the "Made in USA" version over the imported, but if I can save myself $70, I will.

Reference:

Imported 501's - http://bit.ly/gm87ws

USA 501's - http://bit.ly/h1NKql

Thanks!

I'm looking for a little help on my next Levi's purchase.

Aside from the obvious difference of one being made in the US and the other being "Imported", are there any big quality differences between the two?

Leaning more towards the "Made in USA" version over the imported, but if I can save myself $70, I will.

Reference:

Imported 501's - http://bit.ly/gm87ws

USA 501's - http://bit.ly/h1NKql

Thanks!

If you are a size 31 then Bloomindales has a 31x34 Billy Reid Levis 501. It's selvage made in USA of imported fabric. I just got these jeans and they are awesome.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=501193&CategoryID=5291