Failing College Thread

babybepeezy

i was going to write a longer post about LIFE PASSION but just to stay on the college topic:

Sometimes you don't have to want to study..you just need a different kind of incentive.. I mean I know I would have done a lot better if my azn dad was around to kick my head if it wasn't in a book...

I am not sure having motivated friends helps as much though.. they just tended to make me feel guilty in a "give up" kind of way. Or just stupid... but angry asian parent? yep that's motivation enough to do well, haha

went to a mediocre school on a free ride, didn't put anything into it, nor looking back do I really feel like they had much to offer me anyway. I don't know if I'd call it a waste of my time, because I didn't know what I wanted to do with myself at the time, but it turned out that I didn't learn much in high school or college that I couldn't have taught myself, had way more hassles than benefits, and everything I'd consider within myself to be a talent was there existing in almost the exact same form long before university.

I had a fun time studying abroad because I was left to do what I wanted for two years, where I wanted to be, but I still didn't develop any type of career skills or anything. Maybe I subconsciously avoided any real career, but I don't think I was ever put on that course to begin with.

FWIW I never got any F's in college, but I got a bunch of D's and I graduated with a 2.35, just stopped giving a fuck after 2nd year.

I nearly got withdrawn from school after my first year. I did summer school and worked hard the subsequent couple semesters. Then I got in my head that the end goal was just the degree, having fun, etc. So I pulled mediocre grades and finished up.

Post-undergrad, I've been working truly shitty jobs, taking dozens of hours part-time trying to pull my GPA up in order to get into a masters program somewhere.

If I could have done it over, I should have dropped out my freshman year, worked until I figured out what I really wanted out of life, and started fresh. Would have saved me a lot of worry, stress, and money.

Probably gonna get neg rep'd because it's not really in line with the rest of the thread

Busted my ass off in high school, only kid from my school to go to an Ivy in a long, long time. Still working my ass off, and I'm not even doing bad (in fact did great last year) but I'm honestly terrified that it's not going to pay off. Nothing more discouraging than cold calling places for months and ending up with a shitty job at home when everyone around you is in fucking NYC doing something cool.

So I guess not really "failing out of college" but "failing to get what I wanted from college". I better fucking get a good job next summer.

I may not get great grades or have a decent GPA. I could possibly fail out, but I always attempt to at least focus the attention I do feel like giving out on my major. I'm pretty certain I just got an internship with a city councilman, so things are looking up. Keep your head up. Bullshit the classes you don't really care about and focus on your major. You should care with your major; if you don't, do some thinking about what youre doing.

How many people actually apply their college majors after graduation? I mean ideally you would find a career relevant to your Bachelor's, but realistically, you're just chasing the certificate paper right? After a B.S. or B.A. you just go from there...

yeah i didn't go last quarter to my school.

i work in fashion now its kind of awesome. i make stuff every day with this designer and we send them off to stores etc. idk making things is fun. people buy this stuff. my boss teaches me how to make things after work is over.

i kind of feel like i have a clearer head.

i didn't even sign up for classes in the fall =\ i'm pretty sure i can't go back to the same school.

so i don't have a plan, but i did stop and i am happier. just gotta figure out the future now that i got the present sorted.

i attended cc for 4 years. transferred to a university and changed my major twice. got kicked out and transferred again. i'm currently on academic probation again and to top it off, i have a meeting coming up with the associate dean of students because i was accused of cheating.

yeah, dropping out (or kicked out) is probably the best option.

seriously though, it's at the back of my mind. my heart just isn't in it anymore. it really wasn't from the beginning but like others said, i took classes to find something that would interest me. guess i never really found it. only thing stopping me from dropping out is that i feel i'd be letting my family down by not finishing. i understand a bachelors isn't much these days but just that feeling of graduating from college is an accomplishment in itself.

/sad/hard times

If I could have done it over, I should have dropped out my freshman year, worked until I figured out what I really wanted out of life, and started fresh. Would have saved me a lot of worry, stress, and money.

yeah :(

because when you're still feeling aimless four years from now you might be thinking about grad school
Currently doing anything but failing college, but I don't see the point in my good grades if I feel aimless in direction.

and someday you wont be aimless.

I graduated with a history degree, good enough grades to do a masters/law but I'm not there right now...

meanwhile I worked a bunch of mediocre/pretty rewarding jobs and decided to go back to school for some technical training. I actually have a pretty good chance at applying these new skills at actual work (career...omfg!!)

do a degree if you want, don't if you don't want to, just do something that matters to you at this moment in time :cool:

I did absolutely AWFUL my first semester of college. I had no idea what I wanted to do/go for and my parents didn't attend college and couldn't offer much advice. I ended up just picking engineering because I heard engineers make tons of money but I hated the courses I had to take and wasn't interested at all. I also was able to get by super easy in high school with no studying/effort and that just didn't fly in college. I'm surprised I wasn't kicked out with the GPA I got. I'm still in school and still don't really know what I want to do. In the 3 semesters so far after my terrible first, I've managed to get no grades lower than a B and raise my GPA, although it will never be as high as I'd like/ I know I could have gotten it.. I always get depressed thinking of it