Yoga and Meditation Thread

I wish I had a regular yoga practice. I haven't found a teacher I like and that I can afford. I don't know enough yoga to do it on my own.

I used to have a daily zazen practice, but I have become lazy and apathetic. Planning on (seems to be a trend) revitalizing it very soon. I should just do it. When I sat every day, my life was measurably more enjoyable. I really dug the way I operated. I attribute almost all of that to zazen. Just has to become a ritual, once it's that, it's not immediately, and constantly, boring.

If anyone is interested in zazen, check out

. Other than having your posture personally adjusted, you won't need much more instruction than that.
I did a search, but couldn't find a yoga/meditation thread. Over the past couple years both have become an important part of my life. Anyone else get down with some yoga? :)

What's your practice like? (frequency, style, history)

Do any meditation?

I have practiced zen on and off for the past two years, more self guided before that but I can say that having a teacher or a group to practice with regularly is really beneficial. Has anyone been on a retreat?

I tend to approach meditation and zen/yoga from a purely scientific / focus standpoint.

Here are some pop culture-esque resources that I think were pretty relevant:

Mihaly Csikzentmihalyi – Flow : The Psychology of Optimal Experience

Winnifred Gallagher – Rapt : Attention and the Focused Life

Mindfulness in Plain English – (which I'm reading right now, and kind of pissed at myself for having bought on amazon when I just found the full pdf right here)

Anyways, sorry for the digression, but I have had a personal pet research project on focus and attention for sometime now and find it extremely interesting.

Some web resources – zenhabits.net by leo babuta

personally practice an hour a day including 20 mins of meditation

and hour and a half weekly class

since beginning I cant imagine how I lived without it

I have learnt yoga nidra although im not aware of every strand

i'm curious as i feel somewhat of a novice

• 2 weeks later...

books are fine for meditation, but I would recommend that you go and take lessons for yoga. They don't have to be private, but having an instructor and other people to look at is tremendously helpful.

I liken yoga to a martial art, there are many similarities. One would not begin martial art training just on a book. :)

Great to hear from you guys :). I still feel completely uneducated in all facets of spirituality within my practice. I really need to start reading some more books and consider a retreat soon. Can anyone recommend any books?

I think Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is the best book on Zen. I would caution you on taking zen study seriously while having a meditation practice. Consulting a teacher is a good idea. It can be some pretty heady and cerebral stuff. Not to sound alarmist, but it can definitely affect you in some profound ways.

glad you started this thread! i haven't taken any classes but learn some routines from my hindu friend's parents. i started it more as a meditation/spiritual rekindling rather than a workout. but i defo believe yoga's benefits transcend beyond any understanding.

i feel that pranayama (breathing) is most important. make sure you're always breathing through your nose. sounds obvious but becoming very self-aware of your [prana] feels damn good.

look into Ujjayi breath and circular nose breathing for some basics

I need more of both of these things in my life. I had a pretty regular yoga practice years ago, and took refuge in a Tibetan Buddhist center in NorCal. I miss both dearly and am trying to make space again in my somewhat insane life to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

seconded.

david swenson, founder (I believe) of ashtanga. I show this video to people to don't believe that yoga requires muscular strength and is only about stretching.

1UcIn2W6ghw

I'm going to a class in 3 hours and another one tomorrow