Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

Finally starting to get worried about heading off to college. Anybody have pro tips on dealing with the transition?

get shitty every night of orientation week. it's the best week of your college career.

also, college is one of the few times in your life you're able to completely redefine who you are. nothing that happened in high school follows you, use this to your advantage.

don't worry about getting fucked up at orientation, spend that time to get as many girls facebooks as you can get, everybody wants to talk and get to know each other. Completely clean slate. One of those very rare occasions in life where there's no precedent really, you can just milk it. Talk to the ugliest girls, talk to the hottest girls, get a bunch of names and then sort them out when you get home later. Didn't have facebook when I started college =( Would've snagged so much tail during dorm check-in had we had facebook... I could've just wordsmithed my way into those panties...

don't worry about getting fucked up at orientation, spend that time to get as many girls facebooks as you can get, everybody wants to talk and get to know each other. Completely clean slate. One of those very rare occasions in life where there's no precedent really, you can just milk it. Talk to the ugliest girls, talk to the hottest girls, get a bunch of names and then sort them out when you get home later. Didn't have facebook when I started college =( Would've snagged so much tail during dorm check-in had we had facebook... I could've just wordsmithed my way into those panties...

very true

i was friendly with everyone and talked to everyone, guys and girls. i think i added close to 100 people in the initial period on facebook. you meet a ton of people... at the orientation, in the dorm halls, in the cafeteria line, in class, wherever!. i was sayin sup to everyone. i think i was a livlier character in those early days of college. now, not so much. at one point, more people knew me than i knew people at one point.

then i transfered schools and lost contact with everyone.

Thanks for the advice dudes. From what I can tell, my roommate is pretty cool and I have some good friends in my dorm as well. I have a few older friends that currently go there so I'm in a good spot. Definitely looking forward to networking and meeting new people.

The first two weeks are pretty crucial socially, in my opinion. Orientation is a good way to meet people but then once classes start, don't stop talking to people. And that includes staff and faculty. Just be as social as you can be because during those first two weeks everyone mostly everyone has their guard down because they're nervous and want to meet/make friends. Get as much contact information (facebook, etc) as possible. During my orientation they gave everyone these cards to fill out and hand to people with information. It was an easy way to swap numbers and email addresses. I walked out of that bitch with a pretty high stack.

Get it down your first year cause then you can do the same next year except now you're semi-knowledgeable about the school and help shawties out. And then when you're a junior you can do the same with the new junior transfer students (if your school does that). By the time you're a senior, you know a lot of people, hopefully have a solid group of friends, and you'll be graduating.

don't be afraid to say hi to anyone that you recognize from brief/casual introductions you may not remember. everyone will fondly remember you as 'the nice guy that always says hi' and will be more inclined to strike up a real conversation with you in the future.

plant seeds

Awesome article recently appeared in the NYTimes recently about how people's friend-making skills change over the years of their lives -- essentially, it plain stops after college! In college, you're stuck together in a dorm, a floor, a frat, a class etc...the shared location and experience easily creates friendships. Also, as stressful as college may be, there really are no other distractions in life like jobs, mortgages etc. The article found that as people age, they just don't make the same commitment to making nor to maintaining friendships as you do in college. And as soon as they settle down and have a family, the friend making phase of their lives all but stops so the vast majority of our lifelong friendships were made in college. So take that in mind when you head into orientation. Expect your roster to change though. The person you will be in four years will be vastly different than what you are now.

i wish i could have bought this for real... and i don't even game that hard

just the idea of a 'complete' collection of anything gets me excited

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=300736846867&nma=true&rt=nc&si=wXty5Y%252FRdIlCHgH5%252BWy0uOTGoJc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#shId

Twin Peaks! :)

I got really into it years and years ago, while the second season was unavailable on DVD in the U.S. because of zoning restrictions or something... so I ordered the Mexican DVDs on eBay. It was in English, thank goodness, but I was forced to watch it with Spanish subtitles...