Who makes the best hoodies?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends what you're looking for in a hoodie. Cloak and Raf Simons definitely have some cool cuts and designs, but if you're looking for cut and quality with more of a plain aesthetic I would suggest Spruce. Loopwheeler has been getting a lot of attention lately, as well, for having a great cut with superb quality. Spruce and Loopwheeler, while expensive, will also be cheaper than Cloak or Raf Simons hoodies.

here are some good options raf simons for starters but if you like them affordable and freshly cut there's a label from downtown johannesburg called justnje-amper couture i think if you google them you'll find something ...

ohhh if you can give them a sarah moon print as ''donation'' a discount will come yo way

infrared

if you want to go all out. loopwheeler also makes MTM and bespoke hoodies. haha. i was talking to them today about it.

which brings me to my question. what are the best hoodie details- and who makes the best cut hoodie?

Edited by xcoldricex on May 29, 2006 at 08:57 AM

Best hoodie details? Properly sized hood. This is a tough one. Spruce's classic fit hoods fit my head perfectly; the hood on the marble-dyed hoodie is way too big, though.

Zipper. Spruce's Riri zippers and Richard Kidd's solid-sterling-silver zippers are the best I've ever seen.

Stitching. Must be tight and properly done. My American Apparel hoodie is incredibly poorly stitched.

Spruce's classic fit in size small is the perfect cut for me; very close-to-the-body fit, very slim, and very flattering. I can size up to a medium if I want a looser, relaxed fit.

when it comes to hoodies, spruce is what you should stick with. or if you want something cheaper, i love my supreme hoody. or if your really cheap, just rack some russell hoodies. be like ghostface.

What makes the Loopwheeler hoodie so much better? Is it just the fact that it was made on a loopwheeler machine? The reason I ask is because spruce hoodies look and feel like quality while the pictures I've seen of the loopwheeler make it look like a very generic French terry hoodie and yet the price is about the same.

I actually like the simplistic look because I believe it makes it more versatile than the Spruce (thus why I gave mine away; who needs two solid black hoodies?). It's a lot thicker and just as soft as my Spruce. Also, though I am not qualified to make much of a statement, but rather just read back what I've heard/read, the fact that it's made on a Loopwheeler machine which operates at such a slow speed means that the fabric has little to no tension in it, meaning it will last pretty much um...forever. Honestly, I imagine a lot of fasionistas will prefer the Spruce, and I'm not saying it's a bad piece of clothing, I just think the Loopwheeler feels like more of a whole of its parts. Really, really solid.

Quote:

if you have the money bape hoodies are the best.....i recently bought one for about $1k and i became an instant standout....for casual outings i suggest vintage jordan hoodies or one from y-3

--- Original message by drunkmunky_23 on May 29, 2006 07:40 PM

i cant tell if hes being sarcastic or not.

Guest blackbird

I carry these hoodies in my store and they are one of my best selling items of all times because of the cut (trim body and Star Wars style hood), the materials (lined with thermal material) and the colors (oddly perfect). There are only two problems with the EVER hoodie.

1. Deconstructed/worn in. This style is on it's way out so I wouldn't invest in this look unless you truly love it.

2. The price. They keep raising the prices. Two years ago we charged $129 and now they are going for $179 (see problem #1).

I personaly own two and I wear them more than anything else in my wardrobe. As time goes on, the messy look is becoming less cool and I'm tending to only wear mine around the house. I dream that they will clean it up and progress past their So. Cal. deal.

On the flip side... A.P.C. did a fantastic light weight, slate grey, pique hoodie for Spring. It's like a cardi with a hood. Let me know if you want to see pictures.

Quote:

I carry these hoodies in my store and they are one of my best selling items of all times because of the cut (trim body and Star Wars style hood), the materials (lined with thermal material) and the colors (oddly perfect). There are only two problems with the EVER hoodie.

1. Deconstructed/worn in. This style is on it's way out so I wouldn't invest in this look unless you truly love it.

2. The price. They keep raising the prices. Two years ago we charged $129 and now they are going for $179 (see problem #1).

I personaly own two and I wear them more than anything else in my wardrobe. As time goes on, the messy look is becoming less cool and I'm tending to only wear mine around the house. I dream that they will clean it up and progress past their So. Cal. deal.

On the flip side... A.P.C. did a fantastic light weight, slate grey, pique hoodie for Spring. It's like a cardi with a hood. Let me know if you want to see pictures.

--- Original message by blackbird on May 30, 2006 01:00 AM

lets see the APC hoodie

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Quote:

I actually like the simplistic look because I believe it makes it more versatile than the Spruce (thus why I gave mine away; who needs two solid black hoodies?). It's a lot thicker and just as soft as my Spruce. Also, though I am not qualified to make much of a statement, but rather just read back what I've heard/read, the fact that it's made on a Loopwheeler machine which operates at such a slow speed means that the fabric has little to no tension in it, meaning it will last pretty much um...forever. Honestly, I imagine a lot of fasionistas will prefer the Spruce, and I'm not saying it's a bad piece of clothing, I just think the Loopwheeler feels like more of a whole of its parts. Really, really solid.

--- Original message by jonglover on May 29, 2006 04:43 PM

I realize that I have a vested interest in this; however, I wonder if Loopwheeler garments really are more durable because they have a gravity fed yarn spooler.

Their website does very well to describe the process, but their claims aren't exactly substantiated by the process they describe. Granted, they do claim to have some old, but remarkably well-preserved garments; however, my suspicion is that they're just well looked-after (and not tossed into the wash with bleach every week after Jimmy's rugby practice).

I'm thinking that the Loopwheeler stuff may be a little more plush, because there's less tension in the yarns that make up the knit of the fabric, but that doesn't make the fabric any stronger. It's still the same yarns used.

These days though, there are other ways of making fabric more plush. And plush can be nice, but I personally would prefer to have the option of using different fabrics with different constructions based on the design of the garment.

You appreciate the aesthetic of a Loopwheeler garment, and that's fine and well; however, keep in mind that you've bought into their story/marketing, and that is as much a consumable product that any fasionista (sic) might prefer.

Kane, I don't think it's fair to say that people who appreciate the LW aesthetic "buy into their story/marketing," just because they like the garments and the process that goes into them. I find it hard to believe that a company like Loopwheeler operates on branding and hype more than they do on genuine belief in their process. The fact is inarguable that they are durable, well-constructed, heavy weight and soft. Whether this is the result of using the Loopwheel machine is debatable, but the evidence shows that they're well worth the price.

Perhaps it's backlash against all the media and marketing out there, but I tend to be a little cynical when their marketing material gets quoted pretty much verbatim as a reason for why they are what they are.

From what I've heard on the forums, they are a pretty nice-sounding product.

I apologize if I've offended.

Quote:

Perhaps it's backlash against all the media and marketing out there, but I tend to be a little cynical when their marketing material gets quoted pretty much verbatim as a reason for why they are what they are.

From what I've heard on the forums, they are a pretty nice-sounding product.

I apologize if I've offended.

--- Original message by Kane on May 30, 2006 12:50 PM

I'm the same way. The hype train around here is crazy, and I've made some comments about brands that I actually do like, only because I get a pang when I read such steep hyping. I'm certain the only reason I'm not hassling people about the Loopwheeler hype is I'm just not sure about the whole thing. I'd like to see the machine working myself.

Quote:

CH hoodies are ugly. huge chrome hearts logos, stuff like FUCK YOU written in old english font, and such. at least what i've seen.

--- Original message by xcoldricex on May 30, 2006 11:09 AM

Ew.

And yeah, like wild whiskey said the proof is in the pudding. I notice a marked difference in the feel of the garment alongside my Spruce hoodie. Maybe they do feed a line of shit in that the loopwheeling process does not equal a tougher, softer garment, but they do a pretty damn good job of backing of their claims and making it believable.

You're right about the preserved sweatshirts however. I have it straight from LW that they were in storage for much of that time. However, I don't think that's evidence to a well-worn piece being less sturdy.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry if you guys think I'm trying to feed the hype-train but I was a Loopwheeler fan well before I found out about this message board. I just like to whore products that impress me.

Edited by jonglover on May 30, 2006 at 04:08 PM

I heard there is a new Union NYC garment using LW, though not sure if it is a T or sweat.

I put myself on the Jack Spade mailing list for the new LW product coming soon----a sweatshirt--------the only LW stock they have in the Greene St store right now are very large heather gray sweats.

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 1, 2006 at 07:36 AM