wild rice

yellow rice

green rice

jumping rice

dancing rice

black rice

jasmine rice

Japanese sushi rice

Oh my god I can't stop thinking about rice.

rice lovers stand up right now and give yourselves a round of applause.

for me it's the tiger 5 cup (the white one with the flowers on the outside).

- Kyong gi or kosuko rose for white (depending on which one is cheaper at h-mart)

- Nutri-brown for haiga

- sam gu gab san for brown (requires a lot of soaking first to cook right)

There should also be a rice-cooker appreciation thread

41Z1WE71V0L._SS500_.jpg

I own this.

The damn thing plays a motherfucking tune when you start cooking rice, and when it ends. It's gotten to the point where I have a pavlovian response whenever I hear the melody as a ringtone anywhere.

Also, it's basically NASA's pet project in Japan. perfect rice – every time.

rice cookers are not really that great

you are better off using a nice pot and boiling till it starts bubbling then turn it down to low heat with lid on top to finish steaming

teach me how to make sticky rice (0)

just add less water? or more? too much and it become porridge =\

i have perfect sticky rice. all the time.

my rice cooker > your rice cooker

rice cookers are not really that great

you are better off using a nice pot and boiling till it starts bubbling then turn it down to low heat with lid on top to finish steaming

Several advantages:

- Rice cookers are electric, which means they free up one burner on your stove which makes preparing the rest of your food easier

- They are MUCH easier to clean on average than cooking rice in a pot.

- (Good) rice cookers (like the ones people in this thread are talking about) all use a boil->steam cooking process which is the best way to cook rice in general.

- Ditto as above, these types of cookers all use a pressure-based system which means that your rice cooks with much less water (if you care about water usage) and in much less time (less energy used = cheaper energy bills)

- Cooking rice in a rice cooker is 100% worry free. You never have to check it to see if all your water has been absorbed, you never have to worry about overcooking, you never have to worry about undercooking, you never have to worry about heat levels and hence about burning. Cooking in a pot requires constant vigilance.

- Most of these types of cookers also come with a keep-warm function and, since they are effectively pressure cookers and have a very good seal, they can keep rice at its best taste and texture inside the cooker all day. You can make in the morning and keep using that rice all day if you wish and it will be just as delicious.

- Some of them are multifunctional. They can be combination rice cookers, slow cookers, and steamers. This can reduce the overall number of kitchen devices in your house. Another big plus.

- With a little experimentation, every type of rice you make in the cooker will come out perfect. Unlike a pot method which is very hard to get consistent (an exact heat setting on the stove, an exact amount of boil time, an exact new heat setting on the stove, an exact amount of steam time etc) the cooker does all that for you. Each type of rice is a little unique, but since the PROCESS is identical in a cooker, you can make small adjustments very easily in only three variables to obtain an optimal result: 1) Soak time, 2) Rice amount, 3) water amount.

I could probably go on.

how many times do you guys rinse your rice and whats the best rice:water ratio? these are questions ive discussed with almost every roommate i've had

I rinse until the water runs mostly clear. Usually 3 times is enough.

Rice/water ratio depends on the variety. White I usually go 1/1 (in a cooker, mind you), using a little more for basmati and a little less for short-grain. haiga rice usually i go 1/1, and for brown usually 1.25/1 (more water than rice).

But I've found that a good soaking helps texture way more than an exact water/rice ratio, especially with brown rice.