Detergent..

NoSleep

while the majority of the dr. bronner's label is up on some cuckoo shit, there's one piece of advice on there that you should definitely heed if you're using it in the shower: "dilute, dilute, dilute."

it's a mild soap in solution (as a bath, or for laundering your jeans), but rubbing it undiluted onto your skin is pretty harsh. it'll dry your skin out and it's just wasteful -- you can still get a great lather when it's diluted 3 to 1...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

while the majority of the dr. bronner's label is up on some cuckoo shit, there's one piece of advice on there that you should definitely heed if you're using it in the shower: "dilute, dilute, dilute."

it's a mild soap in solution (as a bath, or for laundering your jeans), but rubbing it undiluted onto your skin is pretty harsh. it'll dry your skin out and it's just wasteful -- you can still get a great lather when it's diluted 3 to 1...

--- Original message by snugglepony on May 21, 2006 01:01 AM

haha, yeah, I don't intend on burning my skin off with soap...

I bathe Asian-style by using Japanese bath cloths to work up a lather with the Bronner's and lathering/scrubbing at the same time, then I rinse off and maybe jump into the tub for a soak after.

After reading all the crap on the Bronner's label, I envisioned the real Dr. Bronner to look approximately like that guy from the Heaven's Gate cult that group-suicided in black Nikes.

ey guys,

just a question that ive been thinking about,

if i was to go for a swim in the ocean for my first wash,

how would it go washing them off when still wet, under the fresh water showers at the beach,

so i dont smell like a sea yeti for the rest of my days treching around in my jeans ?

Would i loose alot of indigo in a swim/rinse off ?

people say that if you add one tablespoon epsom salt/household salt per gallon of water to wash your clothes it prevents the color from fading out. i imagine that telling you to swim in the ocean is a similar concept, the salt water is supposed to prevent the indigo from fading.

Quote:

The ocean treatment is one of the recipies that comes with APC jeans.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on May 22, 2006 08:22 PM

I recently got a used pair of APC's that came without any tags or instructions....Would you mind posting what "recipies" APC has suggested?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I picked up a pack of the Sugar Cane detergent at BIG last weekend along with a pair of Samurai 505's. The guy there (forgot his name) also gave me this stuff called "Thunder Soap" from Samurai.

I'm assuming I use the detergent the same way I would with any other brand, but what about the "Premium care denim treatment"?

It sets the indigo? I'm still a bit confused as to what it does.

Also what does the Thunder Soap do? Is it just a mild detergent?

The guy said to use it when I washed my jeans to shrink them to prevent indigo loss, but I decided not too cause hardly any indigo was lost anyway.

There is also the Samurai detergent, which is actually a Japanese commercial brand called 'Thunder Red'. (http://www.thunder-red.jp) an all-natural no-additive detergent powder, the chief property of which is that it's made with soy-bean oil rather than mineral oil, coconut oil, or rendered beef tallow, which other soaps are generally based on (along with caustic soda). As their website explains, soap made with soy bean oil has a much lower melting point than other types, meaning it dissolves rapidly and completely in cold water, so very suitable for washing jeans.

• 3 weeks later...

gordon of BIG gave me precise instructions on the use of the sugar cane soap:

This is a translation for the Sugar Cane soap. This soap is not necessary for washing the jeans but due to the natural ingredients some people prefer this over store bought laundry soap which contians chemicals.

Step 1:

Detergent- (should say detergent in english) One package is good for one wash. Mix with 30 liters of water. Wash jeans thoroughly with the Detergent then rinse well.

Step 2:

Treatment: (should say treatment in english) Use this Treatment after rinsing off all of the detergent. Mix the Treatment with water and soak jeans for about 20 minutes afterwards hang to dry (no need to rinse after Treatment).

Regards,

Gordon

another reason to love BIG

• 4 months later...
anyone have any experience with this stuff? someone gave me a bottle.

105xf7a.jpg

WTF? I wonder why nobody even took notice, there some Germans around here, aren't there?

This seems to be a German supermarket product! Got German tags on it at least...

I never used or even saw this before but tomorrow I'm gonna try and find loads of this stuff and sell it on SF for horrendous amounts... XD

"Recommended by Pure Blue Japan!"

I've got some powered detergent when I bought my 5000vx at BIG, just as a "thank you". The guys at BIG are swell. And I have a pack of Sugar Cane powder. I'm gonna be using Woolite Dark from here on out, I've read good reports on it. And I keep a bottle of Castille soap on hand. Anything but Tide Extra-Strength Mega Enzyme Powered Indigo/Black Denim Destroying Detergent.

http://www.domal.de/spezial.html

I just found their site but damn... I don't trust this shit. The way it is described suggests they use lots of chemicals....

But on the other hand, those guys at PBJs surely know one thing or two about denim care, I reckon.....

I'll try to get my hands on this stuff and use it with my cheap-ass 'Levi's Signature' Wal-Mart jeans!

Ok a little chemistry.

Detergents are synthetic and are made from hydrocarbons. Soaps are more natural and are made from animal fats and vegetable oils. Detergents are stronger than soaps.

There are three types of detergents.

Anionic:Your normal dish washing liquid.

Cationic: Used in shampoos, prevents wiring and fuzzing of hair.

Non-ionic: Used in dishwashers as they dont produce many bubbles.

Soaps are made from a combination of animal fats and oils along with sodium hydroxide. Premium soaps only use vegetable oils as animal fats are cheaper to obtain and dont work as well as some vegetable oils. Its possible to home make soaps, just search it up on the net and check what oils you wanna use for as different oils have different properties.

Does anyone know when you're washing the denim, if its bubbling a lot? If not its probably a non-ionic type