usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody know where i can buy a nice, authentic dashiki? i don't want some bull shit from a broadway stand 

Yara African Fabrics in Harlem has some really great prints, not sure if they make dashikis but they may know where to look?

Moving Tokyo -> NY, and debating whether to pick up a suit here before I leave or wait till I get to the states.   Im thick in the chest and upper back so the only Japanese suits I can wear are more expensive United Arrows stuff (about 700US).  Where in NY is a good to pick up a good, slim / modern suit?  Sounds silly but I havent lived in the US in 10 years and have never lived in a major US city so not sure whats what. 

Also, would a gore-tex shell, uniqlo premium down jacket, sweater and some danners with smart wool socks be enough for winters (might do something like Veilance Insulated Field Jacket instead) or do I need a full on parka/down jacket.

shell+down+sweater should be enough for most nights, maybe add a thermal top and bottom if you're really cold. scarf/hat helps too.

im going to nyc on this december, any recommendation on place to celebrate christmas and new year? and stores i should visit

There's that big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center, and Bryant Park in midtown has a "Winter Village" with a skating rink, hot cider, etc. The rink is free to use if you bring your own skates. Dunno about New Years, the obvious answer is Times Square but I try to avoid going near that mess. I'm sure it's only worse on NYE. For smaller boutiques and designer stuff go to Soho. You'll find Topshop, Zara, Uniqlo, and such on Broadway nearby. I think most of the designer stores on Fifth Avenue are also in Soho, but maybe not.

Reading through threak, but will be in NY for the first time 12/9-12/13, can anyone recommend some non-touristy cool shit to do? Good eats, nightlife, hidden gems, etc?

Anyone been to the Yayoi Kusama installation at David Zwirner? Are lines still stupid long?

Go to Chinatown, eat dumplings, lurk around stores for kitschy shit and knockoffs, park yourself in an arcade (there are many). Keep right on the sidewalk if you're taking your time, check for cops before you piss behind a dumpster.

Edited by culturevulture

• 3 weeks later...

had no idea that all the japanese joints on that strip with sunrise mart were owned by the same person. 

Hi-collar, hasaki, sobaya, chan-an,sakagura, otafuku, robataya, kiosku, curry ya, rairaiken, decibel

http://www.tic-nyc.com/pages/restaurants.html

i am looking at going to the states (first trip) around the end of may to visit my girlfriend in denver. figured i would spend a few days in new york before new york and do some touristy shit since all flights from australia stop in nyc/la...any accommodation recommendations? pretty open question i know, but ideally i'd like it to be on the cheap/'affordable' side after spending so much in tokyo. i was even considering 'airbnb' - any experiences? i really have no knowledge of american geography or new york at all as america was the one of the last places on my 'must visit' list to be honest, but i'm looking forward to it regardless.

Edited by conqueror

gf and i stayed in west village for about a week. booked a small apt on airbnb for about 150 a night. good area imo. just try and stay reasonably close to a subway station. only problem we had going through airbnb was that the person was a renter, and wasn't supposed to sublet. had a nasty grounds-person try and kick us out and threatened to call cops and shit. luckily nothing happened but yeah, watch out if you do go down that route. 

Edited by Quiver

gf and i stayed in west village for about a week. booked a small apt on airbnb for about 150 a night. good area imo. just try and stay reasonably close to a subway station. only problem we had going through airbnb was that the person was a renter, and wasn't supposed to sublet. had a nasty grounds-person try and kick us out and threatened to call cops and shit. luckily nothing happened but yeah, watch out if you do go down that route. 

Can you elaborate? The "host" got shit for subletting an apartment that he was not supposed to? Is this the story? I've done a lot of airbnb and it's been fine. Have not stayed in NYC though.

Edited by herpsky

Airbnb sublets in NYC are illegal for the most part.  The likelyhood of ppl reporting illegal air bnb sublets are high because there is no penalty to the landlord, building management, condo or coop board, only the person renting on airbnb.    

had no idea that all the japanese joints on that strip with sunrise mart were owned by the same person. 

Hi-collar, hasaki, sobaya, chan-an,sakagura, otafuku, robataya, kiosku, curry ya, rairaiken, decibel

http://www.tic-nyc.com/pages/restaurants.html

They all kinda suck too.

Airbnb sublets in NYC are illegal for the most part.  The likelyhood of ppl reporting illegal air bnb sublets are high because there is no penalty to the landlord, building management, condo or coop board, only the person renting on airbnb.    

I never understood the whole nyc airbnb petition and etc. What exactly is the deal? Like, tenants who sublet / lease their apartments, when the state finds out, get fined?

Its illegal to sublet your apt for less than 30 days in nyc, or if you are not physically living in the apt during the sublet. Pretty much, you can report your neighbor if you have evidence, like a screenshot from airbnb. Many reasons for people wanting to report, ranging from insurance issues, people not liking strangers in their building, landlords wanting evictions because its pretty hard to evict someone in nyc, renter\owner is a asshole and their neighbor\condo board\coop board wants them gone.  

whats like the best type of jacket you can wear in nyc during winter storms without much layering?

down jackets?

and this is a serious question im not from east coast so i dont know what a winter storm is OKAY JEEZ

Edited by mr.invincible

you need a down jacket. case closed. i used to live in the tundra of new england. canada goose made those winters somewhat enjoyable. you can just wear like a shirt and sweater underneath and walk around laughing at people who are like shivering when the temp gets to teens.

• 3 weeks later...

It's kind of a hard question to answer, but how much time does one need in New York to explore/cover the basics? I had a friend bail on a different trip and now I have a bunch of money sitting around. I want to go to Smith Street Tattoo, Moma/PS1, visit Nepenthes/do some shopping and eat at a couple michelin starred joints/acclaimed restaurants.

jewish delis. What's some other essential stuff to do? I have 3 weeks top at the end of august. 

I think three weeks is more then enough, for NYC/Brooklyn. I go for a few days and I'm pretty happy. but I'm the type that would start off in upper east and make my way down to tribeca, soho area, biz district and back up again in a day, walking.

def need to visit jane over in Greenwich for brunch

Edited by whitney

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm in New York until Wednesday, staying in Williamsburg.

Anybody have any sites that give info on exhibitions, concerts, DJ's, more cultural things?

Went to DSM yesterday, fucking cool place. Any other new stores worth checking out? Particularly in a more creator aspect, ie Damir, Rick, Siki Im, Plokhov...?

Is the guide worth buying? I'm going on the 15th of August till the 22nd ish and the only things set in stone so far is like a shopping day/visiting Nepenthes, DSM and Supreme, eating at Sushi Nakazawa and 11 Madison and visiting Moma/Moma PS1 as well as the natural history museum.

Any personal recommendations from you guys regarding cheap hotels, good galleries, shops and restaurants. Was thinking about visiting the Gugenheim and the Whitney museum of art and the Metropolitan.

Thanks guys. Also I'm only going to be 19 when I can't really go to bars and shit