Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

5381234637_3beede18f4_b.jpg5381241863_82db01e8b9_z.jpg

The lettering on the patch is challenging to decipher...but here goes. From the top of the leather patch,

LEVI STRAUSS & CO

San Francisco Cal

Patent Riveted

OVERALLS (in a big banner)

then the 2 horses (trade and mark of either side)

38 (the size) XX BRAND

This seems to be set on a black background and the lettering is stamped in to the leather and red in color. look at images of America by Lynn Downey, on page 20, top right hand corner... you can see the overalls banner that I think is on this label.

Every one^ thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I paid nearly $100 for the book and it was worth it.

The jeans go for much much more in Marwins, people hold the jeans all the walls side and they pay installments for them...it's crazy. Stuffs at Marwins don't come cheap but the amount of stuffs they have in that small space is crazy

Wow that's a lot of money.

Wow that's a lot of money.

Don't sell yourself short Sansome. Your book is worth every penny to denim geeks like us. :)

I've been avoiding this thread, as I got my copy for Christmas, but just got around to reading it yesterday. It's a great reference material, and I love the "flavor" you gave it with the color photos of the other clothing and items of the period. Thanks for putting something good into the world.

I've been avoiding this thread, as I got my copy for Christmas, but just got around to reading it yesterday. It's a great reference material, and I love the "flavor" you gave it with the color photos of the other clothing and items of the period. Thanks for putting something good into the world.

Glad you enjoyed the read, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

hey mike i wanted to share this with you. its a nice link with some great turn of the century pairs. though not denim. i like this very early frisco jeens the most. the oldest pair i have ever seen. this should actually be in your book.

here is the link

http://denhamgarmentlibrary.blogspot.com/

DGL116.jpg

Guest denimefreak21oz
Some more photos of the A.B. Elfelts. It was incredible meeting both Mike's while in LA. Seeing the originals in Mikes book and earlier in this thread I couldn't resist picking up these amazing jeans. Mike did a perfect job with them. Neustadter Bros. pants will arrive later today, thanks to seeing them on Mike and in the photos, I had to get a pair.

Suspenders are MF in the photos.

www.banditphotographer.com

ab1.jpg

ab2.jpg

ab14.jpg

ab3.jpg

ab15.jpg

ab4.jpg

damm nice cut of vintage jeans..r size 36 still available...n nice iron ranger boots

Guest denimefreak21oz
Here are some photos of the A.B. Elfelts. The vintage henley and suspenders are from Mister Freedom.

ab5.jpg

ab6.jpg

ab7.jpg

ab9.jpg

ab9a.jpg

ab10.jpg

ab11.jpg

ab12.jpg

ab13.jpg

nice male model,iner shirt,suspender,boots,scene,lastly nice pair of jeans,,love the vintage look..so much...how much its cost for 1st issue.book..cant wait to read it.

What was the belt situation back in the day? have you found any old buckles? even early 20th century ones for that matter?

I think that J Wahl's 1883 belt loop patent, blocked companies from putting belt loops on pants until 1900?(page 174) My father in law found a really neat turn of the century belt buckle in the 1970's, I will take a picture of it and post it.

• 2 weeks later...
Deff worth a mention..

this seller has some AMAZING stuff on the bay right now..

very tempting to say the least!

Looks like you have some competition michael!

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-LEVIS-BUCKLEBACK-100-yr-old-WALLHANGER-DENIM-NR-/280635164765?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item415728c85d#ht_500wt_1156

That might be brit eaton. I believe he lives in colorado. Not sure if it is durango, though.

Sansome isn't in the jeans buying business. He's in the jeans finding business.

Mike,

Do your searches ever bring you to Northern California?

Years and years and years ago, back when selvedge was the norm and not a premium, we were on a family outing near where Jacksonville used to be, digging around an old collapsed cabin. My father found an old pair of jeans and discovered three little gold nuggets in the watch pocket.

The gold came home with us, the jeans stayed there. At the time we couldn't have imagined that the jeans might be something to hang onto.

gary

Mike,

Do your searches ever bring you to Northern California?

Years and years and years ago, back when selvedge was the norm and not a premium, we were on a family outing near where Jacksonville used to be, digging around an old collapsed cabin. My father found an old pair of jeans and discovered three little gold nuggets in the watch pocket.

The gold came home with us, the jeans stayed there. At the time we couldn't have imagined that the jeans might be something to hang onto.

gary

Cool story, I have never been up to Northern California looking for jeans.

• 2 weeks later...