INCEPTION (spoilers)

phen3N

Saito was going to go into limbo if he died because the sedative they used to be able to do three layers of dreams was so strong that he wouldn't wake up.

Not sure about the second bit though.

My movie experience was slightly ruined by some guy behind me deciding to start beating off half way through the movie. F*ck cinemas in South London.

yeah i know why they'll end up there; just not sure why they should be afraid of it if they just they kill themselves down there and wake up.

My movie experience was slightly ruined by some guy behind me deciding to start beating off half way through the movie. F*ck cinemas in South London.

Wait, are you serious?

yeah i know why they'll end up there; just not sure why they should be afraid of it if they just they kill themselves down there and wake up.

Similarly to what you said previously, I think the fear was not that it's impossible, but that it's very difficult to work out that you're in limbo. Hence how long it took cobb & saito to finally do so.

yeah that is indeed a big call and i would love to hear that claim being substantiated...

anyway quick question:

why is there this fear of going into limbo after saito gets shot? from what i gathered, the solution to waking up from limbo is just to kill yourself while down there (leo+mal on traintracks; ariadne falling off the balcony?).

so if you're in limbo just kill yourself and u'll wake up no? If the fear is that you won't even know that you're IN limbo, then how did cobb and mal eventually figure it out?

Cobb figured it out. It wasn't fully explained why. Perhaps he was very good with his dreamstate. It was 50 dream years after all.

He then planted the idea into her subconscious by spinning the top in her 'safe'. She didn't actually see the top, it was merely spinning in her mind symbolising that she was always in a dream. This carried on into reality.

Of course, the alternate take would be Mal realised it was all a dream and jumped out of it by killing herself. Cobb is still in a dream and can't get out.

Wait, are you serious?

Unfortunately so. Two guys came in together and sat in the row behind me. The first guy was talking throughout the whole movie. The second guy starts grunting rather loudly. Some kid shouts out "Allow it, he's having a wank". Every head turns around, and the guy carries on like no one was there.

what are you talking about? have you seen any of his early movies, like memento and following? both were great human dramas, it was only after he started working on the batman series that it went downhill and he sacrificed his creative integrity for big buxx.

just because he made those movies in the past doesn't mean he will continue to do so in the future. sometimes its useful to look at a movie in the context of a director's previous work but this time i think you have to look at inception on its own terms. you're comparing apples with oranges, inception is a summer blockbuster action movie. it was a heist movie, come to think of it.

and you're looking at it as if it were intended to be a drama. the tools of the trade for making a good drama are the writing and the acting. the tools of the trade for making a heist movie are: the leader, the crack team, special effects, the tension building sequences...

the cool thing about inception was the inversion of those heist elements. they weren't stealing something, they were putting something there. the leader ends up being the team's greatest liability.

i also think that working within a set of limitations allows you to be creative in solving a problem like, "How can I engage a wide audience without being so cryptic as to alienate them?"

answering a question like that takes an open mind

I honestly can't remember a single allusion, whether literal or figurative, to anything from the Commedia, let alone to the inferno only. Did you read the poem? I'd like to hear your views on it, could be interesting

it wasnt anything really significant, but i was comparing the levels of dreaming to the levels of inferno (or paradiso i guess). another thing was how the subconscious were referred to as projections and shades, similar to how dante referred to souls. and of course there's limbo, but that concept isnt exclusive to dante.

i feel like there's more, i'll look for em next time i watch it

now that i think about it, how DID cobb and saito get out of limbo?

Cobb was never in Limbo because I believe Limbo was just a state of mind. If a character is no longer able to determine what they actually believe to be happening from what their subconscious mind was projecting then they became stuck in some sort of limbo.

Cobb performed an 'Inception' on his wife in what was also supposed to be limbo, if it was limbo he wouldn't have been able to do that.

They didn't really illustrate how Cobb and Saito got out, that way there's always going to be 2 separate theories about the ending(I think).

thanks Quiver for sharing, that article was an interesting and a well-written...

the whole idea that the movies is an analogy to film making is interesting take and i can see where he is coming from. but at the same time, its kind of silly for me to look at the film in that way...

I went into the movie w/ a more straight forward approach...that it wasn't a dream and the whole movie centered on doing a job on Fischer and at the end Cobb came back to reality.

my interpretation is not saying his or your was wrong...its just what i took from it. tbh, it'll be interesting to watch it again, knowing what i know/read since seeing it the first time. hey maybe my views will change...

This is great, he uses all of the inconsistencies in the plot line to his advantage which kind of affirms some suspicions I had about the movie.

I didn't find it poorly directed or written by any means, I just wasn't sure which was I was being taken at parts of the movie.

I agree. It started losing me during the mountain fortress scene. I know Nolan was trying to tie up all the loose ends and build up tension for the 'kicks' to take effect but it took about 5-10 minutes too long with all those inconsequential gunfire scenes. I wonder how much longer the directors cut will be.

57f17a8c48c5c33d582318fd2b4be768.jpg

I was emotionally connected w/ Cobb, the ending score was awesome to tie up the emotional elements (wife, kids, going home) In fact, I downloaded the soundtrack for that song specifically and is on rewind for the past hour(s)

The movie ended in reality > dream, you can obviously tell the totem is toppling from the top

I do not understand the criticism and/or confusion regarding the story (was it really that hard to follow?)

:

hatersgonnacat.jpg?1269800767

I was emotionally connected w/ Cobb, the ending score was awesome to tie up the emotional elements (wife, kids, going home) In fact, I downloaded the soundtrack for that song specifically and is on rewind for the past hour(s)

The movie ended in reality > dream, you can obviously tell the totem is toppling from the top

I do not understand the criticism and/or confusion regarding the story (was it really that hard to follow?)

Although I'm really happy with the way Nolan chose to end it, even if you were to take the story as literal and the events as factual, it's just as difficult to argue that Cobb made it back to reality as it would be to say that he didn't. There's hundreds of ways to interpret the film, some of which oppose the other...but most interpretations have merit. I think that there are a bunch of seemingly negligible clues left along the way that point to what the Nolan believes is happening in the story. With that said, he designed the story in such a non-linear way so as to encourage our doubts.