2600611853_ff133b21b9.jpg

2600226608_96ed08bba8.jpg

2601441362_a8b6f55ba5.jpg

2601441660_385cd28865.jpg

2600612729_0c50e1ff5c.jpg

tatoo detail here makes it my favorite pic of the night

2601444648_8a425df5c1.jpg

friend took the last one of me. she doesn't understand the concept of long exposure.

anyway, made the mistake of bringing the kit lens to the concert, which didn't perform well at all. i've got a 50mm 1.8 that I think i'll bring next time instead. I wanna take more concert photos and am wondering if i should invest in a wide aperture telephoto lens or a good flash, as the lowlight conditions really fucked me over. let me know what you guys think. I'm still new to all this.

everyone was there....didn't expect it

steve aoki, devon aoki (to right of danny masterson), tommy sunshine, designer drugs, tall dude from chromeo, plus others whose names i don't know. you can see them all in the second pic. just found out guy in the bottom pic is the photog of lastnightsparty.

anyway, made the mistake of bringing the kit lens to the concert, which didn't perform well at all. i've got a 50mm 1.8 that I think i'll bring next time instead. I wanna take more concert photos and am wondering if i should invest in a wide aperture telephoto lens or a good flash, as the lowlight conditions really fucked me over. let me know what you guys think. I'm still new to all this.

impressing kit lens pictures ! if you are planning to do lots of concert photos, i think you should invest in a flash, and either replace your 50mm 1.4 if you like this focal length, or get something like a 85 1.8 if you think 50 is too short. in my experience, zooms are useless in concert (who needs wide angle ?), and 50 is most of the time too short. my 2 cents though, i don't shoot at concert everyday.

edit: 1000th post, OMG ! at least it's kinda useful, i hope, unlike most of my posts !

well, the construction is better, it has usm (= better autofocus, and more silent), and the wider aperture = possibility to shoot at higher speed to get the same exposure as with the 1.8 + being able to have even more bokeh.

shot my friends wedding yesterday. here's some faves...

2601886199_e8b754bd74.jpg

2601485907_b03caa52c5.jpg

2601289735_94b8f4975d.jpg

2602108350_f84ee22b15.jpg

2601855794_dfb93f5d79.jpg2601842028_6e9640dd6c.jpg

2601834148_44f55af70a.jpg

2601837880_900fc25ced.jpg

ring bearing dog!

2601827306_523d6f3cb2.jpg

shooting the wedding was way funner than i thought it'd be. i could see doing it again. more pics on my flickr, link in my sig and i have a ton more to process.

hahahaha, nah. i hope i never see the guy.

thanks for the advice freecat. how much of a difference is there between a 50 1.8 and a 50 1.4 in terms of the increase in shutter speed the wider aperture allows?

theres a diff between concert and club photography, for your needs judging by the pics you posted, the 50mm/and 85mm would be completely wrong.

what focal length did you use the most that night?

the 50mm f1.4 usm sucks, but it is better than the 50mm 1.8 in most respects.

its only a half stop or so difference, so it is only a tiny bit faster.

can some one recommend me a decent medium format film for use in a holga? after one with strong contrasts and vivid colours. Been using Kodak Portra 400 but its not really cutting it. thanks.

I'm a huge Fuji Velvia fan and I think it would be much better than Kodak for what you are looking for, have a look at the Velvia photogroup on flickr, this might give you a good idea of what kind of speeds you might want to try out. http://flickr.com/groups/velvia/

have you tried kodak porta 160VC? the vivid color may give you what youre looking for, especially if youre using photoshop for color correction and contrast. you can use transparency films such as velvia but when using transparency films, you need to be accurate in exposure to a 1/3 of a stop, which is nearly impossible when using a holga camera. color negative film allows you a lot more room for exposure error.

can some one recommend me a decent medium format film for use in a holga? after one with strong contrasts and vivid colours. Been using Kodak Portra 400 but its not really cutting it. thanks.

kodachrooooooOOOOOOooome, gives you those niiiiiiiiiiice bright colorrrs, gives you the greeeeeeeeeeeeeeens of summers, lets you think alllll the worlds a sunny dayyyyy ohhh yeah.

*edit- sorry. i know this didnt help you at all.

have you tried kodak porta 160VC? the vivid color may give you what youre looking for, especially if youre using photoshop for color correction and contrast. you can use transparency films such as velvia but when using transparency films, you need to be accurate in exposure to a 1/3 of a stop, which is nearly impossible when using a holga camera. color negative film allows you a lot more room for exposure error.

Touche. I still vote Fuji though... try FujiPro. You should prolly just try a bunch and then decide what you like the best.

as mentioned before...

Hot Air Press No. 8

Boy Talk Photo Book

A collection of photographs taken outside of a Girl Talk show in New Haven, CT. Limited to something, never to be printed again, so on and so forth. Unfortunately, I will not be able to "hold" copies for anyone, and it WILL sell out, so if you would like to receive a copy, I highly recommend you pre-order one. You will find the information for that below.

122gqh1.jpg

14cw6bn.jpg

35le0sg.jpg

Go here to order a copy if you're interested - www.hotairpress.org

I'm a huge Fuji Velvia fan and I think it would be much better than Kodak for what you are looking for, have a look at the Velvia photogroup on flickr, this might give you a good idea of what kind of speeds you might want to try out. http://flickr.com/groups/velvia/

great! thanks, going to try both of these. and different speeds on the velvia. ill let you know how i get on.