Guest Krack

Are you trying to say, "I haven't processed it yet, so excuse the unfinished image" or "look how amazing this photo is even though I haven't post processed it?"

they all post process the shit out of their image to make it visually appealing to the masses.

example:

Random Asshole :"Oh hey cool HDR"

"Photographer": Hey thanks it took plenty of skill to take 3 photos of the cup and photoshop them"

I find that the busier I am with school, the more I just want to work with pictures. And as its finals week for me, I'm getting around to shots from almost 2 years ago. When I got back from my trip I had a few small weddings, so the shots immediately got lost in the fold. Its a strange feeling looking at a picture for the first time that you barely remember taking... especially when digital is typically such an instantaneous format.

5525707992_f03b2eacbb_z.jpg

5525121089_b402b772cc_z.jpg

5525123087_f865c8c15a_z.jpg

5525717248_f8e439c172_z.jpg

Probably a jackass question, but what's the point of saying "no photoshop"?

No hate, just trying to understand photography better.

Are you trying to say, "I haven't processed it yet, so excuse the unfinished image" or "look how amazing this photo is even though I haven't post processed it?"

Didnt see this until now and yeah its the latter. I have my post processing style and i managed to achieve it without photoshop -had to mention it.

they all post process the shit out of their image to make it visually appealing to the masses.

example:

Random Asshole :"Oh hey cool HDR"

"Photographer": Hey thanks it took plenty of skill to take 3 photos of the cup and photoshop them"

I post process most of my pics unless they are taken with film. Post processing is a part of photography whether you like it or not. You can hate all you want but it makes you look stupid. Ive never seen you post before or seen your stuff but its usually people who don't know anything about photography that say ignorant shit like that.

@Krack

digital post-processing is as much a part of digital photography as the darkroom (printing) is to film photography. Do you think digital photographers are cheating by using photoshop? there is using photoshop to finish an image, and there is using photoshop to manipulate an image to make it different than it was originally, etc: which is still not cheating, its just gravitating towards the graphic arts side of things... i'd like to see your work.

it also has to do with the aesthetic you go for - if you happen to portray yourself as someone who does everything in camera and it turns out you use photoshop then it probably doesn't reflect as well on you. if you're someone who thinks of themselves as a digital artist and you use photoshop to intentionally make something look the way you want it too, it shows your skill. I think there's a lot that has to do with finding a balance between those two (or figuring out where you want to be)

It's not like darkroom development didn't allow you to make adjustments to photos before.

I probably do less local manipulation in Lightroom than I did in the darkroom. I've never gotten the feel for digital dodging and burning. Contrast, exposure, everything else is more easily manipulated, but it's hard to get natural-looking dodges and burns (at least for me).

God bless being able to clone dust off scanned negs, I still shudder at the memory of spotting fiber prints.