what are you reading today?

almondcrush

im not so much interested in the back alley arms trade with iran as the desmination of ill-appropriated cocaine on the homefront. thats the shit i want to know more about.

I finally got around to finding my copy of this. Fucking amazing so far. The material available online is just the newspaper stories reprinted. This book is like the definitive coverage of the whole journalistic investigation. Anyone who can read this and say it is a paranoid conspiracy theory must be deluded.

darkalliance.jpg

yes freedom is good

one of the very few contemporary works exempt from the "virginia woolf rule" imo

at the risk of sparking a discussion ITT

care to elaborate?

not sure i know what the "virginia woolf rule" is

and don't know why franzen would be exempt from it

i have read woolf and franzen

not sure where they converge (or how)

the wife's reading FREEDOM

i think i will avoid it as long as possible

gotta wait until all the noise dies down

i liked CORRECTIONS enough

but mostly because he describes in exacting detail the areas of Philadelphia where i live(d) and work

so yeah, personal bias

I finally got around to finding my copy of this. Fucking amazing so far. The material available online is just the newspaper stories reprinted. This book is like the definitive coverage of the whole journalistic investigation. Anyone who can read this and say it is a paranoid conspiracy theory must be deluded.

darkalliance.jpg

can we just bust a book exchange? ill take a picture of my shelf and mail you anything in trade. once finished ill mail this back with osmehting new, and so on.

^yeah, I'd be totally down for that NESK. I have a metric fuck-ton of books and it seems we have pretty similar taste.

On the flipside, I'm in Aus and I'm assuming your Canada (if location is correct) so the postage costs might outweigh the benefits of trading. Without spamming, I have been amazed at how cheap the books are from bookdepository.com.

Most stuff is AU$10-15 shipped(!!)... Whaaaaat?!?! When I discovered that site I lost my shit. You literally can't buy most second-hand books that cheap here...

I'll find out what the postage cost is for a standard paperback to CA and get back to you. If it looks reasonable I'll snap some shots of my bookshelves.

515G53k0a6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Loving this so far. Got the chance to talk with him for a bit after a book signing and the dudes knowledge of JP streetwear is unbelievable. Was all kitted out in Acronym and Buzz too, haha.

514Yq1KvTWL._SS500_.jpg

Put this one on the back burner while I finish Zero History but it started off solid.

41Bpkg9SK8L._SS500_.jpg

and for when I get bored of giant novels.

^If it is even stylistically similar to Clockers and you're bored by it then I suggest this:

davincicode1.jpg

oh man that book is like, so good! I love how halfway through you are like "whoah how can they crack this code, it's impossible" but then by the end you are like "oh man, I totally get it, that's really brilliant!" Or really, I guess DaVinci is like totally brill, because like, everything in the book is totes inspired by real true life actual real materials!

Finished these recently,

LgammsGA3lfinmcsQGE9uPRno1_500.jpg

0061351482.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

the-city-and-the-city.jpg

Now onto this,

9780099518761.jpg

Smiling invitingly she replied, "First you'll have to die", and raised Silvija's dress to reveal that she was without underpants - dark stockings and a garter belt but no underpants. Even dead, Drenka gave him a hard-on; alive or dead, Drenka made him twenty again. Even with temperatures below zero, he would grow hard whenever, from her coffin, she enticed him like this. He had learned to stand with his back to the north so that the icy wind did not blow directly on his dick but still he had to remove one his gloves to jerk off successfully, and sometimes the gloveless hand would get so cold that he would have to put the glove back on and switch to the other hand. He came on her grave many nights.