what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Memories-of-the-Ford-Administration-(Penguin-Modern-Classics).jpg

I'm about 250 pages in and really enjoying the novel so far. Prior to this, I'd only read the first three Rabbit books by Updike which I thought were excellent. Memories... is a long way from the content of those books although shares some of the themes explored in Rabbit is Rich. An inventive take on the historical novel mixed with musings on the social climate of mid-70s America.

This is such a dry book. It was my introduction to Updike unfortunately and it did not leave me with a good impression.

Ah well, each to their own. I actually think it's quite funny in places and I like how pompous the main character can be. Maybe because I'm a history grad...

For the record, I slogged through Gravity's Rainbow before this book and, excellent though it was, the change of tone is a welcome one. Nice to just read and not be so confused all the time, haha.

You said everything I felt, and then some. On top of that, how many writers are we leaving out of the discussion entirely? We're really talking about picking a favorite out of a pre-selected list of around 10 names. It's incredibly limiting.

Yeah that is really the core of my sentiment, and that on top of it the idea of there being an objective top slot at all. I think a more interesting question would be authors people feel are consistently left out of the discussion but deserve the to be there. For me, and off the top of my head, I'd like to hear more people talk about Leonard Michaels.

Hahaha I didn't mean my facetious comment to actually turn into a discussion of great American authors, or the possiblity of a singular "greatest" writer (which is an obviously ridiculously statement). Was just stating my love for reading McCarthy. His prose is brilliant and vivid. Is it the greatest prose I've ever read? No. Would I read another McCarthy book? Yes.

What about these lesser-known American writers you speak of? I mean aside from the usual suspects that come up in this thread all the time; McCarthy, Wallace, Pynchon, etc... Who are they? Can you list several? I have no formal education in lit or arts...

Guest nowbaking

havent done much reading in a while, got thomas pynchon's inherent vice today at the library. im hoping its a good first real book back...

Thanks for the rec -- I'll definitely check out Leonard Michaels. Looks my speed, even putting aside the fact that his son was the singer of Op Ivy (what?!).

To add another to the list of authors with the same given name who never got their due in any lasting way despite having had their stories turned into popular films (although ones that most people today haven't seen, myself included) -- Leonard Gardner.

Baeyer, ever read the True History of the Kelly Gang?

Peter Carey right? It's currently sitting on one of my bookshelves, along with Oscar and Lucinda. One of the few authors to win the Booker Prize twice (for the aforementioned books). You recommend it for a particular reason?

Just finished the big payback over the weekend. I'd say it's one of the best pieces of hip hop journalism ever committed to text. Maybe less comprehensive than can't stop won't stop, but if you're a nerd for the industry as well as the music, it's so thorough it will fuck you up.

Peter Carey right? It's currently sitting on one of my bookshelves, along with Oscar and Lucinda. One of the few authors to win the Booker Prize twice (for the aforementioned books). You recommend it for a particular reason?

I feel like it would interesting to read in the context of thinking about McCarthy. I liked it.

Trying to work out if that cover is from before or after the movie. Cause if it's before, that depiction of Winston is pretty spot on with John Hurt's

That cover of 1984 is brilliant!

Currently reading Frankenstein. Then onto Heart of Darkness. (I'm poor and can only afford the cheapest, oldest books on book depository!)

some info on dis?

Sorry for late response. It's by Jean Baudrillard and is a collection of musings and thoughts he has on American society. Some genuinely awesome things to be said about the mythic west and freedom in a physical sense. I'd suggest checking it out; quick read.

1984.jpg

sadly, for the first time.

Honestly now is probably the best time for one to read 1984 no matter how old you are.

a well written book about the PUA lifestyle/subculture. a culture i will probably never partake in, but i must say, the non fiction story telling is awesome.

The audiobook of this is the single most hilarious thing I've ever heard. Neil Strauss sounds like a New York cabbie with bizarre English affectations (Con-dome instead of condom, Your-eye-nal instead of urinal) It's a really, really fun book.

Finished "Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned". Absolutely awesome short fiction. The titular story hits like a sack of bricks, though my favorite may be "Leopard", spooky as hell.

Have to say I find myself laughing throughout "The Edifice Complex". Deyan Sudjic is such a dick to Rem Koolhaas and Albert Speer (and his son, holy shit @ the whole wanting to rip his pocket watch out to reveal a Nazi inscription) Anyone else have any recommendations for expert critics just shredding apart people? Stuff in the vein of Eliot Weinberger taking a huge dump on the New Yorker and Susan Sontag.

@Baeyer-Drewson Liberation by Brian Francis Slattery is some solid dystopian fiction. Check it out.

@Sugar Mountain. No, I haven't read The Tin Drum Before; one of those classics I feel like an asshole about having not read.