almondcrush

what are you reading today?

he writes on an enormously broad range of topics to be honest, and has written a stupid number of books. Is there a specific area you were interested in?

something like The Sublime Object of Ideology might be an good place to start? or maybe just chronological order but it kinda depends on your area of interest.

or

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Violence-Slavoj-Zizek/9781846680274

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mythology-Madness-Laughter-Markus-Gabriel/9781441191052

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Less-Than-Nothing-Slavoj-Zizek/9781844678976

also fantastic documentary about zizek.

and his film theory on film is fantastic as well

Edited by jackg

I attempted to read Naked Lunch but its a hard read, so I'm re-reading Lolita. But I swear on my blood I'm gonna start Anna Karina by July 1rst.

Edited by Bleh

I attempted to read Naked Lunch but its a hard read, so I'm re-reading Lolita. But I swear on my blood I'm gonna start Anna Karina by July 1rst.

Anna Karenina is actually not too difficult of a read. Just make sure you've got a list with all the characters' full names, once you get used to that it's alright.

NightCircus.final_.2.jpg

Anna Karenina is actually not too difficult of a read. Just make sure you've got a list with all the characters' full names, once you get used to that it's alright.

yea thanks, i always record characters and their connections to each other on my bookmarks

Kafka+on+the+Shore.jpeg

love everything this guy writes. anyone know of other authors with a similar writing style to his?

Canada-by-Richard-Ford.jpg

just started but pretty good so far

re-reading The Invention of Morel; some serious plot in that novel.

Canada-by-Richard-Ford.jpg

just started but pretty good so far

Let me know how it works out for you. I'm going to check out more of Ford's work later this summer.

Got a detective novel bug and have been reading through Spenser books like crazy. Not heady or deep in the slightest, but so fucking entertaining.

Edited by pavlovs bell

8409645.jpg

aiming for a book a week at the moment.

Rereading Invisible Cities. So good.

invisible%2Bcities.jpg

Little Mike, let me get you the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It's a good one and one that everyone in this thread has probably already read.

word let me grab it when you're back in town.

8409645.jpg

aiming for a book a week at the moment.

Is The Fountainhead worth the effort?

yes! its fantastic, I haven't been able to put it down and I am meant to be studying for exams!!!

30169.jpg

Immensely enjoyed the sections of this book that were about everyday life-- didn't really get the second half, but whatever.

Need something new...

Went back a couple pages, saw people recommending A Short History of Nearly Everything, got it from the library. Not regretting that I did!

I also, attempted to read 'The Naked Lunch'. Barely got through 50 pages so I started '1Q84', which is great so far. I haven't disliked anything by Murakami yet. jackg: I bought that one along with '1Q84', I've never read anything non fiction by him. How do you like it?