what are you reading today?

almondcrush

I just finished reading The Alchemist and I was pretty dissapointed. The overall tone of the novel was pretty much Folklore-esque. The spiritual entities that controls the main character really took apart from the major theme of following your dream. On the other hand, The Alchemist is very well written and easy to understand. It's great if anyone needs inspiration or just a quick summer read.

Now, I'm going to read A Clockwork Orange.

Decided to put away Murakami for a while and re-read fellow Vancouverite William Gibson's Pattern Recognition to get ready for Spook Country next month.

How is Sputnik ordo? I went through a period when I kept orbiting around the title thinking of reading it but something in the blurb didn't seal it for me. But I'm looking forward to After Dark for something different from my normal reading. And might take a leaf from you and re-read Pattern Recognition at some point when I've cleared the reading pile.

Finished the stuff I got last week, hitting up the library again today or tomorrow. I know I said I liked Jonathan Lethem's "Fortress of Solitude," but I just read "You Don't Love Me Yet" and it was terrible. Reminded me of Nick Hornby's How To Be Good, and in no way can that be good.

How is Sputnik ordo? I went through a period when I kept orbiting around the title thinking of reading it but something in the blurb didn't seal it for me.

It is not my favourite of his works, but has some elements (such the crossing over to the "other side") that appear more fully realized in Kafka or Wind-Up Bird. It felt like it sits between his straight relationship works (South Of The Border, Norwegian Wood) and his dream-logic works (Kafka, Wind-Up, Hardboiled), though more heavily weighted towards the former. I would probably only recommend it to the completist who wants to read his entire catalogue. As has been mentioned here before, I would take Kafka first, then Wind-Up Bird, then maybe Hardboiled Wonderland or Sheep Chase after that.

sputnik was the first murakami book i read. it was a long time ago. i need to reread it. i also read wind up. i love the whole other reality thing. reading those books gave me an eerie sense of unfamiliarity with my own reality. i don't know if i expressed that right. but it was weird. i liked them alot though. i tried reading sheep chase but i got stuck somewhere in the middle and i couldn't get into it. one day i'll read the whole thing.

right now i'm reading wicked. i've been trying to finish it forever. i'm into fairytales so i love how gregory mcguire gives the other side of the story. i read confessions of an ugly stepsister which i thought was OK. nothing spectacular. i heard better reviews for wicked and i love the musical =X

sputnik was the first murakami book i read. it was a long time ago. i need to reread it. i also read wind up. i love the whole other reality thing. reading those books gave me an eerie sense of unfamiliarity with my own reality. i don't know if i expressed that right. but it was weird. i liked them alot though. i tried reading sheep chase but i got stuck somewhere in the middle and i couldn't get into it. one day i'll read the whole thing.

word... the whole "other side of reality" thing is the kind of storytelling Murakami is a master at. my favorite for this kind of story would be Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I just finished Sputnik Sweetheart last week and enjoyed it although the emotions evoked were kind of sad. the "other side of reality" idea wasnt as fully explored here compared to his earlier stories though, and stayed more on the realitistic human side.

It is not my favourite of his works, but has some elements (such the crossing over to the "other side") that appear more fully realized in Kafka or Wind-Up Bird. It felt like it sits between his straight relationship works (South Of The Border, Norwegian Wood) and his dream-logic works (Kafka, Wind-Up, Hardboiled), though more heavily weighted towards the former. I would probably only recommend it to the completist who wants to read his entire catalogue. As has been mentioned here before, I would take Kafka first, then Wind-Up Bird, then maybe Hardboiled Wonderland or Sheep Chase after that.

Personally, I'd have to include Norwegian Wood in the top 3 murakami must reads, but thats just me, the feeling i got from that book is unforgettable. i think Hardboiled Wonderland is must too, that was my personal favorite of his dreamlike fantasy/reality stories. those two are my definately favorites, but for some reason i've reread Dance Dance Dance and Pinball 1973 the most number of times. i pretty much liked all of his novels and short stories, but for some reason I actually didnt enjoy Wind-Up Bird as much...

currently reading After Dark

770217439_f224e44849.jpg

and listening to the music on this website while i'm at work

www.harukimurakami.com

Personally, I'd have to include Norwegian Wood in the top 3 murakami must reads, but thats just me, the feeling i got from that book is unforgettable.

It's Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore, and Wind-Up Bird Chronicles for me. Gonna start on After Dark today.

Currently reading New Rules of Lifting.

It's Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore, and Wind-Up Bird Chronicles for me. Gonna start on After Dark today.

Currently reading New Rules of Lifting.

How is that book? I'm trying to find a well written book for lifting but there are so many varieties that it's hard to choose just one.

The book emphasizes on the big compound movements like squats, deadlifts, rows, etc. No isolations like bicep curls. If you're experienced, most of the exercises probably feel quite "basic." But I just came off the Starting Strength program and decided to check this out due to good feedback on t-nation.com (the author is quite prolific on the website too). Despite having done those compound movements for a while, I still found the read quite informative, especially the stuff on periodization and the programs they came up with. Written in a casual, easy-to-read manner. I believe it's on sale at Amazon last time I checked (before I realize my library had it). I'm still planning on getting a copy for keeps.

I finished Under the Banner of Heaven last week... that was good... now I'm reading Absurdistan. I'm about 60 or so pages in, seems pretty good so far. It's funny yet pathetic... I can't tell if I'm supposed to be taking away any bigger messages.

I read Crossing California recently too. That was excellent, although maybe not as appealing to folks who don't live in or know about Chicago (esp. the far N Side). Strongly recommended anyway, tho.

Decided to put away Murakami for a while and re-read fellow Vancouverite William Gibson's Pattern Recognition to get ready for Spook Country next month.

Yes!

Following his blog for the little excerpts has been fun for the past year or so, but I'm ready for the book already, damn it.

Just finished Jack Womack's Lets Put the Future Behind Us and just picked up Robert Stone's Dog Soldiers. The former is a black comic satire set in present day Russia, and the latter is a morosely humorous thriller revolving around a drug trafficing scheme set in Korea during the Korean War.

Im reading websense implimentation documents and writing our policy.

Fuck websense. Fuck IT. Fuck computers. I want to become a cave man.

Or wake me up in the year 2420 when I can live out a Gibson-esque steampunk novel in Hong Kong.

Or a Wong Kar Wai film?

Picked up After Dark but haven't start on it because I also picked up:

jan071928d.jpg

Tell me more!

Sweet! How far are you into the book, how is it? That's next up on my reading list, can't wait.
It's pretty good so far - 150pgs in. My beef with him is that he keeps adding too many characters that really don't impact the story and serve only as annoying detours. But overall, Malazan Book of the Fallen is still the best fantasy out there right now imo.