#331 sycamore no more

sycamore no more

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • joined 31 october 06

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

http://globetrooper....iving-thailand/

after reading that a few weeks ago me and my real good friends are planning on moving to thailand january 1st, 2012. i've never been and have been into thai boxing for quite some years now, looking to maybe teach english at a gym in exchange for training.

#332 Akura

Akura

superbored

• Pip
  • 756 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

No one has really touched on this topic but how easy is it to get weed? I heard drug laws are very strict so I am assuming it will be difficult?
But I have also read that it is readily accessible but many dealers will rat you out to get the reward money? Can someone shed some light?

#333 dizzhizz

dizzhizz

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,128 posts
  • joined 16 june 06

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

just get cool with the locals and ask around. i got all my fixes through the tattoo guys in thailand.

#334 thegarden

thegarden

semibored

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • joined 19 june 10

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

I'm going to BKK on the 5th which is 4 days later. I'm staying in Princess Pathuwan which is opposite MBK (mah boon krong?) And somewhere near Siam square? I'm there mainly for shopping and relaxation for 3 days. I read through this whole thread and i know siam square has some nice stuff thats is suited for teenagers/young adults like me. Any other nice places in the vicinity that i should check out? and is the chatuchak market far from where I'm staying?
Side note, any place nearby Siam square or the hotel I'm staying in for some good nightlife?

THANKS IN ADVANCED!

#335 Rain

Rain

bored

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • joined 19 july 11

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

If you come to Thailand and want to enjoy the most. I have to say that the Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan. There 's everything you need!!

#336 dizzhizz

dizzhizz

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,128 posts
  • joined 16 june 06

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

^it's a good experience but would never go again. surrounded by drunk euros and buckets can be overwhelming at times...

#337 orlylow

orlylow

semibored

• Pip
  • 240 posts
  • joined 27 april 11

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm going to BKK on the 5th which is 4 days later. I'm staying in Princess Pathuwan which is opposite MBK (mah boon krong?) And somewhere near Siam square? I'm there mainly for shopping and relaxation for 3 days. I read through this whole thread and i know siam square has some nice stuff thats is suited for teenagers/young adults like me. Any other nice places in the vicinity that i should check out? and is the chatuchak market far from where I'm staying?
Side note, any place nearby Siam square or the hotel I'm staying in for some good nightlife?

THANKS IN ADVANCED!

it's pathumwan princess, and it is connected directly to MBK. siam square is a 15min walk away? basically the area is filled with tons of shopping centres + roadside stores etc.

take the BTS to chatuchak.

#338 solifestyle

solifestyle

bored

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • joined 22 september 11

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

my family lives in thailand so when I'm there I mostly hangout and party with cousins. If I want to do some serious shopping instead does anybody have any store recommendations?

I've covered all the common bases- siam square, emporium, discovery, siam centre, mbk, platiunum mall etc.

#339 zeroquatre

zeroquatre

super

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • joined 13 november 11
  • attitude:none
  • denim:size 32

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

stayed here in august, highly reccomended http://www.hansarbangkok.com/

#340 ryan_nayr

ryan_nayr

bored

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • joined 15 october 09

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hi guys, I'll be heading to Bangkok this June. Any recommendations on hotels? I'm looking for one that is well situated but nothing too costly. I'd also welcome suggestions on stores/shops/restaurants that i should be visiting. Kindly advise. Thanks ya'll!
“I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.” - Kurt Cobain

#341 tomenugen

tomenugen

semibored

• Pip
  • 263 posts
  • joined 09 april 06
  • style:gangster
  • attitude:egomanical

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi guys, I'll be heading to Bangkok this June. Any recommendations on hotels? I'm looking for one that is well situated but nothing too costly. I'd also welcome suggestions on stores/shops/restaurants that i should be visiting. Kindly advise. Thanks ya'll!

I'm planning a solo trip to Thailand in June as well! Patiently awaiting responses...

#342 downtilimunderground

downtilimunderground

super

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • joined 04 january 12
  • attitude:chilled
  • denim:size 33

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm planning a solo trip to Thailand in June as well! Patiently awaiting responses...

just returned from a trip to thailand... not that that all of this was a secret, but if you wanna save money or stay in bangkok for a longer time go to khao san rd. this is where all the backpackers hang out! we stayed in Kawin guesthouse and payed 450 THB for a double room w/ AC and ensuite bathroom which was quite okay!

what i learned during the short time i was in thailand: do not book anything in advance. it may sound stupid but if you negotiate a bit you can always get a better deal than youd get if you booked before. and there are always free, nice rooms there!

if you dont wanna stay in the city that long make a trip to Koh Tao for a few days which is about 7 hours by bus and ferry away from bangkok. its like the bigger islands without the hookers, dirty streets and loads of tourists (still there are lots of them). still as cheap as the other islands!

#343 jim_n

jim_n

superbored

• Pip
  • 275 posts
  • joined 13 january 07

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

my brother is flying into bangkok and traveling around for 4 weeks at the end of the month, any must see spots that i can give him? most of this thread is pretty old so i dont know how much of it is still relevant.

#344 kH0yA Sw@Gp0o

kH0yA Sw@Gp0o

• PipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • joined 23 november 11
  • attitude:spaced out

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

^depends. if he's in bangkok then he can do the touristy things like the grand palace or wat pho/wat pra kaew, etc. you can get to those by taking the public ferry (15 baht) across the chao phraya river. i forget the nearest bts (skytrain) station at the moment but the central pier is accessible by it... check a map or i'll get back to you later.
aside from that there's all the usual malls. siam area has quite a few all within walking distance of each other (central world, siam paragon, siam center, siam square, etc.) and if you get down on the asok bts there's terminal 21, which has all sorts of interesting little stores. some are random stockists of things and others are local designers, prices are good imho. if he's into workwear/repro kinda stuff there's this chain present in a lot of malls called pronto or something like that, stock all kinds of denim (n&f, momotaro, edwin, list goes on) and red wings, among other things. and also chatujak. to get there you either get down at the chatujak mrt or the mo chit bts. lots of interesting things to be had in there if you look long enough, only open on weekends. was at khao san last night, place is okay. shortly before i left i saw some white du get the shit kicked out of him by around 6 thai guys. dunno what the fuck was going on there.

i really like chiang mai, not as insane as bangkok and it's not as hot either. foreigners tend to favor the place but it's understandable why. the northeast is hot, and mostly plains, but i've heard good things about khon kaen for partying and whatnot. food in that area is probably the spiciest i've ever had to deal with tho. i can't tell you much about the south, closest i've been is pattaya (meh) but the north and such i've spent a lot of time there. pm me or something if you want moar info.

#345 Danai

Danai

super

• Pip
  • 297 posts
  • joined 11 november 11

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

hey guys what are the prices at club 21 mens like? reasonable or crazy mark ups? also are there any individual stores in terminal 21 that are good? last time i went to bangkok i saw some cool stores there but didn't have time to check out every store on each level (there are so many and they're all tiny store space!). cheers!

#346 chase

chase

semibored

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • joined 05 september 04
  • style:old skool
  • attitude:obsessed
  • biography:www.wikichichi.com
  • wish i was in:tokyo
  • talents:wikichichi.tumblr.com
  • denim:size 31

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

^it's a good experience but would never go again. surrounded by drunk euros and buckets can be overwhelming at times...

AGREE!
I am a registered tour guide in Singapore. If you like to see the real Singapore, drop me a message @ info@wikichichi.com.
http://wikichichi.tumblr.com

#347 chase

chase

semibored

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • joined 05 september 04

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

hey guys what are the prices at club 21 mens like? reasonable or crazy mark ups? also are there any individual stores in terminal 21 that are good? last time i went to bangkok i saw some cool stores there but didn't have time to check out every store on each level (there are so many and they're all tiny store space!). cheers!

They are marked up. There is a high import tax on textiles. I once eyed a Yohji Yamamoto flare pants, this one below and its retailing for 1700 Singapore dollars. That probably amounts to 1200 USD? I think you are better off in Club 21 Singapore or other countries like Hong Kong during the sale.

Posted Image
I am a registered tour guide in Singapore. If you like to see the real Singapore, drop me a message @ info@wikichichi.com.

#348 chase

chase

semibored

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • joined 05 september 04

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

For clubbing in Bangkok, I will suggest those more Thai sort of place. Where the rich hi-so Thais hang out.

The HIPSTER party is this thing called DUDESWEET, yes with a name like that you have to be cool for school. haha. Check their facebook for the party schedule, usually takes place in an eclectic location every month. Indie post punk dance bands will be playing!!
https://www.facebook.com/busypartyboy

Check out Fallabella, which is a courtyard stage concept. The girls are from rich families and are very beautiful. Its like as if they are TV stars. https://www.facebook.com/100Rajdamri

There is also this place called NUNGLEN in ekamai.

Let me know if you have any questions on BKK.

#349 chase

chase

semibored

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • joined 05 september 04

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

i really like chiang mai, not as insane as bangkok and it's not as hot either. foreigners tend to favor the place but it's understandable why. the northeast is hot, and mostly plains, but i've heard good things about khon kaen for partying and whatnot. food in that area is probably the spiciest i've ever had to deal with tho. i can't tell you much about the south, closest i've been is pattaya (meh) but the north and such i've spent a lot of time there. pm me or something if you want moar info.

Chiangmai is fantastic, I left my heart there. Great food and agriculture produce. The food is very different from the spicy and sweet flavours of Bangkok, but more sweet and fragrant with lotsa natural herbs.

The place to go in Nimman, something like an East Village. Soi 1 and 2 has this this really authentic place selling Chiangmai food. Every dish is delicious. Down the same road is this burger bar.

For clubbing go to Warm up Cafe and Fabrique. Thai bands and electro hip hop. A whisky bottle costs only $20, what more you want in life? Lovely city!

#350 flashkobalt

flashkobalt

bored

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • joined 04 october 10

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Gonna be in Bangkok for 10 days from next week...Looking to take it easy, shop a bit, eat some good food and party a little at night...I noted the Dudesweet and Fallabella recommendations...anyone in Bangkok have any other advice?

#351 medasyn

medasyn

bored

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • joined 29 march 10

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Gonna be in Bangkok for 10 days from next week...Looking to take it easy, shop a bit, eat some good food and party a little at night...I noted the Dudesweet and Fallabella recommendations...anyone in Bangkok have any other advice?

recommend you check out the view from the number of sky bars located in and around bangkok. If I had to pick one, i'd say the one at the new Sofitel So Hotel is nice. Unlike the other sky bars this one has the view of the lumphini park, reminicesent of central park in New York.

Be sure to check out Kao San road too.

#352 gruntle

gruntle

semibored

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • joined 18 december 09
  • talents:traveling, reading,dabutt(ladies), biking,working out.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Two weeks till I fly to Bangkok, going to spend 2 weeks in Phuket. any tips? things to avoid?
The Mortal sword of Treach. Would rather be neighbor to the beast.

#353 tomenugen

tomenugen

semibored

• Pip
  • 263 posts
  • joined 09 april 06
  • style:gangster
  • attitude:egomanical

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Chiangmai is fantastic, I left my heart there. Great food and agriculture produce. The food is very different from the spicy and sweet flavours of Bangkok, but more sweet and fragrant with lotsa natural herbs.

i guess chiang mai collects hearts. that lanna culture. love the:

1. people
2. food. so many food vendors. there seems to be one on every side of the old city and all along CMU
3. city from a structural/architectural pov.
4. that motorcycle ride up to doi suthep/doi pui
5. espressos. all day.
5. nimmanhaemin road has that boutique-y indie vibe going for it but it's ultra locals so your english won't get you that far at the bar/night scene.

#354 spaces

spaces

superbored

• Pip
  • 642 posts
  • joined 11 august 09

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Aye fam I'm flying to bankok on the 29th of october, staying for about 3-4 weeks in thailand but about one week or more in bangkok.

I'll be traveling rather humbly, but I'd be interested in the following:
1) Good places to meet foreign/european/good looking ladies (lol)
2) Any good clubs that play tight electronic type music (house,future bass etc)

Besides that I think I'll be going chiang mai after bangkok.

Would it be advised to bring my laptop with me? I'll be traveling for about a month with 1 bag so I'm not sure if it will be worth (or not worth) bringing.

#355 superfuture

superfuture

superfuture

• supergod
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • joined 09 april 06
  • style:futuristic
  • attitude:chilled
  • denim:size 33

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

just for your information peoples...
we've been working on a superfuture bangkok pdf superguide and maps for quite some time and it is starting to all come together at last...
if anyone is based in bangkok who wants to help out please contact us! we could do with a bit of help so please pm me.
some fact checkers and extra researchers would be nice...

!!

thx
wayne

#356 frasier oiseau

frasier oiseau

smarf

• PipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • joined 30 september 12
  • biography:sicker than yo average poppa

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

Hey man, I've been to Bangkok a few times, but I still don't know my way around perfectly. I'm going again on the 23rd, and I'm looking for places to shop. I know about Club 21 in Erawan, Pronto in Central World, and Blackjack and Yeah in Siam Discovery. But are there any good shops to check out? I'm just looking for stuff available on sites like Haven and Tres Bien (Norse Projects, WTAPS, Neighborhood, Our Legacy, Wings+Horns, White Mountaineering etc) , and other streetwear stuff like Supreme or Undercover, or that you can't find at club 21. And is there anywhere in Bangkok where I could buy Visvim? I've found http://www.invisiblestores.com/blog/ which supposedly carries Visvim and Sophnet, but I don't think they have a retail outlet.

#357 frasier oiseau

frasier oiseau

smarf

• PipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • joined 30 september 12

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm still in Bangkok, and I came upon this great new store that opened up recently called Next to Normal.

Posted Image

The picture shows some of the brands they carried - I was especially impressed to see Thom Browne, Common Projects, Margiela, Undercover and McNairy all under the same roof.
Definitely a cool store, I have a feeling I'll be visiting it frequently

#358 kH0yA Sw@Gp0o

kH0yA Sw@Gp0o

• PipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • joined 23 november 11
  • attitude:spaced out

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

^damn i would have loved to take a look at some silent but they opened three months after i left ;_;

#359 frasier oiseau

frasier oiseau

smarf

• PipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • joined 30 september 12

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Also found this store called London Brown, they do made-to-order stuff, but even their premade stuff looks pretty good as well
Digging their Suede Brogues
Posted Image

#360 Bleu1950

Bleu1950

super

• Pip
  • 131 posts
  • joined 26 november 12
  • style:exotic
  • attitude:orthodox

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

bumping this thread for any new must-ty restaurant and cool places.