Source for quality selvedge denim fabric

ozric

hi, im viktor, i do custom made denim here in manila. is it possible for me to buy that specific denim you are referring. ive always wanted to use premium selvage denim but cant seem to find a manufacturer here in manila. how much will it cost me for a minimum yardage? cost of shipping included. whats the time frame?

thanks.

Quote:

welcome. viktor! I once visited your condo to inquire about your jeans. but you didn't have selvage. good luck in finding a source.

--- Original message by john11f on Jun 8, 2006 07:02 AM

hi there! hahaha, yah been trying to find a good one for 2 years now, i hope ozric will help me soon. good news is , i have a client who lives in japan who is trying to help me now buy denim. i just gave her my press clippings and interviews. i heard you just cant buy denims from them .... you have to show your credentials first. not bad though. anyway, in my two years of doing viktor, there is only 3 guys whom i discussed about my desire for a japanese selvadge denim. hope you'll visit my podium store soon coz if ever ill have my first selvadge denim from japan, i will use it exclusively for my VK series - the Viktor Kotur.

Quote:

^^ Check Victor out hee ..

Victor why not use some Fake Levi's Selvage denim ?

( only he know what I'm talking about probably )

--- Original message by numero_uno_3xl on Jun 8, 2006 12:00 AM

hmm.. i guess i dont know where to source that also. why fake levis selvadge then? are they any better? what do you mean fake, as in counterfeit denim? here in manila, i source most of my materials from litton mills. the manufacturer of levis fabrics. but you cant buy levis denim from them coz of exclusivity thing.

Viktor it has been said in the " story of your denim life " that you had the local fake levi jeans makers do the tailoring for your original " sample " jeans .. They then became very popular and you needed a bigger faster steadier supply .

no ?

Quote:

Viktor it has been said in the " story of your denim life " that you had the local fake levi jeans makers do the tailoring for your original " sample " jeans .. They then became very popular and you needed a bigger faster steadier supply .

no ?

--- Original message by numero_uno_3xl on Jun 13, 2006 01:05 PM

hmm ok. i guess you got it wrong then, the shop where i used to have my viktor alpha test versions tailored does fake levis, lee and wrangler jeans or whatever jeans you fancy. they dont have " fake levis selvadge denim fabric", i dont think there is such a thing here in manila as fake levis selvadge material. and i dont have a "sample" jeans to be copied at that time but blue print design of my first five pocket jeans including all the detailed sizing and specifications of the pockets and stitches.

excerpts...

Registered brand

With only P1,000 initial capital, he bought his favorite tela from Divisoria, went to a tailor who makes fake Levi's and Calvin Kleins, and had his designs copied. He named his label "Viktor," because the most successful brands all bear the designers' names. He had to spell it "Viktor," however, because "Victor" was already a registered brand. And finally, he designed the letter V in the logo to look like an inverted pair of pants.

During this time, he apprenticed under Eric Alviar, research and development head of Litton Mills, an export company that produces the fabric for Levi's, Guess, Calvin Klein, Armani, Express Jeans and Girbaud. There he learned every aspect of fabric making, from weave to color to thickness.

In November 2003, he produced his first 25 jeans -- all for men -- and called them his alpha test prototypes. He avoided making washed denims, but used fabric in the "raw" -- meaning, the fabric came straight from the factory untreated.

http://www.inq7.net/globalnation/sec_fea/2005/sep/01-02.htmicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote:

I found a local tailor that's willing to help flange me up a pair of jeans if I bring in some fabric. Is it too late to enquire about some getting in on some selvage action?

--- Original message by Yet Fung on Jun 15, 2006 09:32 AM

Yet Fung: I am confirming orders now, and will buy the denim personally when I reach India in July. Please email me for details.

Thanks.

hi. i dont think there will be ever a time wherein i will have my jeans done subcontract. or mass produced for that matter. since its really custom fit, it will be very difficult to find a subcon who is willing to follow all my clients request by heart. hehehe. mass producing it is out of the question. but i might have a new diffusion line that will cater to a base price soon. custom fitting is the way to go here in manila

victor your story is fascinating! it's good to hear of things like this coming from our part of the world. will you contract out your manufacturing and go mass market in future, or stay as a custom jean-maker?

hi. i dont think there will be ever a time wherein i will have my jeans done subcontract. or mass produced for that matter. since its really custom fit, it will be very difficult to find a subcon who is willing to follow all my clients request by heart. hehehe. mass producing it is out of the question. but i might have a new diffusion line that will cater to a base price soon. custom fitting is the way to go here in manila

would you ever have someone learn from you and have that person produce under your label? that way, you could have viktor certified jean tailors in other countries....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I am confirming orders now, and will buy the denim personally when I reach India in July.

Thanks.

So, any report on what you found in India? Was their premium indigo selvegde everything they claimed?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...