HBO The Pacific

Rivet Head

In regards to these shows does anyone know how the economics of premium cable works? I read this miniseries is costing close to 200 mil area and won't run a full season. I'm glad the production values on this thing are so insane but how does HBO recoup the investment since this is so much more expensive than a regular show? DVD sales? Hopeful licensing to other networks? Movie studios won't even finance anything over 100 mil unless it's a sequel or an adaptation of a popular work. Wondering how HBO can swing this kind of $$$ in this economy.

In regards to these shows does anyone know how the economics of premium cable works? I read this miniseries is costing close to 200 mil area and won't run a full season. I'm glad the production values on this thing are so insane but how does HBO recoup the investment since this is so much more expensive than a regular show? DVD sales? Hopeful licensing to other networks? Movie studios won't even finance anything over 100 mil unless it's a sequel or an adaptation of a popular work. Wondering how HBO can swing this kind of $$$ in this economy.

I'm guessing DVD sales. Plus - they can get ad revenue when they, if they do as they did with Band of Brothers, re-air it on the History Channel.

Episode 2 Rocked, but based on the previews I'm not too sure about 3. It's all back at the homefront - I want "blood and guts and a whole lot of danger" (that's one our Marine cadences for PT - it's actually "little bit of" but "whole lot" sounds tougher).

I've not watched an episode of Brothers, but someone told me that there are a lot of homefront scenes.

Yut!!!

Episode 1 of band of brothers is at home - otherwise, no.

Episode 3 looks to have some home front stuff, but also some 1st Marines on leave in Australia, before being deployed again. It should be okay. Waiting to go was a part of these guys lives too! Of course, I say that hoping it'll only be one episode of that stuff...we'll see.

I hope I'm not in the minority when I say, despite the fact there was no combat last night, I quite enjoyed the episode. I'm really liking the series. It really shows how different the Pacific was to Europe; at least so far it has.

Finally got to watch ep3. I guess as a Marine I'm being over-critical, but the wardrobe department didn't do such a good job on the main characters' liberty uniforms (Battle Dress jackets). Yes - I know they have to put together the uniforms for extras, etc., but they could've at least placed more attention to detail on main character wardrobe.

The only thing that really sucks about this series is that there are only seven episodes left.

While stationed in Japan from '95 to '99, I deployed to Australia three times and, even back then, the Aussie woman treated us like kings. Good times!!!

Watched ep 3 yesterday and it really hit a nerve. All those who served overseas know what I'm talking about, you find a good thing but you just can't take it back with you.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know who the Gunny is (or is based on?). I watched the ep twice and on the second viewing I heard the skipper telling Sledge his Dad might have treated Gunny after ww1....but I couldn't quite make out the name.

They are interviewing the real people - those that are still alive anyway. I know Sidney Phillips is being interviewed. If you remember when BoB was first aired, they didn't tell you who they were speaking to, specifically, until later. Sledge and Leckie died in 2001. Basligone died much earlier (to put it mildly). Of the somewhat main characters, I think only Sid is alive.