Oxford Shirts

superbeveridge

I don't know if this post is going to offend but I'll state it anyway.

I have a weird body type. I'm a slim dude, not too tall, slightly thicker neck than normal with pretty long arms. I'm a ectomorphic primate. I always had a lot of trouble with shirts being too baggy in the back or too slim in the chest. The necks so small that even unbuttoned they look like a polyester disco shirt.

They might not be the most traditional of the oxfords on the market, but Our Legacy makes one hell of a shirt. The construction is great and the fabrics are of a high quality. They're not too slim for the most part (there's a lot of diversity in their cuts) and not baggy by most male standards. There's some really inventive takes on the oxford. I have a plain medium-blue oxford in size small. They're viking sized so it might be kind of big on some of us but I always tuck and never find a problem. The arms fit well if you're not a huge beefcake or kate moss. The arms are a little long, kind of like how a Dries shirt's arms are a little too long. They roll nice if you like a low-roll. They tuck nicely and you can ever raise your arms up without having to retuck. If you wear them untucked they look great. One cut, the 1940's, is a little more traditional and should be tucked unless you know how to pull it off.

I highly recommend OL shirts. They're not for everybody, but you should give them a try. They often fit slightly large.

I don't know if this post is going to offend but I'll state it anyway.

I have a weird body type. I'm a slim dude, not too tall, slightly thicker neck than normal with pretty long arms. I'm a ectomorphic primate. I always had a lot of trouble with shirts being too baggy in the back or too slim in the chest. The necks so small that even unbuttoned they look like a polyester disco shirt.

They might not be the most traditional of the oxfords on the market, but Our Legacy makes one hell of a shirt. The construction is great and the fabrics are of a high quality. They're not too slim for the most part (there's a lot of diversity in their cuts) and not baggy by most male standards. There's some really inventive takes on the oxford. I have a plain medium-blue oxford in size small. They're viking sized so it might be kind of big on some of us but I always tuck and never find a problem. The arms fit well if you're not a huge beefcake or kate moss. The arms are a little long, kind of like how a Dries shirt's arms are a little too long. They roll nice if you like a low-roll. They tuck nicely and you can ever raise your arms up without having to retuck. If you wear them untucked they look great. One cut, the 1940's, is a little more traditional and should be tucked unless you know how to pull it off.

I highly recommend OL shirts. They're not for everybody, but you should give them a try. They often fit slightly large.

shit, yeah. I forgot I had an OL red oxford too. Fuck, I have way too many oxfords. On the shirt I own, the fabric isn't as beefy as the other brands I've mentioned though the hand is still nice. Think I have the 1940's cut? I get pretty confused by all their cuts, especially since this season they added like a 1950s cut and a 1990s cut.

As for Club Monaco I have no idea, but for 20 bucks if they suck who gives a fuck and if they're great then hooray.

• 2 weeks later...
just bought two club montaco oxfords for 20 a pop

what should i expect assuming i sized correctly.

These aren't bad. The cloth is pretty thick compared to other mall brand offerings, and the collar is higher. Sized right you can wear them untucked, though they are sort of blocky. The arms are usually too wide as well. But I'd take them over, | don't know, whatever store's next door. (Unless it's a a Whataburger.)

was able to cop some mercer & sons oxfords, real tight

did you order directly from the company?

i believe they fulfill special requests like "slim fits" even though they are a very traditional company

i've never handled their stuff but it sounds like they really try to emulate the golden era of BB oxford shirts with unlined collars, etc

nevertheless, what do you think of the cloth? good weight?

can you take a pic of the shirt fabric/color?

was able to cop some mercer & sons oxfords, real tight

did you order directly from the company?

i believe they fulfill special requests like "slim fits" even though they are a very traditional company

i've never handled their stuff but it sounds like they really try to emulate the golden era of BB oxford shirts with unlined collars, etc

nevertheless, what do you think of the cloth? good weight?

can you take a pic of the shirt fabric/color?

large, unlined collars, long tails, all the good details, a little baggy but I am a bigger guy 16.5 - 35

i am at work now and wearing one, maybe I will take some pics when i get back later

large, unlined collars, long tails, all the good details, a little baggy but I am a bigger guy 16.5 - 35

i am at work now and wearing one, maybe I will take some pics when i get back later

For those with athletic builds (v-tapered broad shoulders and narrow waist) what brand offers a good fit? I've tried Gitman, BoO, etc. but nothing seems to fit right. Either I have to size up for shoulder fit and end up with a baggy torso, or end up with a great fit in the body but tight chest and shoulders. Very frustrating!

Guest panicinapagoda
For those with athletic builds (v-tapered broad shoulders and narrow waist) what brand offers a good fit? I've tried Gitman, BoO, etc. but nothing seems to fit right. Either I have to size up for shoulder fit and end up with a baggy torso, or end up with a great fit in the body but tight chest and shoulders. Very frustrating!

this. I need to know too

this. I need to know too

"An athletic man, or whatever you want to call him, will only look good in a very classic suit, a pair of classic jeans, athletic clothes or simply naked. Forget fashion. This is not going to happen, unless you want to look like a Chippendales dancer in designer clothes." -- Hedi Slimane

For something as basic as an oxford shirt, you shouldn't really be trying to make a hyped-up brand at Barney's "work" on your stocky frame when it wasn't designed with your body type in mind. It's not really rocket science-- I guess you guess you guys want some "cool shirts" that are somewhat fancy and offer a skinny fit, but that shit doesn't look good when it's bunching up at the armpit and sized way too small in the shoulders.

This thread is about the oxford shirt--a shirt that was popularized and developed in America as a casual sport shirt, not a dress shirt. If you have a really particular body type, I recommend you check out Brooks Brothers' MTM service for shirts. It's probably cheaper than an OTR Band of Outsiders shirt, and you'll get a classic shirt with all the details you want that actually fits you. BB's oxford cloth selection on these shirts is pretty good too.

I guess it also depends on how you're going to wear the shirt too.

Supreme oxfords look like the oxford shirt uniforms that janitors wear, like how a pair Dickies would for a custodial worker. It's a very blue collar look re-appropriated for the street with the shorter collars and squared off short tails.

Brooks Brothers/Mercer/J.Press/Troy Shirtmakers oxfords are really like the root of the oxford shirt tradition. The kind of shirts the dudes in Take Ivy were wearing were not super slim by today's standards (although there were brands in the 60s that did try to make snug-fitting sport shirts).

Your other BoO/Gitman or whatever "modern take on a classic" (ugh) shirts are cool too, with the right style and on the right frame. Totally untraditional style doesn't work well when you try to wear it in a plebeian way if that makes sense.

The untucked/tucked debate on here is ridiculous-- sometimes it's good when it's a lazy weekend and you just don't care, (sorry I'm a sucker for McNairy content, but here:

tumblr_lirw4nO02O1qz702do1_500.jpg

85984741.jpg

takeivyoxford.jpg

untucked style can be good and fine--

but it shouldn't be a point of deliberate and fussy styling, and trying to make shirt tails perfectly grace your belt loops (this is wrong)

and I will quote probably the best lines in this thread:

Stop trying to make the oxford the new going-out shirt. You're tailoring a staunchly American shirt into some Euro-trash nonsense.

If you still don't get it, go buy some Uniqlo oxfords and call it a day, I don't care. Actually, go buy some Charvet shirts and don't even bother with this Oxford shirt nonsense at all.

sorry if posting in the wrong thread.

can anyone tell me who stocks thom browne shirts in LA? am heading there tomorrow.

many thanks

Barney's Coop. They'll probably be on sale; they are here in DC.