vintage pendleton thread

shut up alex

• 4 weeks later...
DSC_0327.JPG

x-post from WAYWT(DE) Vintage Pendleton I found while thrifting

Nice looking jeans and shirt.

^looks like moonshine! Awesome jean/boot combo soonami.

i think it's funny (not bad, just notable) that a number of online retailers are selling "vintage american wool" now through their sites. for example, i own this exact shirt.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1341

I found it at a buffalo exchange five years ago for ~$12, and i love it. I'm a little bit curious where is this stuff coming from for them... anyone on the west coast can usually find these easily in thrift stores and resale shops, but styles and quality will obv. vary. and many have been washed, making them really short in the arms (good for some, bad for others).

soonami - are those materials for making spirits/beer next to ya?

Brewing an Amber Ale! X-mas present ftw

^looks like moonshine! Awesome jean/boot combo soonami.

i think it's funny (not bad, just notable) that a number of online retailers are selling "vintage american wool" now through their sites. for example, i own this exact shirt.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1341

I found it at a buffalo exchange five years ago for ~$12, and i love it. I'm a little bit curious where is this stuff coming from for them... anyone on the west coast can usually find these easily in thrift stores and resale shops, but styles and quality will obv. vary. and many have been washed, making them really short in the arms (good for some, bad for others).

Basically what you said, they have shoppers that scour thrift stores for weeks or months looking for vintage pieces to re-sell. These shirts aren't necessary difficult to find, I have bought 8-10 in the past couple years through occaisional thrifting, but they aren't always for sale when you want to buy them, which is why resellers like Context can stockpile them and then sell them for so much.

Well shirts since the late 60's have the Woolmark on them--40 y/o is vintage to me. it's like saying a '66 501 isn't vintage or 501's w/o hidden rivets aren't vintage...

WAYWT from yesterday: Blackwatch!

DSC_0346.JPG

Well shirts since the late 60's have the Woolmark on them--40 y/o is vintage to me. it's like saying a '66 501 isn't vintage or 501's w/o hidden rivets aren't vintage...

WAYWT from yesterday: Blackwatch!

DSC_0346.JPG

sorry, you're right... my age is catching up with me.... I forget I'm Vintage too...

Either way, they're nice shirts and I own a few myself.

Woolmark was introduced in the mid-60's, so I'm guessing a shirt without it would be 60's at the latest, except that in the past 10 years Pendleton started to not include the woolmark. Some of these shirts aren't made in the US anymore, and they have modern wash information/dry clean tags and often have a tab on the front placket that says something like "genuine campbell tartan"

Woolmark was introduced in the mid-60's, so I'm guessing a shirt without it would be 60's at the latest, except that in the past 10 years Pendleton started to not include the woolmark. Some of these shirts aren't made in the US anymore, and they have modern wash information/dry clean tags and often have a tab on the front placket that says something like "genuine campbell tartan"

unfortunately no. BUT they still make the fabric in their Oregon mills which, in my opinion, is the most important part of the Pendelton shirt.

This is true, at the same time it's very sad to think that it's cheaper for them to take all the fabric and ship it across the world to be cut and sewn only to be shipped back to the US to be distributed among stores.

unfortunately no. BUT they still make the fabric in their Oregon mills which, in my opinion, is the most important part of the Pendelton shirt.

This is true, at the same time it's very sad to think that it's cheaper for them to take all the fabric and ship it across the world to be cut and sewn only to be shipped back to the US to be distributed among stores.

very sad. it would be nice if classic american products could stay 100% American. Maybe some cross company branding, similar to what ®ed has done.

Pendleton could play up the lower carbon footprint too, if their products stayed in the U.S.

Not to mention quality has gone down and the price has gone up. It is still like $100 bucks for a shirt and I will not spend a $100 on a shirt made in Mexico. Companies love to say how they need to ship jobs over seas (in this case across the border, to "remain competitive with prices" yet I don't ever see the price go down when they start manufacturing stuff cheaper. The only thing that changes is their profit margin.

There is almost no reason to buy a new pendleton when there are so many vintage ones in like new condition for much cheaper.

I found a shirt at my local menswear store that is the one on the right in the middle here. It has the tan tag and the mark that looks like the recycling symbol but with yarn.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=484801&ppid=1122ℑ=320238597&images=320238564,320238584,320238597,320238604,320238620&formats=0,0,0,0,0&format=0

The fit is perfect if a bit long. Does anyone know when this shirt may have been produced?