Running

b.e-n

Who runs here?

I run at school, 1500 meters every week, in 3 parts of 500 meters. My record is 1 minute and 40 seconds. Do you have any tips on how I can take 20 seconds off my record (so I can get to 1 minute and 20 seconds)? I have good shoes, a good uniform, good track. I don't drink anything within 30 minutes before though, and I don't know if this is a bad thing for running, but I smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day.

no, i do not consider myself a runner but i'm asking the runners here if they can help me out because they are the ones who would most likely know the answer to my question.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running always sounds like a better idea than it turns out to be. I feel all Forest Gump when I'm getting ready, like I'm gonna have a sunrise behind me and Bob Seger blasting, and then after a couple hundred yards I'm sweating and like "fuck this shit". Then I walk to the donut shop.

Running always sounds like a better idea than it turns out to be. I feel all Forest Gump when I'm getting ready, like I'm gonna have a sunrise behind me and Bob Seger blasting, and then after a couple hundred yards I'm sweating and like "fuck this shit". Then I walk to the donut shop.

yo thats the shitty part though

runners high is dope

I used to run anywhere from 4 to 8 miles a day, but living at a way higher altitude now completely killed my desire to run. I'll be walking down the street and start sucking wind because the air's so thin. Gonna try and get back into it, maybe starting with treadmill then working back into distance.

this is more asking questions than answering anything, but>>>

why are you running 3x500?

is this your only training?

what goals do you have? to lower your time on these intervals? be in better shape generally? work your way up to a long-distance runner? run a marathon someday? be a fast sprinter?

why do you run?

and yes, smoking is bad for runners. fucking duh.

You've got along way to go bud.

500m in 1:40 is a bit faster than speed walking. First off, find a track and do laps (400m). Buck up, aim for 1:05-1:10 per lap and get yourself to the point where you can do 4-5 in a row (all sub 80sec) with about 30-40 seconds rest inbetween each. Call that one set, and do 2-3 of those. So on average you're doing anywhere from about 2.3-3.3 miles per workout, but at a very good pace. This will tire you out and you will want to die, and most likely you wont complete it the first time, or even the first fucking 20 times. But keep at it.

Less than a mile of running in one week is NOT going to cut it. Aim for atleast 16,000 meters a week.

The key here is proper feeding/hydration and consistency with training. Nick the cigarettes, make sure you're properly fueled, etc.

This doesn't really stack up to what you guys are talking about but I've recently started running, my goal is basically to lose some weight and just be more active. I'll usually either run a mile as fast as I can or pace myself out for two miles. Gonna try to push myself to three in the next few weeks. My goal is ultimately to be able to do long distance running.

dont forget stretching,without you will suffer from muscelaches.can be very bad,esp.when you just started.i use to do do long distance running a while ago,now iam not having enough time to do it properly,but sometimes i am able to track down up to 8kms without too much practice.but stretching is always essential.love the endorphines afterwards.

I seriously need to start running again. I used to do a little 2km very quick before taking a shower and sleeping, but now my legs (mostly my right ankle) hurts afterwards and it annoys me so much.

try to do the 2 kms slow,or whatever speed feels comfortable.sounds like your ankles are not warm enough for that speed.if you just started you can try to run a few hundred meters fast ,than switch to a much lower speed.if your muscles/ankles still cold you will suffer.

try to do the 2 kms slow,or whatever speed feels comfortable.sounds like your ankles are not warm enough for that speed.if you just started you can try to run a few hundred meters fast ,than switch to a much lower speed.if your muscles/ankles still cold you will suffer.

I don't really run fast because of that. I stretch before and after and my ankle still hurts..

I seriously need to start running again. I used to do a little 2km very quick before taking a shower and sleeping, but now my legs (mostly my right ankle) hurts afterwards and it annoys me so much.

sounds like you're running on a pair of worn out shoes. never run in a pair of worn shoes, basically the worst thing you can do to your joints and feet.

This doesn't really stack up to what you guys are talking about but I've recently started running, my goal is basically to lose some weight and just be more active. I'll usually either run a mile as fast as I can or pace myself out for two miles. Gonna try to push myself to three in the next few weeks. My goal is ultimately to be able to do long distance running.

that's gonna do absolutely nothing for your aim of losing weight. if you want to loose weight you need to start aiming for a certain time you spend running. so let's say after 15 minutes of jogging (not running!) you kinda get to the point where your body has burned all the calories in your body and will switch over to burning fat. so go at least running for half an hour. it doesn't really matter how far you go just go jogging for a long time.

I run 5k almost every night.

Tips:

- Drink tons of water throughout the day

- Don't eat anything 45 minutes to an hour before running, you run the risk of getting stomach cramps

- Make sure you eat healthy, you need to replenish yourself after burning all those calories

- Wear good shoes because you can get ankle or knee injuries

- Stretch

- Run more often

- Stop fucking smoking.

I run 5k almost every night.

Tips:

- Drink tons of water throughout the day

- Don't eat anything 45 minutes to an hour before running, you run the risk of getting stomach cramps

- Make sure you eat healthy, you need to replenish yourself after burning all those calories

- Wear good shoes because you can get ankle or knee injuries

- Stretch

- Run more often

- Stop fucking smoking.

i always thought you were a pretty lean dude, would you say thats from the running? i wanna start a similar running program (5km - 3mi) a day ... im also doing ckd ... good or bad idea?

i am in the same boat, man. i just started running on labor day (about a month ago). feels really good. wish i could run every day but i am sticking to every other.

just trying to fit into my jeans again

I run about five-to-six miles a night almost everyday. I've been doing it for years now. Really, I think the biggest hurdle most new runners find that veterans don't address when giving advice is that the biggest thing that's going to kill your initiative is boredom. Running, for the most part, is monotonous. Even if you listen to music, when you run you have very little to distract you from your discomfort. So people get all caught up in how shitty it feels in the first fifteen-twenty minutes and never get a rhythm. What redX said is key: if you want to run seriously, you need to run at least thirty minutes a go and you need to do it often. Eventually it will become just another part of routine, and soon after you will start to get that runner's euphoria that'll really put a motor in you.

And for what it's worth, I observe almost no practical considerations when I run, I don't stretch, wear very good gear, I run after meals, etc etc. Not to say my run wouldn't be smoother if I did, or that my performance wouldn't be better, but I'm just lazy. But I think you have to get used to toughing out less than optimal conditions. A lot of times you're going to find yourself heading out there feeling pretty shitty, so I find it's best to make comfort a nonissue right from the get go. Don't think that everything needs to be perfect before you get out there.

On another note, for anyone who listens to music when they run, I never really stuck with it because I found it ended up ruining my earbuds. What sort of headphones do you guys use?

the monotony is a big part of the appeal to me

i am often over-stimulated so spending ~20 minutes just listening to my feet pound the pavement and my heart pounding in my ears is a relief

and basically i bought some jp. new balance (1400s) that i need to justify by frequent use...

are there any throwback type running attire brands out there?

all the current stuff i've seen would make me feel like i'm running on a holodeck on the starship enterprise

i got some made in the usa sweats from swami

i know cotton is a no-no for runners but for my ~ 2 mile runs i don't think it will be an issue

i want some wool gear, like knickerbockers or something

what did runners wear in 1930?

Just went on a great fucking 4 mile. Jesus that was awesome.

Good stuff man. Cardio definitely helps you get lean, especially when you pair it with a good diet and weight training. I run at like 12:30-1:00am because it's great just running in the night when not much else is going on. I'm also pretty tired after, so I hop in the shower then hit the sack; running is great for people with insomnia, lol.