Minimal, Tech Haus, Techno & Variants

jcotteri

some quick directions on how to embed following a few pm's asking me how.

say this is the youtube link:

then to embed it on sufu is like so, though of course removing the asterix's...

[youtube*]z-Qi2n1MSo8[*/youtube]

so you get:

z-Qi2n1MSo8

awaiting Habia to expand upon his tastes as they seem so magical

Ha, here I am. "magical" not too sure about that... I do consider myself a pretty hardcore music fan and underground head in lifestyle though.

I honestly am not too deep into the minimal scene, especially not techno or trance since I don't even like much of what I hear.

That being said, two artists- Isolée and DJ Koze- have really changed my life.

It started out summer after 11th grade when I was chilling in Tokyo. Read about Shibuya's Cisco Records in some guidebook and while I was going through DJ Krush records the Isolee song My Hi-Matic came on in the store. I was like "This is fresh," bought the We Are Monster LP then bought the CD a couple months later when I realized my CD player sounded a lot better than my record player.

Then I read about Kosi Comes Around by DJ Koze in The New Yorker's year end best music list. Bought it, was absolutely not into the record at all for months until I was in the back of a van on that one huge downhill section of road going into Death Valley at 11 or 12pm after 14 hours on the road. Since getting Kosi Comes Around the past January I had been primarily listening on my Stax SR-404 (which I got in Tokyo the same summer as the Isolee album.. just trying to establish some narrative continuity) but in the van I was using Etymotic ER-4P/S which really brought out the detail and aural textures Koze creates.

After that I started looking into more Playhouse and Kompakt artists.. got some Total compulations, started listening to Villalobos through the Koze compilation All People is my Friends. Over and over though I keep coming back to We Are Monster and Rest by Isolee and Kosi Comes Around by DJ Koze. Check these albums out they are straight up art.

A lot of Isolee's stuff actually isn't even minimal if you go by the musical definition of minimalism... grabbed this phrase off the wikipedia page it is pretty close to my understanding of the movement "steady pulse (if not immobile drones), stasis and slow transformation, and often reiteration of musical phrases or smaller units such as figures, motifs and cells."

One artists who really caught my attention on the Total 6 compilation is Rex the Dog. Anyone listen to him much? Recommendations?

And I know Stefan Kozalla AKA DJ Koze has had some other musical projects goine on, mainly Adolf Noise. Anyone listen to those? How are they?

larry thats a fantastic track.. sublime stuff right there. I have never heard it before either, i haven't been in the game long enough. Some great music was released in the mid 90's

have one of his tracks featured on Jeff Mills: The Exhibitionist which is a loose mix ot say the least..

interesting though..

so that reminds me of one of my favourite things:

Jeff Milligan layering minimal to create live remixes or even new tracks. this canadian is much more of a mistro that Jeff Mills imo.

9I8VXgiGqF4

4VOfCl789O8

y2aAYz4J6Tg

perfection

Thought i would post a short fav artists list: here is some new and old :)

Placed in alphabetic order for your reading pleasure. Some of these artists are not on rotation anymore as they have changed the direction of their music in a negative direction, but i like them all for various tacks, albums, EP LPs etc :D

Adultnapper, Ambivalent

Akiko Kiyama

Andomat 3000

Anna

Ante Perry

Babylon Robots

Chris Fortier

Cirez D

Cobblestone Jazz

Daniel Bell

Dominik Eulberg

Einzelkind

False

Frivolous

Funk D'Void/Francois Dubois

Gabriel Anada

Guille and the Coutu Dumont

Henrik Schwartz

Holger Brauns & Gerald Peklar and also holgers duo with Haktan O'nal

Ido Oshkopun

Isolee

Ito and Ran Shani

Jeff Samuel

Jichael Mackson

John Acquaviva

John Dahlbäck

John Lagora,

Juan Atkins

Koze

Ludwig Coenen

M.A.N.D.Y.

Martin Buttrich

Max Cavalerra

Minilogue

Move D

Muzzaik

Nathan Fake

Pan-Pot

Patric La Funk

Paul Kalkbrenner

Paul Ritch

Pheek

Pig & Dan

Reflexno

Ricardo Villalobos

Robag Wruhme

Robert henke/Monolake

Rother

Samim

Sascha Funke

Skoozbot

Stewart Walker

Supermayer

Sven Väth

Swat Squad & Paul Ritch

Terrence Dixon

Tobias Luetzenkirchen

Tomas Andersson

Tony Senghore

Zoo Brazil

ok keagen i wanted to cosign on that robert hood podcast. It is excellent, i'm listening to it for the third time through just now.

Also i'm not sure who will be interested but i'm pretty into ambient style minimal/techno, so Robert henke is always right up my alley.

i have just rediscovered a set i had of his and didn't reall listen to it much,Rrobert refers to it as a track but i feel it more falls into the live set style. here is his write up:

The track here is a stereo recording of the very first Layering Buddha six channel performance, recorded on January 31 2007 at Maria am Ufer during the Club Transmediale events in Berlin. The material for this performance is derived from material I created for the Layering Buddha CD & Vinyl release . During the performance the audience is placed in between a ring of six speakers with the performer sitting in between them in the center. The layers of sound were dynamically distributed in space, providing an experience of being really placed in between the sonic cloud where the acoustic result depends on the position of the listener.

The recording is only a poor document of something much bigger and cannot really capture the quality and sonic density of the live performance. However, it sounds surprisingly cool and this is why I decided to make it public. The recording has some clippings and other technical flaws but I like it anyway. If you have two or more computers running in the same room try playing back the track on all of them, starting them at different times.... At some point I might release a sourround version on DVD.

Out of respect to this master i will not post a live link or a link on a one click webhoster. Please visit his website to download. i promise fast d/l speeds :D

Also guys/girls this is about as minimal/ambient as you can get, within limits of course (no need to prove me wrong i know there is more minimal)

Give this a listen if you consider yourself a fiend

*cough keagan

http://www.monolake.de/downloads/layering_buddha_live.html

Oh for all of the Robert Henke fans out there he is rereleasing Hongkong , the first Monolake album from 1997, remastered 2008. it will be available in June as a nicely packaged CD and online via iTunes, Beatport...

Woot!

In 1996 Gerhard Behles and I attended the International Computer Music Conference in Hong Kong. I took the chance to capture field recordings in and around Hong Kong and Guangzhou. The trip was very inspiring, and we believe that the music we created afterwards reflects the atmosphere and mood of this experience. For the compilation of our first vinyl releases to a CD album in 1997, we not only chose the title Hongkong, but also refined the original songs with material derived from the field recordings I made. We also added a previously unreleased closing title that is based on a recording captured in a subway train of Hong Kong's public transport.

For the re-release we decided to go for a new mastering, since the experience with the Interstate album was so great. The mastering of this album went equally well and adds a lot to the original recordings. We also decided to remove the track Index Ifrom the remastered version. It simply doesn't fit in, and we already had discussions about it in 1997. Now it's gone and it will find a new home online later and on vinyl

Produced by Gerhard Behles and Robert Henke 1995-1997. Ambient recordings captured in Hong Kong & Guangzhou 1996. Synthesizer solo on Mass Transit Railway by Wieland Samolak . Mastering of the second edition by Rashad Becker, edits by Robert Henke. Total running time 59:30

Eps that have been carrying me through the day:

Shlomi Aber - In Theory Yes / Efrat EP

Steve Mill - Ewa Beach / Hanuama Bay EP (yeh i do deep/prog house every so often)

Guy Gerber - Disorientation EP (especially the Reboot's Clik & Gogogo Rework)

Ellen Allien - Sprung

Akiko Kijama - 7 years part 1/2

Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts - Le Crew Normande EP (i'm in love with this dude and Karat, damn you DEMF goers)

Ido Oshkopun - Out Of Burma (thanks daniel bell)

more to come :D

Guest doubletap

a little late, but did anyone go to mutek, montreal?

i ended up missing onur ozer & mathias kaden on sunday due to stayin up for 3 days in a row... I mean, why sunday?!

so i have been listening to this daniel bell set for a bit now, after a few listens i am really liking it, though the mixing is a little slumpy at times there arn't any train wrecks. There was one mix where a record completely ends and another starts this was weird but i guess just an error.

Its a bit of a mixture genre wise, mostly minimal house, deep house, microhouse, minimal tech, tech/electro and straight out bleepy minimal. I fucking love it :D

here is as much of an updated tracklist as i can find:

000:00 Vera and Federico Molinari - Tusch For Mike

002:00 sascha dive - bdown variation 3

015:00 markus fix - panacota

032:00 Slowhouse - Slowhouse 01 (A1)

037:00 move d - got thing

045:30 move d - workshop 002

045:30 x-press 2 - kill 100 (lost heroes remix)

050:00 kawabata - persuasion

057:00 Pole - Pferd (Melchior Productions' Zodiac Mix)

064:00 peter grummich's - moondancer

075:00

080:00 gilles smith - butterfly bee (andomat 3000 rmx)

089:00 Scott Fergusson - I Cried For You (Walk In The Park Remix)

091:00 tom ellis - smile (leif rmx)

096:00 Audio Soul Project - Community

100:00 Vera and Federico Molinari - Tusch For Mike

104:00 Melchior Productions - In the Spirit

108:00 Mountain People - Mountain 004

115:00 Frederico Molinari - Eneverde

126:00 Patrice Scott - Atmospheric Emotions

136:00 Efdemin - Lohn & Brot (tobias. Remix)

143:00 laid - punch up

147:00 Vera & Molinari - It Aint Music

150:00 freaks - turning orange (losoul rmx)

155:00 sascha dive - street life (samuel davis dark groove remix)

161:30 Unknown Artist - Flöte

165:00 jichael mackson - schnurz

170:00 Soul Capsule - Overcome

177:00 Marcel Wave - 27 Holton (Serafin's Back To New York Re-interpretation)

190:00

192:00 Johhny D - Orbitalife

198:00 ray valioso - youll never be mine

201:00 kerri chandler - kong

205:00 scott grooves - 500 only

210:00 Unknown Artist - Rose 2 Red (A)

217:00 Rozzo - I Wish I Was A Black Cat

220:00 markus fix - one day soon

224:00 Kat Williams - That Track By Kat

230:00 Unknown Artist - Backroom Joke

235:00 Hugo - Born To Pop

239:00 david labeij - choose red

250:00 Jus-Ed - Yo This Shit Is Hot! (Tea Pot Mix)

255:00 Mountain People - Mountain 5.2

260:00 Andre Galluzzi & Guido Schneider - Albertino

265:00 Radio Slave - Dedication

269:00 adonis - no way back

276:00 Nagano Kitchen / Ferrer & Sydenham Inc.* - North Central / Timbuktu (Dark Rub)

279:00 Raresh - Dry Tool censored.gif

282:00 Henrik Schwarz - Chicago censored.gif - it's a remix but i don't know exactly who's

288:00 Nick Curly - Tele-Vision

293:00 Matt John - Boeing Highlfy (Let Me Hupe Mix)

300:00 Damian Schwartz - *2020

308:00 Kawabata - Persuasion (Serafin's Back To New York Re-Interpretation)

314:00 Lemos & Chevy - Woman's Key

321:00 Minimal Man - Make A Move

324:50 Johhny D - Riddim Mood

329:00 Altitude (2) - Further

333:00 treatment feel (soul capsule vs. tan-ru mix)

336:00 Delano Smith - A Message For The DJ (Original)

341:00 Kenny Dope* & Terry Hunter Present Mass Destruction - No Hook

346:00 Run Stop Restore - Suck My Christmas

353:00 Cabanne - Boulinge

357:00 Rhadoo - Slagare

365:00 jerome yydenham & tiger stripes - elevation (radio slave panorama garage mix)

369:00 melchior - let's go deep

381:00 patrice scott- visions of mantada

385:00 serafin - liquid daydream

394:00

409:00 Bruno Pronsato / Cinelli?

429:00 Slowhouse - Slowhouse 2 (b1)

434:00 Melchior Productions - The Hypnotist

437:00 Mountain People - Mountain 5.1

full seven hour sets by bell, serathin and bell can be found at (direct link):

http://www.p45.ch/sounds/mixes/[email protected]

right click save as for those that dont know :D

just some eps i have been diggin lately.

Shlomi Aber - In Theory Yes / Efrat

Axel Boman - Jungle Jesus ep (I reckon you might like this one Keagan...yummmm)

Kolombo - Flute De Pan / Tesa

Zahn - Anti-Gray (joel mull remixes)

woaaahhh

i like it.. yeh figured this style would fit your mould :D

anyone got jay hazes new album? I downloaded the second installment off his website fro free. I haven't unarchived it yet. If you got his new album tell me how i goes. For this that want his second installment for free check out:

http://www.jayhaze.com/