Superfashion randoms thoughts

Guest jmatsu

So at what point did the japland brands decide it was 'normal' to be charging $1k for nylon parkas?

Because I'm sitting here wearing a vtg 60/40 Sierra designs parka i bought for 100 off das 'bay and laughing at fucks who are buying the sophnet x lol x woolen woolrich x undercover nylon shit.

hell, i can get a custom designed leather jacket from drew & co for $750 and that's something my kids are going to be playing with.

Are you talking about a japanese garment being $1k at a North American store or in Japan?

I'm going to assume you are talking about North America. Its not the brands that are charging $1k for the jackets, its the stores. See in Japan, retail markup is typically 40% while North American mark up is typically 100% if not more in the kinds of stores superfuturians like to shop in. Add the typically massive duties (lets say, $100 per garment) that come along with importing garments from Japan and that explains your expensive nylon jacket. That $1000 parka is probably only $600 in Japan, which of course is still a lot of money compared to $100, but then again, a vintage jacket is was likely used and therefore can be purchased at a discount.

As for TOJ leathers, they are awesome, but comparing the price of a TOJ leather jacket to anything else simply isn't fair. Drew operates outside of the typical wholesale/retail market. By cutting out the middle man, he's essentially saving you half the price. I'd assume that he's actually charging more than what the wholesale would be on the jackets if he was selling to stores, that way increasing his profits, while simultaneously reaffirming the customers belief that he's getting a bargain. Which he is, I've seen toj stuff and its great, you are getting more than your monies worth.

TOJ is like Netflix, they are offering product to you at prices that their competition can't match because they operate with much, much lower costs. Will they be as successful as Netflix? time will tell. I've been very keen to watch their growth and see the way consumers are reacting to a product offering that doesn't revolve around the typical 2/4 seasons most brands do. It's very encouraging.

Anyways, hope that helps clear things up for you.

Are you talking about a japanese garment being $1k at a North American store or in Japan?

I'm going to assume you are talking about North America. Its not the brands that are charging $1k for the jackets, its the stores. See in Japan, retail markup is typically 40% while North American mark up is typically 100% if not more in the kinds of stores superfuturians like to shop in. Add the typically massive duties (lets say, $100 per garment) that come along with importing garments from Japan and that explains your expensive nylon jacket. That $1000 parka is probably only $600 in Japan, which of course is still a lot of money compared to $100, but then again, a vintage jacket is was likely used and therefore can be purchased at a discount.

As for TOJ leathers, they are awesome, but comparing the price of a TOJ leather jacket to anything else simply isn't fair. Drew operates outside of the typical wholesale/retail market. By cutting out the middle man, he's essentially saving you half the price. I'd assume that he's actually charging more than what the wholesale would be on the jackets if he was selling to stores, that way increasing his profits, while simultaneously reaffirming the customers belief that he's getting a bargain. Which he is, I've seen toj stuff and its great, you are getting more than your monies worth.

TOJ is like Netflix, they are offering product to you at prices that their competition can't match because they operate with much, much lower costs. Will they be as successful as Netflix? time will tell. I've been very keen to watch their growth and see the way consumers are reacting to a product offering that doesn't revolve around the typical 2/4 seasons most brands do. It's very encouraging.

Anyways, hope that helps clear things up for you.

Ha, thanks actually for that. Yeah, I was wondering what had happened. Just the ridiculousness of 60/40 shells costing $1k+ is blowing my mind. Time to go rustle up Hide-san and get me some Japanese goretex....

I have not seen the video as well though I did not warm up to the clothes from the pictures. I must see the show. Going from the pictures lots of cute coats and lovely bags but the overall look did not do much for me.