Benzak Denim Developers

benzak

The last couple of months I've been working on a jeansmaking project, which I call Benzak Denim Developers. As a start, I designed and developed a limited run (36 pairs) of jeans. Since last week, my website is up and running, completing all preparations for releasing the limited run.

♦ Selvage denim with green listing (100% cotton)

♦ 14.5 oz.

♦ Left Hand Twill

♦ Double Ringspun

♦ Pure Indigo Cast

♦ Sanforized

♦ Unwashed

♦ Button Fly

332ywrm.jpg

Back

2qkla2x.jpg

BDD label

2eq6uy0.jpg

selvage with green listing

Let me know what you all think: any comment is appreciated. And if you like, you can visit my website at benzakdenimdevelopers.com (also all info on the jeans can be found on the website.. click here).

Plus, I offer a 25% discount on all SUFU members including free shipping anywhere in the world (normal price is EUR 179 ex shipping). Just PM me..

The fit pics on your website look good.

But having polyester as a pocketlining isn't the best idea as polyester pills like a bitch and it's not breathable which is important for those in hotter climates (also gives feeling of cheapness).

The logo could be developed further but I'm a graphic designer so i'm just being nit picky :P

Denim looks nice (and your logo). Kaihara?

Thanks!

I cannot tell you the mill, but it is European denim.

Yeah I like the logo

was it intentional that you did the chainstitch hem inside out?

Thanks as well!

Glad you asked about the inside out chainstitch. It was during development that the atelier accidently put it inside out, but I kinda liked it and kept it this way.

The fit pics on your website look good.

But having polyester as a pocketlining isn't the best idea as polyester pills like a bitch and it's not breathable which is important for those in hotter climates (also gives feeling of cheapness).

The logo could be developed further but I'm a graphic designer so i'm just being nit picky :P

I'll take your advise in account with future developments.. thanks!

Guest DCDenim

179 EU?

With that price it's going to be hard to stand out.

With all the minimalistic raw denim labels out there, with hardly anything to set them apart, is there really any room for another? Feels like you guys are 5 years late to the game.

Anyway, I would love to have my own denim workshop, if it could work out. It's really cool to be able to do what you love whilst making $$$. Business AND pleasure...

yo, until you roll out your own denim that "stands out", quit ragging on other people who had the vision and the means to actually live the dream. You bitch about every got dam brand out there except for RRL. Give it a break

179 EU?

With all the minimalistic raw denim labels out there, with hardly anything to set them apart, is there really any room for another? Feels like you guys are 5 years late to the game.

Anyway, I would love to have my own denim workshop, if it could work out. It's really cool to be able to do what you love whilst making $$$. Business AND pleasure...

This is the way a lot of business will be from here on out, with the internet enabling niche manufacturers. You don't need a massive market share when you make them by hand. Welcome to the superfuture.

Keep it up Benzak.

Hello Benzak - Your jeans look great, good luck. Why do you use Sanforized denim and will you be using unsanforized denim in the future?

Using unsanforized denim is definately something I will be looking at in the future. Pattern development is a little different for unsanforized denim, which I want to fully learn before actually using it.

Ah, is this a mill that supplies a certain VF corp line? Looks great. What's the shrinkage?

Don't know about VF, but I do know they produce selvage denim for Levi's..

179 EU?

You must understand that I only produced 36 pairs for this first run, which is relatively more expensive than producing much larger lots. But like I mentioned, for SUFU members the price will be EUR 135 (25% discount). I offer this because I prefer my jeans to be worn by people who are that into denim as myself.

And yeah, the main reason I am doing this because I want to work with one of the things I love most: denim. I'm having fun doing this, and I think that is the most important, just like you said!

This is the way a lot of business will be from here on out, with the internet enabling niche manufacturers. You don't need a massive market share when you make them by hand. Welcome to the superfuture.

Keep it up Benzak.

Thanks!

But you did understand I do not make them myself by hand? I design and develop the product, and they are produced in a small atelier.

Guest DCDenim

Keep it up Benzak.

I am wondering about that, I think if you have a B&M denim shop in a big city or rich part of town, you can cater to the locals and that's the best way to make money.

But once you go online there are so many edgy labels both large and small readily available that it is staggering. A cult-like following and forum hype keep the user base loyal to the established merchants making it seemingly impossible to find a niche that hasn't been beaten to death already.

Guest DCDenim
yo, until you roll out your own denim that "stands out", quit ragging on other people who had the vision and the means to actually live the dream. You bitch about every got dam brand out there except for RRL. Give it a break

lol @ the vision - if by vision you mean the guy buys closeout denim, pays an 'atelier' to produce it, can someone tell me what work is required here on his behalf other than spending money and giving a few measurements/detail specs? At least Ande Whall makes his stuff from scratch using a selection of several nice denims, a lot of cuts, unique details and offers a lot of individuality.

and no, I respect a lot of brands, your shitty 501 STF aren't one of them..

Nice dcd.

- Get banned from StyleForum for being a complete dick to Mauro. [x].

- Start shit with everyone on sufu. [x].

- Go from green to red, [x].

- DCDenim fanclub [ ]

You're on a roll, next up is someone is going to have to create a DCDenim Fanclub

Guest DCDenim

the rep system is complete garbage (you got all your reps from posting pics of you in your STF.. you think you deserve reps for that.. lulz)

the fact that you reference the rep system so much to judge your self worth shows us what kind of pussy you really are.

179 Eur ( without our discount) for a pair of jeans that was part of a run of 36 doesnt sound very expensive to me

Left hand twill and green selvedge , its nice to see smaller companies have the ability to bust out because of the internet.

The start up capital needed for a venture like this without it would be astronomical

With all the minimalistic raw denim labels out there, with hardly anything to set them apart, is there really any room for another?

Im pretty sure no one ever started out their own company and had a product that "stood out" and had a massive following right from the get go, developing a following and your own detail/edginess will come with time.

I think you did a fantastic job for a first run benzak, and the fact that you are in touch with a bunch of denim nutcases asking for input shows your head is in the right place

the rep system is complete garbage (you got all your reps from posting pics of you in your STF.. you think you deserve reps for that.. lulz)

the fact that you reference the rep system so much to judge your self worth shows us what kind of pussy you really are.

can I neg rep someone anonymously?

tg put it best "your rep counts for nothing". Benzak, any pictures of worn in pair? That inside out chainstitching is pretty unique and I def like the logo. Great job on the denim

Thanks!

But you did understand I do not make them myself by hand? I design and develop the product, and they are produced in a small atelier.

Ohhh, I just assumed from the label. Still, I'm learning what a pain in the balls the whole process is, so good on you anyways.

the inside out chainstitching isn't unique by any means. Diesel has been doing it for years. Not that you would know anything about that...

you are absolutely correct, I wouldn't know anything about Diesel, I just simply don't go apeshit over brands like that. Thank the sweet Jesus Christ we have a Diesel expert on this forum to keep everyone honest.

chill with the beef on this thread, let the dudes thread be.

really liking the jeans benzak. LHT is something I'd love to see more of so I'm glad you went with it. I'm digging the dark belt loop stitching and insideout chainstitch, very subtle details but they make your jeans unique.

keep it up!

^ what he said about your guys drama

i like the look and it being lht as well but that price point (well at least for me) is a big turn off because thats almost 300 for an unknown brand.. if i had more income i wouldnt mind it to be honest but i gotta work with what i know.

you will do great things man just keep on going.

oh and also are there worn pics of the denim?

Ah, is this a mill that supplies a certain VF corp line? Looks great. What's the shrinkage?

Missed your question.. I did a homewashing test, 60 degrees with no tumble dry, and they shrunk max 1 size in waist and approx 5cm/2inches in lenght (which I fully stretched back while still damp)

179 Eur ( without our discount) for a pair of jeans that was part of a run of 36 doesnt sound very expensive to me

Left hand twill and green selvedge , its nice to see smaller companies have the ability to bust out because of the internet.

The start up capital needed for a venture like this without it would be astronomical

Im pretty sure no one ever started out their own company and had a product that "stood out" and had a massive following right from the get go, developing a following and your own detail/edginess will come with time.

I think you did a fantastic job for a first run benzak, and the fact that you are in touch with a bunch of denim nutcases asking for input shows your head is in the right place

Yes I really enjoy all imput, especially from the SUFU community. I think it's very important to get direct feedback from the target group and although I am a member since 2005 (mostly lurking) I still learn every day.

tg put it best "your rep counts for nothing". Benzak, any pictures of worn in pair? That inside out chainstitching is pretty unique and I def like the logo. Great job on the denim
^ what he said about your guys drama

i like the look and it being lht as well but that price point (well at least for me) is a big turn off because thats almost 300 for an unknown brand.. if i had more income i wouldnt mind it to be honest but i gotta work with what i know.

you will do great things man just keep on going.

oh and also are there worn pics of the denim?

I will post a picture of my own pair, which I've been wearing for 6 weeks now. It shows some wear already and should be an okay measurement for the fading/colour potential. If you are interested I can also post a pic of the fabric stonewashed in different degrees. Other than that I don't have worn in stuff (yet)

And to all others: thanks for all the feedback already!