superdupersang

Architecture

Parque Litoral, a trash processing plant in Barcelona by the firm Abalos Herreros (they're from Barcelona, i used to work with them as an intern some years ago), a beautiful building for a dirty work.

_balos_herreros__planta_integral_de_residuos__parque_litoral_nord_est__sant_adri_de_bes_s_10__zps42b96301.jpg

_balos_herreros__planta_integral_de_residuos__parque_litoral_nord_est__sant_adri_de_bes_s_9__zpsed7b1217.jpg

_balos_herreros__planta_integral_de_residuos__parque_litoral_nord_est__sant_adri_de_bes_s_8__zpsd7de8125.jpg_balos_herreros__planta_integral_de_residuos__parque_litoral_nord_est__sant_adri_de_bes_s_5__zps8c99515a.jpg_balos_herreros__planta_integral_de_residuos__parque_litoral_nord_est__sant_adri_de_bes_s_4__zpsd736d30f.jpg_balos_herreros__planta_integral_de_residuos__parque_litoral_nord_est__sant_adri_de_bes_s_2__zps38bf73f9.jpg

Does anybody know how is with accessibility of the Eames house? I read on the Eames foundation page:

You are welcome to visit the Eames House for an exterior, self-guided tour...

the Eames House is private property in a residential neighborhood. You are visiting the House and grounds at your own risk. The Eames Foundation is not responsible for your well-being while you are on the property

What's up with that? Am I gonna get raped for taking pics of the exterior or something?

HO_EXs102ed-Visit-large.jpg

Edited by hugoagassi

i'm doing a final paper on the new saint laurent store designs and am wondering if anyone with greater knowledge on the subject (only a first year in college but majoring in history of art and architecture) wants to chip in some info/analysis. WSJ says saint laurent cites french art deco and the union des artistes modernes as influences but i see quite a bit of van der rohe in there. here are the pics -> http://thetemplesofconsumption.blogspot.com/2012/10/saint-laurent-store-concept-by-hedi.html

thoughts? thanks for the help!

Does anybody know how is with accessibility of the Eames house? I read on the Eames foundation page:

What's up with that? Am I gonna get raped for taking pics of the exterior or something?

HO_EXs102ed-Visit-large.jpg

I've been there twice. The inside isn't accessible, but there are paths that you can walk on and there's a swing that overlooks the ocean. There's a fee (10 bucks or something) unless you're a student, but they didn't make me show ID or anything. For a pretty large fee you can go in the house or even spend the night, I think... I took some pictures while I was there I think.

The comment about your safety is probably just for liabilities sake.

Next year will be my first year of college and I'm going in as an arch major, any ideas of what I should expect?

I mean do you have any more specific questions

what school are you going to

Ohio State University, not the best for Arch, but I'm in the scholars program so I get to study abroad a lot.

my advice - seriously reconsider your decision to peruse arch <_<

disclaimer: coming from jaded, under-slept MArch thesis student who will likely graduate into no job.

don't worry home! just work hard on your portfolio! i have an interview later this month :)

if it's anything like it was at my school there'll be a big attrition rate in the first semester or two as people who suck or hate it drop and move to a business major or something. i guess i missed out on the to-ga to-ga aspect of the college experience but that's not so bad really and i can't imagine what i would have preferred to study. if it's really for you and you enjoy it the long hours won't seem so bad. if you hate it it's not going to get much better, best to get out before you cut your thumb off rushing to finish a model before your review.

Be friends with the biz majors so you can bring a stack of project pitches to your post-grad job interviews (2)

anything el croquis.

and you're australian. buy sean godsell's. current highpoint of australian architecture by a long shot.

also if you jump on amazon.jp, almost all of the toto (publisher) books are worth owning. from aalto and corb through to fujimoto and bow-wow.

Edited by home

my advice - seriously reconsider your decision to peruse arch <_<

disclaimer: coming from jaded, under-slept MArch thesis student who will likely graduate into no job.

seconding this. you'll doubt yourself often but it's up to you if you're passionate enough about it to stick with it. expect no sleep, lots of complaining, overkill on caffeine, and cramped studios.

And for the record, 99% of practicing architects would say: studio/school > real-life practice

So keep that in mind.

Well, the more and more I think about it the more I've been leaning towards arch as my major. I've been looking at UIC's and IIT's arch programs and both look pretty good. They're not top arch schools but I'd like to know what you guys know about the programs. I'd prob go with UIC's tho only because its cheaper. I've been to IIT before when I visited a cousin's friend and we went inside Crown Hall and it was incredible.

Edited by AH+

just for the record: appleseed is a baller ass architect

Edited by mr.invincible

And for the record, 99% of practicing architects would say: studio/school > real-life practice

So keep that in mind.

How heavily would you recommend a masters?

just for the record: appleseed is a baller ass architect

Ha, I dunno about that-

How heavily would you recommend a masters?

You want to be an official, licensed Architect with a capital 'A'? Do you already have a B.Arch? If not, then most states will require a professional degree (M.Arch) to pursue licenseship. Committing to a Masters in a field that is highly unemployable is a heavy, personal decision. That said, many programs give you a wide-ranging skill set that can be applied to any number of (often times far more lucrative) professions.

To answer your question would require a lot more detail on your background, experience in design (the field of), and what you want to do in the future. FWIW, I spent a good bit of last week hustling prospective students for my alma mater (SCIarc) - so if you have any legit questions feel free to PM.

Anybody here into Brutalism? I'm currently taking a course on it with Anthony Vidler, who was taught by its pioneers, Alison and Peter Smithson, and I'm doing my final paper on its influence on Siki Im's designs. Anybody have thoughts to share on that? Suggestions? 

Bringin it back

GRAF-ME-0004.jpg

GRAF-ME-0009.jpg

+ some interior stuff:

ss_100114_04.jpg