supernerds: MTG discussion, vintage type two legacy you name it.

sawn-off chef

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the height of my MTG career I was ranked 1940 in constructed(top 20 in canada) and about 1900 in composite (top 50 in the world for 16 and under).

I was invited to Pro Tour Columbus , Junior Super Series Championships and I could have had a three round bye at grand prix Montreal but I wasn't going and allowed my friend to beat me in the finals to take the byes.

3x Provincial Championships (Prince Edward Island) still think some of my winning decks are on brainburst, or whatever the hell that site turned into. I also top 8'ed regionials twice.

Play tested with Zvi Mowshwitz on a program called apprentice because I was one of the only people that could match his speed of playtesting at the time. I innovated the deck "Ten Cent Affinity" which was incredibly popular for a while as well as a Grizzly Fate/Worship deck that Zvi and I put together.

Brag post, but either way magic cards are still gay as fucccck.

I played Type 2 in Odyssey and Onslaught blocks. Drafts, constructed, and sealed. I started before that when I was younger, but as with all interests of mine, it got perpetuated by getting sucked into the subculture via forums, and voila. Who wants to play Odyssey/Onslaught type 2 on Apprentice? Hahah

anyone used to post on misetings circa 2002-2003?

as for high profile players i met kaib once when i was 13 or 14

Kai Budde got me into magic online beta which was pretty sick. It's always funny to see dudes you know from magic who play pro poker now :

Dave Williams, Eric Froelich, Noah Boeken, and I think Gary Wise does coverage for cardplayer as well.

LOL what? elaborate on the last one?

The worst thing that ever happened to me "cheating"-wise was at a pro tour qualifier in montreal, just as whatever set vendillion clique is in came out. I was playing doran rock against faeries, and the opponent won game 1. Game 2 it was very close, we were both at ~4. He had played vendillion clique a few turns earlier, but just told me to put the chosen card on the bottom, not draw a new card to replace (the card was in french so I couldn't read it). Not knowing this, I was essentially duressed, and he won when the last card would've won that game (I turned it over at the end) for me, and brought it to game 3.

To this day I don't know whether it was just a communication error, or the player (he was kind of douch-ey) had something malicious in mind.

My friend who played in PTQs and shit cheated all the time. He would tell me after wins the shit he would pull on people. Most of the time it was just bending ruling in his favor or fucking with life totals because the other person would get intimidated or confused.

Most of the dudes I played with were in like the top 10-20 for the state and pulled that shit all the time. Excellent deckmakers and players, though.

EDIT: I remember the Kai Budde thing, vaguely.

Cheating is really fucking annoying imo.

Happened all the time.

I used to draft with this group of kids at the shop, 2 of them always rearranged the cards so they knew what the other was playing and then split the prize.

People always fucking with life totals pisses me off too. People who use the dice and then "accidentally" knock it over. Gotta write that shit down.

Yeah cheating rampant in MTG. In a pre-release I definitlely blocked with an Ichorid. Another time I didn't take damage from a Sparksmith . These were both unintentional though as the cards were new and I can't read.

you ALWAYS play with a pad, if you duress you're allowed to write it down and shit and take notes in game. in this, a pad and pen are your best friend.

Half our playing group were some of the top players in the state, and the other half were serious casual players and noobs. We played for DCI points, so the people who cared played to win. The majority of us used pads and life counters and all that.

As far as I was concerned, I guess I was stuck somewhere in the middle of the two groups. I played weird decks that were bastardizations of popular decks and I generally played to win.

The worst I do is if someone asks me my life total by saying, for example "your at 16?" I'll say yes if it's beneficial to me. If you have me marked at 16 when I'm really at 15 or whatever it's your own fault.

I'm rated 30something in vermont, which isn't really that big of a deal since vermont is dumb and small. I like winning though. I'm better at drafts and win/place high more often than standard.

I was a semi-professional Pro Tour player in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I finished in the money in five of my six Pro Tours. (My highest finish was 12th at Pro Tour: Chicago 1999, and I also finished in the top 8 of two Grand Prixs.) I got burned out, though, as many of my closest friends on the Tour, having come into sizable chunks of money, fell into dissolute lives of drugs and other acts of self-destruction.

There were some articles written about me; Flores wrote one about me here, in which he discussed some of my ideas about deck construction (metagaming) for premier-level events.

From the article:

"The Lan D. Ho Rule

Predict the intuitive decks. Figure out the next-level deck that beats the intuitive decks. As you advance throughout the tournament, there will be fewer intuitive decks and more next-level decks (like yours). To succeed, you must therefore build the best version of the next-level deck, capable of beating other next-level decks, including itself."

I was friends with many of the top players in the game and in fact see many of the old, great players on a regular basis now that I live in New York: Jon Finkel, Chris Pikula, Zvi Mowshowitz, Steve and Dan O'Mahoney-Schwartz, et al. I had dinner with Jon and Bob Maher the other day.

Also, my friend and I began filming a documentary on Magic: The Gathering last year and will be filming through the beginning of 2010. We will spend the bulk of 2010 editing the film and hope to have a rough cut finished by September 2010. It is called I Came to Game and you can find more information about it at http://icametogame.com. We are flying to Kyoto on Tuesday to film the Pro Tour there and will be at all the major events this year, including Honolulu, Austin, and Rome.