supernerds: MTG discussion, vintage type two legacy you name it.

sawn-off chef

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ homelands is blackborder, anthologies has the same logo with a white border

/nerd

it's branded w/ the "Homelands" set icon, rather than the Anthologies set icon... did they do unlimited's like that in the original runs?

I really was only into MtG for the story and the art haha

The Anthologies set was a promotion set printed in 1998. The set Monnitoff is referring to is Renaissance, which was released in the United States as Chronicles. These were white bordered in the States but black bordered in France and Germany. All of them featured the original expansion symbols, regardless of border.

Yo, I can tell you the stories behind most of this shit, but I could not tell you how it works in official play. Fast mana was the cheapest, shittiest and dirtiest way to learn how to play and I was fucking nasty at it. Won so many cards at the lunch table that way.

fuck this thread is pure nostalgia for me. I used to play when I was younger, perhaps more a collector than a player, didn't play serious tournaments but only for fun versus guys at the local mtg club.

Some dude played black lotus + channel + fireball in one of my very first games there, if anyone remembers that combo. My deck evolved to being green/blue, with one red card (ali from cairo), but the deck was based around slowing everything down (winter orb, static orb, lots of counters) and then finish people off with my favourite card, mirror universe or perhaps a storm seeker when I really had the opponents mana on check so his hand was huge. :)

coolest cards I've owned; mirror universe (coolest card ever imo), time walk, chaos orb, forcefield, berserk

guys I have a question for you, some of you seem to know your shit:

Are the old cards (that I loved), such as the ones I mentioned above used/allowed at all? I've seen some decks of the top players and I barely recognized a single card, but looking at cards like ali from cairo, time walk, the moxes, ancestral recall etc, I would think that they are still good enough to be used.

hahaha, i'm honored jeep, i think we can all agree that empires was the worst but arabian nights was awesome, just because of shaharazhad i don't even remember how to spell that one.

Homelands kinda sucked too.

There was a Shaharazad in my Type 4 deck, but we took it out after playing it once.

Moxes, Time Walk, Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Library of Alexandria, Berserk, and sorta Timetwister are all used in type 1 still, and are worth major bank if you held on to them.

Homelands kinda sucked too.

Understatement of the year :P

I'd still draft homelands over AAC any day of the week though, what a fucking boring format we have right now.

Currently lending out a shitton of stuff to friends that are going to a Vestal, NY tournament this weekend. I couldn't go because I have to work :( If my shit gets jacked I'm losing:

4x B. Mire

4x P. Delta

4x Exploration

4x Tarmogoyf

2x Trop Island

2x Savannah

2x Thoughtseize

1x Complete MonoW Stax Deck (including but not limited to 4x Mox Diamond, 4x Crucible of Worlds, 1x Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, 4x City of Traitors, etc.)

Yeah... there was a period of about 3 months where I would get my weekly $100/week highschooler paycheck, and blow it all on eBay goodies. I don't particularly regret it, but DAMN I could have had some nice jawns!

Necro is still goodish.

Jeep I would think that your stuff probably isn't worth that much unless you're holding out on us here. Most of those cards you posted are $1 cards unless you can find someone dumb to unload them on. If you have stuff back from Alpha, Beta, Unlimited or Legends and Arabian Nights it would definitely be worthwhile. Also stuff like Urza's Block can be worth a little bit.

Although there are a lot of cards there so you never know. Absolute worst case you can always bulk sell them to a dealer

I've got tons and tons of cards dating back to Alpha/Beta, Alliances, Mirage, Arabian Nights, Fallen Empires, the Dark, Ice Age, etc. Don't think many are rare or you know, sought after, but I have a fairly extensive collection. I just pulled a bunch out at random to take pictures of (they had plastic slip covers on them, that's why).