Advice for Opening a Clothing Store

Quote:

create your own label

--- Original message by edwin on Jan 11, 2006 12:07 AM

nah he`s gotta do something local. whats montreal famous for? a film festival right? Hey Cash Homey - make a movie that the owners of the brands you wanna stock like, then do a collab tee or two and they might let you have some of their stuff in your shop. simple, right?

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i said i wanted "constructive" comments. not someone whining about how he thinks his favorite brands are being appropriated. all you had to say is those labels would not give me accounts because they are not interested in that kind of exposure. period. everything else you said was just a way of affirming to everyone and yourself that you're "down" and that everyone else isn't as down as you are.

oh, and sorry but you didn't hear shit.

let's say you wanted to open up a specialty record shop, what would you stock? the one or two groups you've followed since day one? because that's the attitude you're taking, and if so, you have zero business sense and that would be a pretty pathetic record store. you would probably:

A) carry the stuff you like

B) be on the lookout for new up and coming stuff, similar to the stuff you like

C) carry the stuff you like that you think will do sell

that approach is acceptable with music, why should it be any different with clothes? just because i open a store, doesn't mean i have to stock britney spears cause it sells the most. i can still find shit for my target niche that i like and think will sell. it's called business, and if you don't like it, then don't spend money being materialistic.

and by the way, just because a fringe community on the internet gives an obscure japanese brand some props, doesn't make it "so hot right now". nishiyama could give me his shit for free but it doesn't mean i'd sell any of it here. so i'm not in it for the money, which you are so convinced. i basically want to open up a shop that i personally would want to shop at.

oh, and as for the 50 cent comment. here's an interesting story. kool herc, the man credited as the founder of hiphop (if you don't know, now you know) played at a jam here this past summer. after his set, i had the chance to chat him up for a few minutes. i basically thanked him for everything he's done and said it was an honour to meet him. i also asked him what current music he's feeling these days. he said he doesn't listen to a lot of current music, but he did say he digs some stuff jay-z and 50 cent were putting out, which he also played in his set. this man is the founder of hip-hop, would you tell him he sucks because he thought some stuff 50 puts out is good? yet everything you "love" to wear was influenced by him and the movement he founded. also dre produces a lot of 50's shit, and if you don't like dre, then you don't know shit about hiphop or music, period. the david mccallum and leon haywood loops are some of the best hiphop music you will ever hear.

Reporter: "Write the check yet, Randy?"

Moss: "When you're rich you don't write checks."

Reporter: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?"

Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

Quote: nah he`s gotta do something local. whats montreal famous for? a film festival right? Hey Cash Homey - make a movie that the owners of the brands you wanna stock like, then do a collab tee or two and they might let you have some of their stuff in your shop. simple, right?

montreal is famous for it's film festival so long as sydney is famous for an ugly building, descendants of british criminals, and being extremely racist again aboriginals and "WOGS" or whatever term you use...

`if I dont like dre I dont know shit about hip hop music`?? huh?

well personally Im a hip hop novice but I deft have zero interest in Dr Dre..boring

usually Ill be listening to more Eric B/Rakim inspired East Coast stuff. you know, all the good shit. stuff defined by DefJam/Public Enemy/WuTang/KRS-1/Mobb Deep etc. Early `90s was the peak for this genre. If you havent checked out some of this stuff you should educate yourself.

Maybe you might like to try an online shop. There's no rent or refurbishing needed, only server fees and nice web design. It might sound lame but it's a safe start and you can test out the market. There isn't any exclusive online stores in Montreal or all of Canada that I can think of...which stands out.

You can always find some good bargains of the brands you mentioned on Y! auctions. Either way even at crazy markup's I'm sure there are willing dudes out there.

That's just what I think. I know you want to go all out and shit and that's fine. Good luck on it all dude!

cheers

^^^

Co-sign on the online shop. This takes away some of your risk and capital requirements with regards to rent, overhead, etc. You'll still have your inventory acquisition and carrying costs, but at least you won't have to sign a 5 year lease that you might have to renege on.

As your business grows, you can then perhaps consider opening a store concept.

Quote:

^^^

Co-sign on the online shop. This takes away some of your risk and capital requirements with regards to rent, overhead, etc. You'll still have your inventory acquisition and carrying costs, but at least you won't have to sign a 5 year lease that you might have to renege on.

As your business grows, you can then perhaps consider opening a store concept.

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Jan 11, 2006 04:27 AM

splitting the risk also means splitting the profits remember that

I think it's do-able - you will just have to set your sites a bit lower re: brands you stock and make sure it's not all super expensive ... tee's, hats etc at a decent price will get people into the store

Sponsor some events around the town, maybe host some art openings to get cred/known ...

There must be loads of Canadian designers looking for stockists and there are people on this board (Jay Allen etc) who maybe keen to get out there as well

Good luck

If you think brands mean everything, (so your business is based on brands in some kind of way) you should get interested in them not only in term of business impact but also in term of philosophy an positioning.

Brands have to be compatible (culture, scene, pricing etc...) if you want to get to work with them and if you want to give your store a strong image.

Prior to any negociation, any company will ask you about the other brands you're going to carry to see if you are able to sell their stuff in an apropriate way. Even if you could have a Dior account, most People looking for DH would never go in a streetwear shop to find it (unless you're big like Colette in Paris with each kind of wear its own area)

If you think brands mean everything, (so your business is based on brands in some kind of way) you should get interested in them not only in term of business impact but also in term of philosophy an positioning.

Brands have to be compatible (culture, scene, pricing etc...) if you want to get to work with them and if you want to give your store a strong image.

Prior to any negociation, any company will ask you about the other brands you're going to carry to see if you are able to sell their stuff in an apropriate way. Even if you could have a Dior account, most People looking for DH would never go in a streetwear shop to find it (unless you're big like Colette in Paris with each kind of wear its own area)

I agree with an online shop, though. It'd be easier to start and run. It'd take less money. You could sell to anyone in the world with proper advertising, you could even advertise on the bottom of this webpage if you wanted.

You'd also be able to keep your day job until it got up and running.

Thanks for informative comments guys! (most of you anyways) It was always my intention of having a strong online prescence, I think that's what would give me a competitive advantage. There aren't really any good online stores selling upscale streetwear for North America unless you order from Asian or European sites. I know some guys that started an online site selling dj equipment with 5k each. they now have storefronts in new york and hollywood and have now even spun off a clothing line and a record label, so i believe the potential is definitely there.

That being said, most people have already stated there's no way I would be able to secure any accounts from the "established" streetwear labels, then what chance would i have getting inventory for an online store? The guys at NDG once told me they're not interested in selling online because the experience of going into the store was too "valuable", whatever that means. i'm all about stocking the up and coming stuff, but i am looking for stuff slightly more upscale yet urban, not just be a digitalgravel clone (no offense to dg, they're def doing their thing). also, instead of an online store, wouldn't it be a better idea just to start an ebay store? ebay gets 1000x more traffic than any clothing site could.

only last thing, as far i know, most people would have no problem rocking an APC button up with some DH jeans and boots and maybe a military nbhd jacket or an NDG long coat. NDG's new line seems more DH than Supreme anyways. am i way off base with that? although i can understand DH does not want to be sitting on the shelves next to a purple and pink "shark" hoody.

Hi, first and foremost I like to give you props for attempting to do something for yourself instead of the 9-5. Life is short and make the best of it, cuz tomorrow is not promised.

In the meantime just do some research and so forth, but don't let any of these people destroy your dreams before you get started. Keep a positive outlook and keep your head up

Peace

Quote: YO CASH HOMEY

you asked for advice and criticism, if you can't take it don't fucking ask for it and then start crying about it.

also, 50 cent puts out terrible music.

Most people have critized my idea but have given concrete reasons why, whether from a financial, marketing or operational feasibility standpoint. I love hearing that stuff, because it's useful and really helps put things in perspective, simply because I have no exprience in the industry. For the most part, I've been hearing really great ideas and comments.

It's different when someone comes along and says you're not cool enough to stock this brand or you have no right to stock that brand. That isn't "constructive criticism", it's someone taking a holier than thou attitude and trying to prove how cool they are. All I did was list a bunch of brands I liked and would like to carry in my store regardless of whether I will be able to or not.

As for music, I'm not going to argue the merits of one artist versus another, because music, like clothing, is subjective. My point in bringing up 50 cent was just to illustrate that I too once had snobby attitude about 'art', and wouldn't be caught dead listening to someone like 50 Cent or going in a GAP store. I would like to think as you mature, you realize life isn't worth obsessing over trivial things like that, otherwise you become just as narrow-minded as the "establishment" you're trying to run away from in the first place. If you like it, who cares? I'm not gonna tell people not to listen to hiphop because they haven't hung out the founders of hiphop, or gone down to new york every year to attend the rocksteady crew anniversary since they were 16 or because my record collection is worth more than most people's cars etc... I could very well do that and talk circles around you about hiphop and tell you you have no right to listen to hiphop because you know nothing of the culture, but what's the point? How is that going to help anyone who wants to start their own hiphop label?

It's also ironic that someone would jock mobb deep and hate on 50 and dre, even though mobb deep are now with g-unit, who are owned by, you guessed it, 50 and dre. Incidentally, if anyone here collects soul/funk records, hit me up, I'm always willing to trade

good thing you're trying to do something with your life!

i don't have any experience with this so won't give you useless comments about how to start your store but i'd like to say that dior homme is not as you said able to really blend in with the rest of your desired brands. dior is in a different league in terms of quality of the tailoring, fabrics ( at least used to be, a/w 05/9 s/s 06 were less)and just the general look and feeling of the brand. if you look at the prices then the really good dior pieces are way more expensive then any other brand you'd want to stock. also i don't think there would be a market for it, because of the price and most of the times not exactly mainstream pieces (glitter jeans eg). and ofcourse even if you had al those things worked out you would never be able to stock it.

but anyway just wanted to say this, i wish you all the best and i hope you'll be able to pull it off!

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

ftp errors....

hey, i don't think milspex was being a jerk, he was just explaining his reasoning and letting you know what the companies would think about it/you.

most of the labels will scoff at people trying to stock their shit. they will think that you just want to make money off of them and get their clothing cheap for yourself. that is what i assume an established company would think everytime they get a request to stock merchandise. if that's how they want to roll so be it. find a company that's gracious for your help spreading their brand.

50 cent still sucks. i give him props for signing a real hip hop act, not a dance pop music group like 50 cent is.

just go to china and become a buddhist monk. i assure you youll be much happier. and if your not gonna talk nice about dr. dre please dont talk about him at all. he didnt do anything to you. he just wants the world to be a more peaceful place.

Quote: The guys at NDG once told me they're not interested in selling online because the experience of going into the store was too "valuable", whatever that means.
This can mean one of two things (or both, I suppose):

1) Nom de Guerre, the retail outlet, is an extension of the vision of the brand, a fashion object unto itself, perhaps even an artistic statement. Having Nom de Guerre available online would diminish the purity of the store, the brand, and the clothing's statement.

2) Nom de Guerre, the retail outlet, is extremely valuable because of the cachet built up around it. It is hyped. It is hot. Everyone wants to go there but only people in NYC or going to NYC can. Thus, the clothing is more valuable. Thus, Nom de Guerre makes more money. Thus, their exclusivity is extremely valuable.

Again, this is sort of just an extension of what I said before... and in my opinion, the truth probably lies between my two scenarios. Do I think Nom de Guerre (or any other hyper-exclusive brand) exist solely to make their creators millions? No. That said, do I think the NdG folk are stupid and don't realize that they can make a lot of money along with making artistic and fashionable clothing and will do everything possible to protect that opportunity? No. They know what they're doing.

In today's era of broadband Internet, 24/7 news, instant information and global access, "exclusivity" is being greatly diminished. Nothing's exclusive anymore. That's why people who manage to create a truly exclusive product will be wildly successful -- it flies in the face of what today's society and culture is all about (access).

With all that said, I love Nom de Guerre's clothing and will pay the money for it because I think it's very well-designed. I think in this world of fashion where people equate harder to get = cooler, it's important to remember to wear what you like because YOU like it.

The Alchemist Page 84

"Why do they make things so complicated?" He asked the Englishman one night. The boy had noticed that the Englishman was irritable, and missed his books.

"So that those who have the responsibility for understanding can understand", he said. "Imagine if everyone went around transforming lead into gold. Gold would lose its value".

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

After reading through all the comments, a few things have become apparent:

1) Realistically I will not be able to carry the brands I want, unless I have the proper connections

2) The market is saturated, and adopting the "first to market" expansion model is the best strategy to stay afloat.

3) It will take a minimum of $150K to start-up

4) Most people agree that starting with an online store and stocking less high profile brands is a good start

5) Most people here are positive and wish others the best of luck

I am still gonna toy around with the idea of a storefront, but this gives me a lot more to work with than i had even a few days ago.

I also wanted to let you guys know, that if I do eventually start an online store, I'll try to do something special for everyone that has taken the time to write a relevant response up til now. I'm saving screenshots so I'll know who you are and we'll work something out icon_smile_wink.gif.

one last thing, i've quickly jotted down some potential names off the top of my head, each has some sort of special meaning behind it that i won't delve into now, do any of these sound appealing?

narada

squares & circle

chalk

carte

the document

brick & mortar

ninetwofive

blueprint

tropje

vaykay

dyeus

the incredible adventures of alex van horneicon_smile_wink.gif

i would like to see an online store from you, simply because i'm no where near canada, hah. as for starting up and junk, i hope it goes far, i wish you the best of luck.

as for names.. very interesting ideas. personally i like the name chalk. but i bet you could come up with better names. but build your empire first then give her a title.

Straight Cash Homey: Sorry to go off topic but yeah I heard 50 Cent rap on some of the new Mobb Deep stuff and it made me shudder. Im a fan of Mobb Deep circa early 1990s. 50 Cent is weak. I guess Mobb Deep are getting near retirement age so signed with `G-Unit` to get some cash or something. hey, who knows, maybe they`ll make 50 cent`s outfit half credible.

And as for the `you just hate 50 cent coz hes mainstream` argument that goes out the window when you find out I listen to Jay-Z, Fabolous, Kanye West and even Omarion just as much as KMD, Digital Underground or Big L...just get over it I think 50 Cent puts out shit music and like you said, each to their own. Remember the founder of hip hop is probably 60 years old and senile, so you cant trust everything he says! but hey if you like 50 cent good for you, enjoy.

Edited by MilSpex on Jan 11, 2006 at 08:39 PM

I think those names for the store is good and I also like Chalk, but personally I think you can come up with something better for sure. And yes eBay is good and lots of traffic but when it comes to the image of your store, it's a different story.

However if you do decide in the end to set up an online store or even do something on eBay, gimme a yell. I'll definitely check it out to see how it goes.