Advice for Opening a Clothing Store

Milspex, you're a putz. I can't believe anyone out there takes the bullshit that is spit out from TET seriously. But here you go, living proof! Hey homie regardless of what he says, he's in this game to make money and guess what? TET is making money out of fanboys like you. This is clothing homie, all your idols out there are laughing at you behind your back at how serious y'all take fabric. Look fly, but get some perspective bro.

Straight money: Forget having zero connects. If you can't figure out how these stores make money and stay afloat with what they sell then you're not ready to even dream about opening a shop. Figure it out first and THEN take some baby steps. And don't let fanboys like Milspex raz you.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Straight cash homey

I think you should do bit of market research on what kind of costumers you want to target how much they will wanna spend and what the market is like in Montreal. I know nothing about Montreal and wouldn't know what the fashion scene is going on. If you decide to work within retail than you better prepare for the mundane jobs. Gotta realize you're not gonna get 80 customers a day sometimes depending on people's financial situation you might get 10 or 20 customers a day. My mate owns a Independant streetwear store which I sometimes help and it's not always fun n game. The only way to keep you sane is interacting with customers and suppliers.

If you're seriously thinking of openning shop just see how the retail market is, maybe asked your local stores how they've been; are the stores having a lot of SALES (not a gd sign). Just at the moment the British retail industry is pretty slow and not looking too rosie. It's pretty shit to be honest. If you're thinking of making $$$ than plan ahead and think when you'll breakeven, make profit and decide where to expand.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but that's my view looking at the british market, but if it's different with the Canadian retail world then go for it look for you niche market.

Quote:

FYI -

A. GOODFOOT IN MONTREAL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE

B. RANSOM IS OPENING IN MONTREAL IN 2006

GOODFOOT / RANSOM / NOMAD - have most of the brands you are after. Why not try something new? Think of a new route to go? Why jock other peoples business , you will not be able to do it like those guys.

--- Original message by msg on Jan 15, 2006 09:18 PM

msg - where did you hear that Ransom is opening in Montreal? from what i hear, goodfoot are known to 'squeeze' out the competition.

as for the brands, i wasn't trying to jock anyone's business, in fact quite the opposite, i realized no one was doing the upscale streetwear game in montreal, so i saw an opportunity to be one of the first and only players. if there were already a bunch of similar stores here, then opening a shop never would've even crossed my mind. i just listed a couple of brands to give everyone an idea of the type of stuff i would like to stock, of course i understand getting access to those brands is a whole different issue.

anyways, i said from the beginning that i respect what Union NY is doing. it's a small, simple looking shop with dope gear. same with ndg, although the atmosphere is slightly more pretentious, even if the people are mad cool.

and from what i've seen, nomad is looking real nice too. that would be the kind of vibe i'm going for, because it's a little more upscale.

i respect supreme and enjoy their gear, but i wouldn't want to have that 'skate shop' vibe. i doubt 14 yr old french skater kids in montreal are eager to drop 2 bills for a pair of selvege denim and unlike new york, montreal doesn't have an abundance of japanese tourists. besides, having a 'skate shop' atmosphere wouldn't really make it stand out from the dozens of other skate shops in montreal and kids would just be confused why i don't carry volcom.

stores like union, odin, ndg and nomad, although they may be heavily influenced by skate culture, they don't have that 'skate shop' vibe, they just seem like boutiques. especially when they're shilling stuff like $500 prps jeans or doc marten boots and skinny ass trenchcoats.

anyways, i was just trying to paint a picture by throwing out some brands and stores so people could get a better idea where i'm coming from. i do realize that a lot of the brands i mentioned wouldn't go together, but i'm not an idiot, i wouldn't have a store that looks like a complete train wreck. i still maintain DH, NDG, APC, NBHD, Rogan could all work very well together (and yes i understand DH does not want to associated with those brands)

i'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life, so keep the comments rolling, they're much appreciated.

Reporter: "Write the check yet, Randy?"

Moss: "When you're rich you don't write checks."

Reporter: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?"

Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

Quote:

Milspex, you're a putz. I can't believe anyone out there takes the bullshit that is spit out from TET seriously. But here you go, living proof! Hey homie regardless of what he says, he's in this game to make money and guess what? TET is making money out of fanboys like you. This is clothing homie, all your idols out there are laughing at you behind your back at how serious y'all take fabric. Look fly, but get some perspective bro.

Straight money: Forget having zero connects. If you can't figure out how these stores make money and stay afloat with what they sell then you're not ready to even dream about opening a shop. Figure it out first and THEN take some baby steps. And don't let fanboys like Milspex raz you.

--- Original message by Toronthoe on Jan 31, 2006 01:19 AM

So why is what TET spits so much `bullshit`? exactly where are you comin from with this? As a fan of 40% and W)Taps for goin on 8 years I know this guy just does his own thing. If he wanted to take things large like Nigo is doin dont you think he woulda done it by now? His clothes are still covertly branded and only people who know their shit would recognize them. Theyre only sold in a handful of stores worldwide by people that he trusts so why would he want to let StraightCash sell the clothes.?

Anyways have you met him? I havent yet but I met his best friend that ran the old Philosophy store and that guy was so layed back it was rediculous. ITs true that store wasnt really set up to sell stuff but more as an experience. Ive also talked to a couple of people in the industry that know TET (and yeah I speak Japanese) that I met here in Japan and they say TET doesnt think like normal people. If he`s so concerned with making money why does he work out of a handmade office and take the subway to work?

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Feb 1, 2006 at 04:18 AM

Edited by MilSpex on Feb 1, 2006 at 04:19 AM

Hey, i'm in Toronto and ive also considered opening my own stores.

Although im more knowledgable on the sneaker tip, i have a growing interest in the streetwear scene and the brands u have mentioned.

I see the point that all of the brands u want are highly exclusive, meaning that u will not likely get them until u have a made a name for yourself.

That being said, theres other up and coming (the hundreds, mighty healthy) or even midrange brands (stussy, recon) that you can probably acquire easier than , let's say Supreme or NDG.

A online storefront would work, but the problem of getting brands would be even more difficult IMO. Esp if its an ebay store, that will take away its "street" cred, and most likely leave u on a resellers tip, since u wont get the stock u want direct at wholesale prices.

Also i have a feeling that you're being too business-oriented, when other cats in the industry just made it on artistic vision.. You CAN overanalyze a business, and look at all the niche markets, and come up with marketing plans and budgets, but that wont gaurantee success.

Real recongize real

straightcash-

i've probably said this before, but having lived in montreal for a few years i don't think its ready for the brands you're trying to stock.

although DH is a totally different aesthetic and philosophy from something like supreme, they both carry an exclusivity, albeit for different reasons.

Montreal is all about people recognizing your labels (from what i've seen). I know you're not planning on carrying this, but as an example, the one store that I saw that carried lvc in montreal had a pair in there for months, no one was buying even on sale.

its cause they look just like a pair of levi's, no big labels proclaiming the cost of the jean.

stuff like Acne, as hip as it is, is being dropped from a few stores I know because it didnt'sell there, nor did APC, both beautiful, well made jeans with no discernible labels.

That said, brands like W)taps that are rare even on superfuture I doubt very much are going to get the kind of appreciation they deserve in Montreal.

Something like neighborhood, though, might work out due to it's recognizable "N".

Holt Renfrew is getting rid of all it's PRPS cause they didn't sell, and Simon's has been holding on to their Nudie's for months, they've probably sold all of 2 pairs. Plus, Holt Renfrew has JUST starting selling DH, they have 2 items I believe.

In any case, I think a good way to start off would be to take a similar approach to Reborn, in Old Montreal or Three Monkeys, in Cours Mont-Royal. Both emphasize their support on local design talent, and specialize in stocking up and coming brands. This is slowly building their reputation, and the transformation is pretty quick. Reborn is going to be stocking the Dunny toy, which is kind of in the same vein as your line-up, and that could be their foot in the door to get brands that you may be after.

In any case, keep us posted, maybe i'll try and get a job at your store when my degree turns out to be worth toilet paper. icon_smile_wink.gif

nairb49

I didn't read all those posts so I hope I'm not repeating anything. I started my first shop with $3k cash and a bunch of credit cards. I got lucky and did well enough to pay off that shit quick. I was also in a small town with zero competition and a college with 50k kids. Now I am in Boston and am just making enough to survive and I have a very popular shop. I also work 80 hours a week and don't make nearly what you are making in your cube. Why don't you just get a hobby, keep the 60k and retire early?