Number (N)ine F/W 09.10 Paris

inaya

hrm, my perspective's a bit different. The things he has been riffing off during that Cash/Cobain 'trilogy' culminated WITH the Portland collection imo, which seemed to me as some kind of symbolism for a 'return home' and overall softer presentation, which was already there in s/s 08 as a descent from the shoot em up aggressiveness of the previous few.

S/S 09 started taking things in a different, more hallucinogenic direction. Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's moving on to different territories for inspiration, but I think the label's in somewhat of a transitional phase right now and maybe he is at a loss for which way to take it. This flows w/ Brian Jones show, but I do see some confusion going on...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hrm, my perspective's a bit different. The things he has been riffing off during that Cash/Cobain 'trilogy' culminated WITH the Portland collection imo, which seemed to me as some kind of symbolism for a 'return home' and overall softer presentation, which was already there in s/s 08 as a descent from the shoot em up aggressiveness of the previous few.

S/S 09 started taking things in a different, more hallucinogenic direction. Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's moving on to different territories for inspiration, but I think the label's in somewhat of a transitional phase right now and maybe he is at a loss for which way to take it. This flows w/ Brian Jones show, but I do see some confusion going on...

Yeah, there's definitely some confusion....Portland seemed to come out of nowhere.....the only small remnants of that collection that you can find in this one are the shearling jackets.

I think he'll continue to surprise people for many years to come....and it's better to be surprised than disappointed.

I could see myself changing the high-knee socks and shoes with combat boots/equstrian boots, removing the head dress, and changing the frilly chiffon shirts and gloves to simple shirts and dark brown gloves to give it a "cloak"-ish / military vibe.

^^^

good call on that

instantly more masculine, less theatrical and more 'your own' look

dont get why most people still wear their designer clothes within the context of the presented theme...man go all out, reinterpret and twist that shit mayne. Brand synergy is 5 minutes ago, now it's all about brand/item dissonance for me

Review by Tim Blanks at men.style.com....

In short: The collection was inspired by a hotel room in Alaska.

Miyashita is really confusing...

January 22, 2009

The worn layers of brocade and lace looked Shakespearean to some in the audience. Others nursed images of exhausted conquistadores hauling themselves out of the surf on the shores of the Yucatán. Well, think again, you wild-eyed dreamers. The extraordinary detailing in Takahiro Miyashita's Fall 2009 offering was inspired by the curtains, carpets, and fixings of a hotel room in Alaska, where the designer found himself trapped during one of his road trips. (The collection was called "A Closed Feeling," so one assumes the room was on the small side.) The gold brocade? A sofa. The ornate buttons? Plucked off that sofa. The ruching? Curtains, obviously. The tassels? A riff on a curtain tieback. You could play this game on and on. Even the fur in the collection was a transmutation of the animals stuffed and mounted in Miyashita's hotel room. And does that mean the netting concealing the faces of the models could be construed as a metaphor for the anonymity of hotel life?

The immaculate, obsessive execution of Miyashita's clothes is always enthralling, and the designer's lifelong passion for punk and grunge balanced the fustiness of his inspiration (there was the odd tang of mosh pit). And it was great to see the models carrying books rather than bags. But why did the invitation feature a great big ice-cream sundae? "Ask my brain," whispered the designer. "I don't know."

— Tim Blanks

Interesting to read the thought process behind it, it fits within his tortured loner/highwayman canon after all.

lol Taka has used that ask my brain response in another interview. This guy knows how to answer PR questions well, and understands the power of elusiveness. A natural.

i'll keep it short:

this is really great,

but i am saddened by the fact that i will probably not be able to pick any of it up for a number of reasons that really have nothing to do with how awesome this is.

a personal favorite for sure. (though i've yet to see a whole bunch of stuff that i am anticipating)

The details on everything is pretty fantastic, the floral in some of the jackets is very Art Nouveau but has this odd sort of unnaturally gothic tinge to it. That sentence sounded really loaded, but damn, this collection looks even more amazing every time I browse these pictures.

I like bits and pieces from this collection but am really enamored with the footwear. Any details on the boots, price, brand (if not his own), pics?

Thanks

Oh they're his own...no doubt about it....as far as price goes, you're looking at around $850-$1100 for the boots...maybe $600-700 for the lace up leather shoes...and probably around $400-$500 for the slips.....hard to say with any certainty at this time, but that's been the general range of his past collections.

I seriously want one of those masks. Means I need to find a hat and a wardrobe to wear it with, but still. I love masks.

bolded part is not a sufficient excuse for stopping you from copping the mask. Wear it with your everyday wardrobe, with your AA, your Rick, your whatever. fuck the system, fuck the man. isn't that what Number (N)ine is all about anyway

bolded part is not a sufficient excuse for stopping you from copping the mask. Wear it with your everyday wardrobe, with your AA, your Rick, your whatever. fuck the system, fuck the man. isn't that what Number (N)ine is all about anyway

I'm pretty sure N(N) is about selling $900 jackets to rich Japanese teenagers.