Gabriel Urist - Non-Niketalk - Question / Comment

englandmj7

Ive purchased mini dunk toys and a gabreil urist charm and can honestly say they are 100% the same, but still I cant knock the man for what he's doing , I kinda which I thought of it first, but hey ENGLANDMJ7, Im interested in your work and would like to order several pieces from you, I respect your honesty and I would seriously be interested in purchasing some pieces from you, let me know if its okay to contact you, thanks PEACE....

there is nothing wrong with what urist is doing. if he doesnt want to tell the whole truth, then thats on him.

in that case, rather then complain about it on a message board, here is what i suggest you do. since we live in a capitalist economy, why not just make the same exact toys he is making and sell them for half the price? i mean, the arguement here is, $300 for a metal shoe on a chain... is it because kids are buying a hyped "URIST piece" or do they really just want a metal nike on ther neck?

why dont you make your own and find out. just be honest about what you're doing. but i'll tell you the truth, ive seen his work standing right next to those toys in many stores, in the same display case. and apparently... nobody cares about the resemblence. just like nobody cares that there is no real difference from an AF1 and a BAPE STA. marketing is fucking powerful.

btw, he isnt the first one do do something like this. go to a jewelery booth in any indoor swap meet. the incredible part is how he sold it to respected botiques. cant knock that.

so I'm considering buying the rights for this 80's company called SANG. if you don't know what Sang is, its just a really cheap knock off of Air Jordan from back in the day.... same fucking shoes just no swoosh and wing logo (replaced by an arrow and some other nonsense). I'm going to sell it for double the retail of real Jordans cause its from the 80s and ITS COOL. face it, fake is better then the real thing. and todays "cool guy" streetwear proves it.

has Bathing Ape registered itself as a Religion yet?

hell.... id rather have had one made myself but I couldnt find a jeweller who said they would put the cotton laces in.... plus if i'd have had it made for me id have had a better chain on it.

of course anyone is gonna by the same thing @ half the price. are you stupid?

• 4 months later...

whoever wrote this has no idea what goes into the jewelry business... no need to reply to this since i only signed up to write this note.

gabriel urist needs to charge 300 for his stuff because if you know anything about selling your stuff - most stores especiall in ny - have a 2.1 mark-up. i wouldn't be surprised if nom de guerre had a higher mark-up - so out of the 300 - lets just say he's pocketing 140.

now with the 140 - he has to pay for his studio overhead, website maintenance, any photographer to showcase his stuff, production costs such as casting, mold making, polishing/finishing - lets say all that is costing him 60

now he's left with like 80 per piece - maybe above this he has to pay whoever is in charge of his pr - lets say the break down comes to $5 a piece

lets say the silver is worth $15 in the piece - he's left with give or take 60 per piece. how much is his time worth? i have no idea.

i don't know him and have no knowledge on how much $$ he's making per piece - but if you want to, go ahead and cast one piece in your kitchen and make it for yourself but you can't criticize other people who are working their asses off to get something going for themselves - this guy is making a living out of this and there's a lot more that goes into a jewelry business.

so don't talk shit about something you have no idea about.

Quote:

^^ Of course there are mini-models you bloody fucking tampon, thats the purpose of the whole post!!!!! And wow, you know a talentless hack of a "jeweler"............asshole

Example: My Air Max 1 toy by "Sneaks for Freaks" (I also have 95s, Jordans, NBs, and every other exact fucking toy that Urist makes in metal, go figure)

jrz1h4.jpg

Urist's Charm:

jrz2vk.jpg

Now instead of being a condescending dick head please explain this: why is it that every part that is painted on the toy shoe (i.e. the "Nike Air" written on the tongue) is not on Urist's model, but every engraved part is? Because painted parts wouldn't fucking show up if you casted the shoe.......no shit.....again, they are the same size, exactly the same engraved "embroidery" lines, same laces, everything.......so instead of being an absolute fuckface and using "I know him personally" as an uneducated idiotic attempt at a defense present some real facts.......

Edited by englandmj7 on Jan 6, 2006 at 05:59 PM

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Jan 6, 2006 12:13 AM

Bwahahahaha

englandmj7, we're gonna have to talk. I think a Chuck Taylor would look awesome. icon_smile.gif

What's up guys. I have gotten alot of inquiries about these pieces since this post, heh heh. Unfortunately, I used to do all my work in my old University's jewelry lab in L.A. Since my job transferred me up to Silicon Valley last month, I am unable to make anything.

I still have several custom pieces available for sale; keep in mind, however, that they are more "Chrome Hearts" type stuff, and not sneakers......sorry icon_smile_sad.gif