Gabriel Urist - Non-Niketalk - Question / Comment

englandmj7

I know that this is not Niketalk, and normally I wouldnt bring this up, but I thought that people on here may know something. I was looking at some of this idiots work (Gabriel Urist) on his website for shits and giggles, because it has been in so many goddamn magazines lately, god knows why, and noticed that his shoes are exactly to scale, etc. of the miniature "Sneaks for Freaks" toys that they sell at Kid Robot, E-bay, etc. What the fuck?

This guy is selling these things to idiot kids for $300 a pop (p.s. silver costs $8 an ounce, and these things way about 2 oz., you do the math) and all he is doing is casting these toys (for people who dont know, the majority of metal casting is done using wax models of the desired object, plastic is a decent substitute, therefore you can throw a piece of plastic in a silicon mold and cast it, all within 30 minutes. Anyways, my point is, is this shit legal? Either way, all you people who bought one of these needs a kick in the balls for getting ripped the hell off............

^^ Just out of curiosity, how do you know?

Like I said, as someone who has a fair bit of experience in making jewelry, they are exactly like the toys, every line matches perfectly and they are 100% to scale with the toys...how the hell do you explain that?

I tried to e-mail Urist through his website .. I don't think he even read the e-mail before he responded. Or maybe someone who runs his site doesn't exactly know English very well.

I simply asked if any stores in NYC carried any of his work cause I wanted to check it out in person, and he replies with prices. What the hell?

The kid with the most knoweldge

Will touch and attain top dollas

^^ You obviously missed the entire point of this post and clearly do not know much about jewelry making yourself. I make jewelry, as a matter of fact, I make lots of it. As I explained earlier in this post to those who most likely do not know how jewelry is made, when there are no stones to be set or insanely intricate designs, the piece is either poured into a pre-fabricated and shaped metal cylinder, or is simply designed in wax and CASTED in an oven, once the wax melts you heat silver/gold in a crucible and spin it to ensure that the metal pours into the shaped hole that the melted wax left; you can also use plastic instead of wax.....hint hint.

Again, I took one of these "toys" and am simply going to cast it, yes, it is that simple. I have casted all kinds of toys. I have a silver Bearbrick, etc. and I simply took the toy and casted it, making a perfect rendition of it 100% accuracy and scale. So, without knowing Mr. Urist yourself you have no basis artistically or personally to be so sure that I am wrong. All I am saying is that anyone who knows how to make jewelry, myself included, could cast one of these fucking toys in 15 minutes and no one would be able to tell the difference between mine and his. I am going to cast one next week, post it, and maybe you can tell me why my one is EXACTLY the same as his and I made it out of a feckin' toy!!!!! Which leads me to believe that he does the same.........

Quote:

^^ You obviously missed the entire point of this post and clearly do not know much about jewelry making yourself. I make jewelry, as a matter of fact, I make lots of it. As I explained earlier in this post to those who most likely do not know how jewelry is made, when there are no stones to be set or insanely intricate designs, the piece is either poured into a pre-fabricated and shaped metal cylinder, or is simply designed in wax and CASTED in an oven, once the wax melts you heat silver/gold in a crucible and spin it to ensure that the metal pours into the shaped hole that the melted wax left; you can also use plastic instead of wax.....hint hint.

Again, I took one of these "toys" and am simply going to cast it, yes, it is that simple. I have casted all kinds of toys. I have a silver Bearbrick, etc. and I simply took the toy and casted it, making a perfect rendition of it 100% accuracy and scale. So, without knowing Mr. Urist yourself you have no basis artistically or personally to be so sure that I am wrong. All I am saying is that anyone who knows how to make jewelry, myself included, could cast one of these fucking toys in 15 minutes and no one would be able to tell the difference between mine and his. I am going to cast one next week, post it, and maybe you can tell me why my one is EXACTLY the same as his and I made it out of a feckin' toy!!!!! Which leads me to believe that he does the same.........

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Jan 4, 2006 06:45 PM

you got picture of your toys? i want to see them, in jewelry model type. silver bearbrick sounds good.... post picture if you please. icon_smile.gif

?

Quote:

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Jan 4, 2006 06:45 PM

Wow a 400% SILVER bearbrick would be pretty fucking awesome. I would pay you for that + $ for the effort.

^^ Of course there are mini-models you bloody fucking tampon, thats the purpose of the whole post!!!!! And wow, you know a talentless hack of a "jeweler"............asshole

Example: My Air Max 1 toy by "Sneaks for Freaks" (I also have 95s, Jordans, NBs, and every other exact fucking toy that Urist makes in metal, go figure)

jrz1h4.jpg

Urist's Charm:

jrz2vk.jpg

Now instead of being a condescending dick head please explain this: why is it that every part that is painted on the toy shoe (i.e. the "Nike Air" written on the tongue) is not on Urist's model, but every engraved part is? Because painted parts wouldn't fucking show up if you casted the shoe.......no shit.....again, they are the same size, exactly the same engraved "embroidery" lines, same laces, everything.......so instead of being an absolute fuckface and using "I know him personally" as an uneducated idiotic attempt at a defense present some real facts.......

Edited by englandmj7 on Jan 6, 2006 at 05:59 PM

^^ Yep

And anyone that wants to argue that "there is only one way to make an Air Max 1 and the toy would obviously look like the pendant" can't deny that things like the angle of plastic around the inside ankle part of the shoe being exactly the same on both is pretty strange; wouldn't you think that if Mr. Urist spent months supposedly "creating" his mini shoes that he would at least have made a rounded edge like a real shoe has?

Edited by englandmj7 on Jan 6, 2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote: man, you are seriously ignorant aren't you?

you think there are air max's, and timberland mini models out there to mold

Guess I must be:

jsmyxy.jpg

jsmzar.jpg

jsmzci.jpg

jsmzic.jpg

jsmzk2.jpg

jsmzol.jpg

And why is it that the only Jordan he makes besides the four and one is the 8? Maybe because those are the only three Jordans they make these toys of!

The only one I give him credit for making himself is the Timberlands, because the piece he made of them looks like shit........do you know why perhaps? Because there is no toy of them for him to copy........

Edited by englandmj7 on Jan 6, 2006 at 05:57 PM

I'm gonna HAVE TO SAY that this kid has a perfectly valid argument. I see, like somebody has already stated, an UNCANNY resemblence to these toys. Angles, stitch marks, etc. If the guy is going something that anybody can do...big deal. He just happened to be the first to so it, and has gotten lucky with it. I dunno...I'm rambling. Peace.

yoo everything said so far.. very valid. if i read correctly, you said it woulda been different if he used diamonds.. cause it takes cuts to lay them in? im not a jeweler so forgive me if this isnt on hit..

put anyways.. after looking at his website, on his P-Rods and i believe dunk HIs i believe.. there is a diamond in-lay option...

me posting that is really pointless, cause no matter what, that shit is overpriced!

Quote: If the guy is going something that anybody can do...big deal

True, I have no gripe with that, and if he is indeed doing what I think he is, then that is great, I just don't think anyone has come up with a valid argument to the contrary and I just wanted to put it out there and discuss.

About the diamonds: setting a stone is something you learn in an intro to jewelry class, its not like he is doing any paving or anything else of the sort. In fact, when I first took jewelry in university, we were setting stones by the second month. I am not denying that this guy has some jewelry experience, I mean, he has made other stuff besides shoes, but being able to set a stone is no evidence of talent. Either way, its sort of off subject........

Edited by englandmj7 on Jan 6, 2006 at 10:38 PM