Clothing for The Great Outdoors

NYC stand up! What's getting you through this cruddy season?

I have a light goretex TNF shell (no idea what the model is, copped it last year as a replacement for my old Kitchatna) that got some much needed use today. Danners and bean boots have been seeing near daily usage since the Christmas blizzard. Thermals layered w/ uniqlo heat tech or flannels for the bad days, oxfords layers w/ shawl neck or crew neck sweaters, Filson-esque cruiser jacket from Supreme topping off nearly every day. J Press beanies to top things off and i just ordered some deer-skin gloves b/c my hands have been frigid as hell on weekends and commutes.

NYC stand up! What's getting you through this cruddy season?

I have a light goretex TNF shell (no idea what the model is, copped it last year as a replacement for my old Kitchatna) that got some much needed use today. Danners and bean boots have been seeing near daily usage since the Christmas blizzard. Thermals layered w/ uniqlo heat tech or flannels for the bad days, oxfords layers w/ shawl neck or crew neck sweaters, Filson-esque cruiser jacket from Supreme topping off nearly every day. J Press beanies to top things off and i just ordered some deer-skin gloves b/c my hands have been frigid as hell on weekends and commutes.

The every day uniform is:

NdG wool military cap with earflaps

EG Ripstop parka

Alpaca sweater

Either a thermal or a woven

Heattech

Heattech long johns

Timbs

secret weapon is this muffler i was given, fleece on the inside, that thick fisherman wool that repels water on the outside. wrap it around my face a couple of times and it ups my whole body temp.

secret weapon is this muffler i was given, fleece on the inside, that thick fisherman wool that repels water on the outside. wrap it around my face a couple of times and it ups my whole body temp.

That sounds bomb. I wish Uniqlo still had heattech long johns in stock b/c I just have one pair overpriced EMS and I could really use some more w/ the way the weather's been.

yea you lose around 30-40% of heat from exposed extremities.

but thats stuffs the bees knees. under armour baselayer, tech material running pullover, then fisherman wool sweater. i cancamp out w/out a tent in winter and if it gets wet, it still keeps me warm tiil i get dry. plus gots da steez

Seriously considering buying some Klättermusen shorts or 3/4 pants.

The name was dropped earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure if anyone bought it.

Looking at either the 'Nerthus' shorts or the 3/4 'Misty' pant.

Part of me wants to go all out and rock the wild short pant, but then, shorts are definitely more versatile so i don't always be "that guy"

Anyone personally handle the product? How is the sizing?

Strongly leaning towards the 3/4 pant. Gonna rock it like this:

19703484o2.jpg

edit: found the sizing off a japanese webstore

S <Waist 80cm / glide 31.5cm / Rise 31.5cm / Crotch 48.5cm>

M <Waist 85cm / glide 33cm / Rise 32.5cm / Crotch 50cm>

(not sure how わたり translates to 'glide')

edit 2: upon further inspection of some pics, i am pretty much sold on a black pair of the mistys

misty00.gif

damn i love all that klättermusen stuff!

havent handled their products, but i guess it will be really good quality wise: brand has been around for decades i think and seems like a outdoor staple.

this looks cool to:

KTM-39_L01j.jpg

will buy some of their stuff in the future i guess.

and vamp, def. get that misty short!!!

edit:

わたり means diameter as far as i know? might be wrong though...somebody better in jap help us out?

Any sources for Mt. Rainier Designs gear. High Standard and Present do not have the pieces I'm looking for. Also, general sizing guidelines?

Found these excellent Nature Facts bandannas poking around High Standard, at the source in the USA. Printed Image in Chico, CA.

S00518BANDNAT.jpg

http://www.printedimagechico.com/category/nature-facts-bandanas

^ Those are great

I'm trying to find a Japanese store/blog that carried klattermusen among other things like engineered garments nonnative mystery mountain bags stuff like that, kinda irie standard but more polished, I rorgot to bookmark but really want to find it .. any ideas?

edit: welp, found it ... http://www.silver-and-gold.com/

^ Those are great

I'm trying to find a Japanese store/blog that carried klattermusen among other things like engineered garments nonnative mystery mountain bags stuff like that, kinda irie standard but more polished, I rorgot to bookmark but really want to find it .. any ideas?

edit: welp, found it ... http://www.silver-and-gold.com/

yeah silver-and-gold always got a good mix of great brands

check out http://green-noah.net/ for some of the other mountaineering shit

165096_10150121062422813_207271742812_7718851_7943311_n.jpg

that #55 looks great.

Wore my stash jacket out in 10degree F weather with brutal winds and it kept me damn warm. Also snowboarded in it and it was prob too warm. The construction doesnt look like it will hold up on some serious wear and tear, but on a casual program it looks like it will do the job,

Love it.

Will post some pix once i upload.

After a month long wait, i am now proud owner of a Klattermusen Einride jacket, Charcol, Size L.

It cost a pretty penny, and we will have to see whether the dough turns out to be worth it.

In the meantime let me help you guys out a lil with a review.

First impressions:

-Really original and interesting design: From the short front/long back, to the slim cut that somehow also has extra room across the shoulders to allow for movement without tugging on the jacket, to the sort-of-weird-but- cool hat/hood thing. It is definitely unique.

That said, I think it could use a bit more of a "neck" between shoulder yoke and hood in order to suit those of us who have longer frames, and/or wear ball caps. I hate when I put a hooded jacket on and feel it tugging the whole thing up in a way that binds and is not comfortable. The einride doesnt do this too much, but the hood def works better sans hat

-The fabric has a really nice feel to it. Like, It is the slightest bit "waxy", but nothing like an oilskin. It's sorta strange at first when you put it on,prolly cause I am not used to technical outerwear being made out of cotton.

-Stitching on the body of the coat looks pretty bombproof BUT I am not 100 percent sold on the pockets, nor what they call the "reinforced" areas at the cuffs and hem. Seam taping looks pretty standard--it will probably start to peel after about 5 years like all seam taping does.

-Diagonal zipper works and looks fantastic, as do the pocket zippers. The left pocket is narrower, to accomodate the diagonal cut of the zipper, but it still allows for a hand in it.

Ultimately, this is a good jacket, but there is one VERY DISAPPOINTING factor I should have expected, but was somehow still surprised by: it is MADE IN CHINA.

"But, so is most other outdoor gear in this day and age" you reply! And you would be rite. Except I was under the impression that Klatermusen wasnt "most outdoor gear". I guess in that sense it is. Oh well.

so yeah man. My new jacket. Boom.

Any sources for Mt. Rainier Designs gear. High Standard and Present do not have the pieces I'm looking for. Also, general sizing guidelines?

Found these excellent Nature Facts bandannas poking around High Standard, at the source in the USA. Printed Image in Chico, CA.

Also, Super good looks on this. I love nature facts bandanas (tho actually calling them "nature facts bandanas" is new to me) I think I prolly have some old knots ones kicking around from younger days, but these are Class A!