Ebay selling tips

showbiz00ditc

I'm assuming some of you guys have done some ebay selling before, I know my dads gonna want me to flip a pair of his nikes when I get home for Christmas Holidays. So i was wondering if any of you guys have selling tips, and not the generic ones ebay gives, but tips that could only be gotten from trials and tribulations in the sellers market.

I know theres also seminars n stuff on this, any of you guys been?

Share some Knowledge.

thanks

ebay is my source of income. I've learned a few things. The most important thing is BE HONEST (though there are exceptions :)). The worst thing you can do is passing off a fake as a real or something dumb like that. You'll get negative feedback and you can get in trouble. The exceptions of course if is something like clothes, like a sweater, shirt or something is in superb condition it would be hard to tell if its used, then you can take the liberty to say its been worn a couple times or once (or maybe new if you still have the tags)..but if something is obviously worn out, like the material is worn out and your sneakers are creased to shit with beat up bottoms, dont' try to fool anyone.

Take as many clear pictures as possible and research and write down everything there is to know about what you're selling.

The best way to take a picture is to use a neutral backdrop. Just buy a yard or two of plain white and plain black fabric and put a table near a wall, tack it up and drape it over the table. Take a far shot and some close up of all angles. Use a lamp and turn off flash.

Don't set a reserve and start auctions low. I know most people are worried about their shit not selling or losing money, but ebay is really a gamble. If somethings hot that you know you can get 250.00 for, don't be an idiot and start the auctcion at 250.00. You want to lure people in, start the auction low, I start most of my auctions at .99 or 9.99..If I'm selling a high priced item (like a pair of dior jeans or something) i'll start it up at 19.99 or maybe 29.99, but never something stupid like 1400.00. People want to know they can somehow get a deal.

Out of the 3 years I've been using ebay, I've only lost money on something I've sold, at most, 4 or 5 times.

definitely obtain the name of the sneaker

take alot of pictures, and fuck the webcam, borrow an actual digital camera, set up some lighting, take some good, quality detail shots

take pics from every fucking angle

take pics of the heels and toes, take pics of any damage, do not just state in the description

fuck the times new roman in 12 font, be a little creative

and definitely do not forget to add any descriptive words in the title

nike, vintage, ds, deadstock, retro, those kinds of things, the size as well

Quote:

ebay is my source of income. I've learned a few things. The most important thing is BE HONEST (though there are exceptions :)). The worst thing you can do is passing off a fake as a real or something dumb like that. You'll get negative feedback and you can get in trouble. The exceptions of course if is something like clothes, like a sweater, shirt or something is in superb condition it would be hard to tell if its used, then you can take the liberty to say its been worn a couple times or once (or maybe new if you still have the tags)..but if something is obviously worn out, like the material is worn out and your sneakers are creased to shit with beat up bottoms, dont' try to fool anyone.

Take as many clear pictures as possible and research and write down everything there is to know about what you're selling.

The best way to take a picture is to use a neutral backdrop. Just buy a yard or two of plain white and plain black fabric and put a table near a wall, tack it up and drape it over the table. Take a far shot and some close up of all angles. Use a lamp and turn off flash.

Don't set a reserve and start auctions low. I know most people are worried about their shit not selling or losing money, but ebay is really a gamble. If somethings hot that you know you can get 250.00 for, don't be an idiot and start the auctcion at 250.00. You want to lure people in, start the auction low, I start most of my auctions at .99 or 9.99..If I'm selling a high priced item (like a pair of dior jeans or something) i'll start it up at 19.99 or maybe 29.99, but never something stupid like 1400.00. People want to know they can somehow get a deal.

Out of the 3 years I've been using ebay, I've only lost money on something I've sold, at most, 4 or 5 times.

--- Original message by mouko on Dec 11, 2005 07:20 PM

are you a vintage seller on ebay?

I was under the impression that you sold off the stuff you owned when you got tired of it, or before it was seriously out of fashion?

I found the best way to get money on fashion items is to show very realistic pictures and a somewhat ambiguous description. If you look too high-budget (and not run-out-of-the-home), your items have a higher chance of looking counterfeit. I get more money when I sell with basic pictures, a small description and an explanation about the sizing and sometimes where I bought it as well.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by mouko on Dec 11, 2005 07:20 PM

are you a vintage seller on ebay?

I was under the impression that you sold off the stuff you owned when you got tired of it, or before it was seriously out of fashion?

--- Original message by breakfasteatre on Dec 11, 2005 07:27 PM

I used to sell vintage clothing when I lived in San Francisco, because they had serious flea market and thrift stores there. Since moving to NY however, I've been selling garments I obtain from sample sales/sales/overstocks and my old stuff. NYC just doesn't have the resources san francisco had, all the stores here are marked up like mad and NYC is filled with these vintage boutiques because fashion is such a big deal here, it's hard to find a "good deal".

when I lived in SF, I mainly delt in womens vintage clothing (pucci, chanel, YSL..etc) because there was a huge amount people were selling at flea markets and such...I wasn't into jeans or designer men's clothing back then (those were my urban days and the only high end designer I was into was marc jacobs)..but I'm sure I passed by a shit load of vintage jeans. I think I'm gonna have to have a look around when I come back for the holidays.

The levis museum/factory tour is dope, I suggest you check it out sometime. They have super old levis on display that are stiff as a board.

two ways to build up feedback are Buy it Nows and also private auctions. that way youre not dealing with too much BS, you know what to expect from the buyer and from my experience transactions tend to go more smoothly..

i echo the suggestions posted already.

also, try to print up some sort of "business card" with your ebay name that you can place in all the pictures you take of the items you are selling..

i'm probably too "green" to really give useful advice, only sold 3 items so far...

i ddin't do anything special, took a few photos, added things like "no apc, big e, selvage" etc etc if my item was in a similar market range.

don't think there are that many secret tips and tricks, if you've got a hot item it'll sell for lots, if you don't then you're out of luck i guess.

what i've never understood is why if a 0 feedback bidder emails you, that makes it alright??

someone with experience want to answer that?

nairb49

If they go to the trouble of emailing you first, if you ask for that, then you can be reasonably confident they'll follow thru and pay you. If they don't, you know they're deadbeats and cancel their bids as they come in.

I would add to this, work out the postage, people like to know what it's gonna cost them. You get more money if you take PayPal. And if you sell using PayPal ALWAYS ship using a method with tracking. (If you don't, your buyer can claim the item didn't arrive, and get their money back, no problem).

Personally, I alwyas point out the flaws very carefully and photograph them. If you point out the flaws, people will assume everything else is legit, and often they'll bid more on your stuff than on items that claim to be perfect, but where you feel you can't trust the seller.

Re the Levi's factory tour - it was cool, but they've stopped it now sadly, I think the building's being converted into apartments.

Paul, what you mentioned about shipping with tracking doesn't work in every case. I think for cheap items, buyers won't want to pay shipping which will cost almost as much as their item. I guess in those cases, it's a gamble for us sellers.

PS: your decision of putting up picture of the worn in pair of lees 101z is genius!

You're right. But i try to list the tracking cost separately and ask them to email specifically to request shipping without tracking, whihc makes it less likely PayPal will do a chargeback. In the UK, for small items, tracking's only 64 pence extra or so.

Glad you thought that re the Lees - don't know why I did it, but I've had emails asking if I'll sell the old ones, too!

One thing i do is look at completed listings for items similar to the ones i'm selling. I find the auctions with the highest ending price and check their headlines for any catch words, like NOT supreme, or punk, EMO, goth (as lame as that might seem). These catch words are often things that increase viewers and that broaden the types of people that see your auction. Use some of the catch phrases you saw work best for other people in your auction and you might find yourself a little bit luckier than the guys listing just the brand name and size.

If you're selling a hot item and doing a buy it now, look at ending prices for completed listings and pick a price on the higher end of what most sell for, add on ten bucks and advertise free shipping. free shipping usually makes people buy your item before the other buy it nows even though after shipping and all yours costs more.

Edited by crisis on Dec 13, 2005 at 06:43 PM

My tip is to make sure you send everything however cheap the item using registered mail, unless the buyer insists that you send it using normal mail. It's just a means of protecting your rights.

In addition, never, ever, agree to trade outside ebay. If someone wants to strike a deal with you, put up a private auction. The risk is just too high if you carry out a transaction without using ebay at all.

This is all random.......

I usually have an idea of who my buyers would be, I mean their personality and or behavior. Then I put something in my description stuff that talks to them. Like a pseudo ad, keeping it short and simple.